Infiniti QX30 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for forum member feedback (other than the vendor) on the Unavi upgrade, specifically for Apple CarPlay. The only benefit I am really interested in is the hands-free texting that works so well in CarPlay. The OEM hands free calling and audio streaming is fine as it is, and if I need visual navigational maps I will just use the OEM nav.

1. Does the iPhone connect over Bluetooth or is a cable required?

2. How does the interface work when toggling between the Infiniti OEM screen and CarPlay?

3.What was the installation cost?

Any detail on personal likes/dislikes and overall usage experience would be much appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
565 Posts
I don't have Unavi, but I can tell you that CarPlay must be either hardwired or use a dedicated WiFi network. It can never be done over only Bluetooth.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have Unavi, but I can tell you that CarPlay must be either hardwired or use a dedicated WiFi network. It can never be done over only Bluetooth.
That’s not entirely true, but hardwire is the most often used interface. I have an Alpine iLX-007 which I installed in my Sierra truck. This was an early CarPlay unit (no android auto, just Apple), and it connects solely by Bluetooth and works flawlessly.

Aside from that, I travel for work quite often, and there are several rental cars that have OEM CarPlay interfaces that also work over just Bluetooth....just last week the Hyundai Sonata I rented had CarPlay via Bluetooth.

·
Super Moderator
565 Posts
That’s not entirely true, but hardwire is the most often used interface. I have an Alpine iLX-007 which I installed in my Sierra truck. This was an early CarPlay unit (no android auto, just Apple), and it connects solely by Bluetooth and works flawlessly.

Aside from that, I travel for work quite often, and there are several rental cars that have OEM CarPlay interfaces that also work over just Bluetooth....just last week the Hyundai Sonata I rented had CarPlay via Bluetooth.
Incorrect. The Alpine ILX-007 has WiFi to support wireless CarPlay.

The head unit establishes WiFi hotspot specifically for CarPlay.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That article seems to reference an early design that Alpine was working on, and that Apple made OS changes to allow connection over Bluetooth.
I have never connected to WiFi in my truck or in a rental car.
Tomorrow I’ll do a test with the phone in airplane mode and only Bluetooth “on” and see if it connects.

·
Super Moderator
565 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry for the slow follow up. The Alpine does indeed use Bluetooth and WiFi to run CarPlay.... and it does it in a semi covert way. By that I mean you don't ever need to join or sign into a WiFi network, it sort of uses the WiFi to transmit data. When I disable WiFi, I get a notice that it is needed for CarPlay. Once you pair with the BT, the WiFi portion is fully automatic and just happens behind the scene.
I will attempt to try this with other, newer CarPlay systems in my future rental cars, but I presume they will all do the same thing.

·
Super Moderator
565 Posts
Sorry for the slow follow up. The Alpine does indeed use Bluetooth and WiFi to run CarPlay.... and it does it in a semi covert way. By that I mean you don't ever need to join or sign into a WiFi network, it sort of uses the WiFi to transmit data. When I disable WiFi, I get a notice that it is needed for CarPlay. Once you pair with the BT, the WiFi portion is fully automatic and just happens behind the scene.
I will attempt to try this with other, newer CarPlay systems in my future rental cars, but I presume they will all do the same thing.
Right. That’s what I’ve been saying... WiFi is required and is used for the actual H.264 stream. This is standard for all wireless CarPlay connections. It doesn’t work without WiFi.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I suppose my original question should have been...Is this aftermarket system completely wireless, or is a cable required?

·
Registered
Sportage IV, 20 / QX30 AWD, 18
27 Posts
I suppose my original question should have been...Is this aftermarket system completely wireless, or is a cable required?
Actually INBOX solution with UNavi needs wire connection to work. But I'm pretty sure that it is possible to so it full wireless with additional adapter like other custom solutions does....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts