Infiniti QX30 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had an unfortunate issue yesterday. While lifting the wiper arm to clean the windshield, the wiper came off in my hand. The metal arm then retracted directly on the glass and cracking the windshield.

It appears that there is only a small metal tab at the end of the arm that is supposed to lock into the wiper blade. Obviously not much of a connection to have the wiper come off so easily.

By the way, the cost of a factory windshield is over $3000

Anyone else have this issue? Dealer won’t warranty the repair and Infiniti customer service defers this back to the dealer. Very disappointing for sure.

·
Super Moderator
404 Posts
That really sucks. Unfortunately this wouldn’t be a warranty issue, so it’s an expensive mistake. I’m not sure why you’d think they’d cover this.

If you’re okay with aftermarket glass, check Safelite. Their website gave me a quick quote of $539. Still not cheap, but better than $3000.

Reactions: Rapidfirerob4

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good news. The dealer covered the cost of windshield replacement.

And yeah, wiper blades are not supposed to fall out of the arm so warranty is applicable

·
Registered
107 Posts
I knew it! Same exact thing happened to me. But, I was an idiot and had my windshield replaced by Safelite and then told dealer after the fact. And without the broken glass they couldn't fix it under warranty. If I wasn't in such a rush to fix it, I could have had a free windshield. These wipers are f'ing ridiculous. I've gone through 3 courtesy pair from the dealership because they don't stay locked! UGH!!! Good for you Geoff for getting this done.

I did get an OEM windshield though, and it was a little over 400 due to the negotiated insurance rate. Yep, it's over a 1k for it. I tried to get them to use the Mercedes Saint Gobain glass, but I still got Infiniti's official OEM which isn't really their brand, but I had it in my last G35. It just says GS on it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Thought I'd include the dialogue between me and the dealership's service manager.

C,

I would think if we installed defective wipers it would have shown up before now but nevertheless I am unable to pay for a windshield that you have already replaced.

Thanks,

Infiniti of Gwinnett
Service Manager

On Mar 15, 2018, at 2:55 PM, c wrote:

I don't think they've recycled it yet? I could probably see if they could deliver it to you? If I had any idea this was a warranty claim, I would have definitely brought it to you first. I was unsure about the defectiveness of the wiper until after the fact. Of course, minimally, I need all new wiper blades. But, ideally, I believe I should be reimbursed for this in some manner. Last year, aftermarket hitch company didn't reinstall my muffler tips correctly, you all replaced them, hitch company reimbursed me. Infiniti installed defective wipers, windshield broke, another company replaced, Infiniti should reimburse.

Best,
C

On Thursday, March 15, 2018, 1:39:38 PM EDT, wrote:

C,

I would need to see your qx30 with the broken windshield and the wiper that caused the damage. If the wiper caused the damage I would be able to submit a warranty claim, from what I’m reading it has already been changed and you need wipers to prevent this from happening again.
Not certain what I can do at this point but what would you like me to do.

Thanks

Infiniti of Gwinnett
Service Manager

On Mar 15, 2018, at 12:49 PM, c wrote:

, last weekend, I broke my windshield. I had the wipers in the upright position to wash the windshield, and when I dropped them back into place, the passenger side wiper came off the housing as it was lowering and chipped the glass; I put it back in place as I thought correctly, and again it slid off and cracked the windshield more. Fast forward the next day, and the crack was across the windshield by about 2 feet. I know that they are not the factory wipers and Gwinnett Infiniti replaced them after I owned the car for about... 5 months. Let's say May of last year (I'd have to look at the receipt). Bottom line, they are defective (or the housing has a flaw and the wipers will never truly lock into place) and do not lock into place. I asked the Safelite tech to make sure they were locked into place, and he was unable to (I have video but too large to attach). If these wipers were not defective and remained clipped into place, my windshield would be in tact and I wouldn't be out over 400 dollars. I was originally going to just eat this cost, but after watching the tech unsuccessfully secure them, I don't think this was my fault. How can this be remedied?

Thanks,
C

·
Registered
107 Posts
p07r0457, you mentioned you got a quote for a windshield. Did your windshield break too? For same reason or more traditional issue, like a rock hitting it from the road?

·
Super Moderator
404 Posts
p07r0457, you mentioned you got a quote for a windshield. Did your windshield break too? For same reason or more traditional issue, like a rock hitting it from the road?
No, I'm still on my factory windshield, with no issues.

I only did a quote at Safelite.com because OP said they were quoted $3,000, so I wanted them to know there were more economical options.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts