Infiniti QX30 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for forum member feedback (other than the vendor) on the Unavi upgrade, specifically for Apple CarPlay. The only benefit I am really interested in is the hands-free texting that works so well in CarPlay. The OEM hands free calling and audio streaming is fine as it is, and if I need visual navigational maps I will just use the OEM nav.

1. Does the iPhone connect over Bluetooth or is a cable required?

2. How does the interface work when toggling between the Infiniti OEM screen and CarPlay?

3.What was the installation cost?

Any detail on personal likes/dislikes and overall usage experience would be much appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
494 Posts
I don't have Unavi, but I can tell you that CarPlay must be either hardwired or use a dedicated WiFi network. It can never be done over only Bluetooth.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have Unavi, but I can tell you that CarPlay must be either hardwired or use a dedicated WiFi network. It can never be done over only Bluetooth.
That’s not entirely true, but hardwire is the most often used interface. I have an Alpine iLX-007 which I installed in my Sierra truck. This was an early CarPlay unit (no android auto, just Apple), and it connects solely by Bluetooth and works flawlessly.

Aside from that, I travel for work quite often, and there are several rental cars that have OEM CarPlay interfaces that also work over just Bluetooth....just last week the Hyundai Sonata I rented had CarPlay via Bluetooth.

·
Super Moderator
494 Posts
That’s not entirely true, but hardwire is the most often used interface. I have an Alpine iLX-007 which I installed in my Sierra truck. This was an early CarPlay unit (no android auto, just Apple), and it connects solely by Bluetooth and works flawlessly.

Aside from that, I travel for work quite often, and there are several rental cars that have OEM CarPlay interfaces that also work over just Bluetooth....just last week the Hyundai Sonata I rented had CarPlay via Bluetooth.
Incorrect. The Alpine ILX-007 has WiFi to support wireless CarPlay.

The head unit establishes WiFi hotspot specifically for CarPlay.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That article seems to reference an early design that Alpine was working on, and that Apple made OS changes to allow connection over Bluetooth.
I have never connected to WiFi in my truck or in a rental car.
Tomorrow I’ll do a test with the phone in airplane mode and only Bluetooth “on” and see if it connects.

·
Super Moderator
494 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts