Infiniti QX30 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious... I don't get anywhere near the 27 mpg combined number. Not complaining because I know I like to drive it 'spirited' in S mode, my commute to the office is very short (6 miles) and (if by itself it makes a dif) I also have the Dinantronics boost controller & a K&N drop in filter.
I am getting about 23-24 MPG. The one semi-long trip I took on the highway (30 miles), the MPG was in the upper 20's.

Just curious what everyone else is experiencing. :confused:

·
Super Moderator
404 Posts
My wife puts the majority of miles on the QX30 and she averages 26-27mpg. Lots of city driving, as it's her commute vehicle.

We ran errands, a couple days ago, and I drove. I averaged 30.5mpg on the 25.6 mile trip, according to the trip computer. Although I often use "S", I stayed in "E" for that trip.

I've seen 34mpg running to Costco and back, on more than one occasion.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Lifetime (16K+ miles) average MPG: 24.6

I drive mostly highway so I'm disappointed with the lifetime average MPG. However, there's something about Florida roads and this powertrain that encourages my right foot to drive at Autobahn speeds, so it's not too bad. Ugh, but then I remember that my BMW X5 (6-cylinder) got around 22.6 MPG combined for a 7-seater.

If I drive within 10 MPH of the speed limit, I can get close to 29 MPG on highway trips, but that's no fun because I have to drive the vehicle like a Prius driver. I haven't bothered to check city driving MPG, but I bet it's not great. If I stretch it, I can get almost 350 miles to a tank.

As cheap as gas is right now (~$3.19/gallon premium), I'm not too impressed with this car's fuel economy especially compared with other cars I've owned. Despite those cars being naturally aspirated, heavier, and older, they got nearly the same fuel economy, +/- 2 MPG, with similar driving habits.

Still, fuel economy is not a major concern of mine.

Reactions: Chris92SE

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had the 2007 RDX and you literally had to baby it to get 17 mpg. If you drove it like it was meant to be driven, you got about 14 or 15 and that was just a 2.3 turbo. Even on 5 Hour Highway trips, I was lucky to get 19 or 20. I’m sure their new ones get great results. My ex 35 gets between 17 and 19 in the city and up to 26 on the highway.
I’m not too worried about it either, just sometimes it can help indicate if there is an issue someplace or not. Your numbers, Zee, actually make me feel more at ease since they sound like mine. Another interesting thing I found is that my daily trip numbers are usually 26 or 27 but my time since refilling the tank when I’m finally done ends up being around 23 or 24.
I still love this car like crazy

·
Registered
148 Posts
About two weeks ago, I had a 2018 Toyota Camry as a rental in Denver, Colorado. I'm sure the altitude affected the performance so it did feel "slow" by QX30 at sea level standards. Driving around the elevation changes at Rocky Mountain National Park, highway, and some routine city driving, I was averaging 32 MPG. I was very impressed especially since I was by no means trying to drive in a frugal manner.

Needless to say, I think we're doomed to sub-25 MPG based on our driving habits and the performance this car offers.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I am getting 21-22 mpg in suburb/city driving, and I am very happy with the mpg I am getting from QX30. This is probably my first car that goes above 20 mpg, and I use Shell/Mobile/Exxon/Sunoco 93. Tire pressures are usually 2-3 psi higher than the factory recommendation when cold.

I mostly drive in E, and I coast as much as I can before I get shot in my head.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I began tracking my monthly mpg when I got the car. I'm around 27,000 miles total now, lots of highway driving - the average of all of my monthly averages is 28.6mpg.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am taking it from Phx to Flagstaff this weekend...a good 2+ hrs uphill there and another 2+ hrs downhill on the way home. I am hoping for upper 20's but I really wouldn't be surprised if it hit 30...at least on the way home!
TBC...

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, it did well. 29 MPG from Phx to Flag with 3 adults and from 1000 ft above sea level to 7000 feet. (150 miles)... at 75-80 mph

35 mpg on the way home...downhill. Average for the trip was 32.6 per the computer. Pretty happy about the results!

·
Registered
148 Posts
What a coincidence, I too managed to get 29 MPG on a 240 mile trip a few days ago (95% highway). I utilized the Intelligent Cruise Control and kept my max speed at 80 MPH. Occasionally, I got bored and floored it to overtake other vehicles, but nearly all of the driving was driving at or around 80 MPH. I know that's plenty fast, but the highways in Florida are so silky smooth and straight, a contrast from the D.C. Metropolitan Area where I'm originally from.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have been a bit underwhelmed with the MPG on the freeway. I have never gotten 30 mpg on an all highway trip, even if I set the cruise to around 68 mph and just me in the car (I did that just for a test over 200 miles). I usually set the cruise at 72, since the speed limit on the west side of the state is 65 and the computer and my calculations are usually in the 25-27 range.

I recently took a trip on an open interstate going east (70 mph limit), where I averaged about 75-80 mph and it was around 24 mpg. I did have a bit of head wind, too.

I have been better with the in-town driving, where it is about 20 mpg.

The car is pretty much always in ECO mode and I only use premium fuel.

·
Registered
123 Posts
That seems a bit odd @Chris92SE. 24mpg on a highway trip? Even with traffic and stop/go, I still (personally) see 27+mpg on the highway. If there's no stop/go, then I see 30+ all the time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
After about six weeks for driving, we average around 24.2 mpg. 2018 AWD, almost always in E mode. Premium gas only.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I live in Atlanta, horrible traffic. This is my daily commute car. Also, I have AWD, so that knocks some off the top in comparison with front wheel drive only QX30s.

So, with that being said:
My long term average is about 25.1-.4 I believe (I think this check resets every 9999k miles?)
City driving: 24-27ish. Really, really, really bad traffic, it's been as low as about 20/21.
Highway driving: High 26 all the way to just about 31.

31 is the stated highway mileage for this car, and those stats are usually pretty impossible to meet since they are tested under extremely ideal circumstances, so I'm surprised I ever got 31.

It seems external temperature differences do affect my mpg performance as well--I'm sure there's some sciencey stuff (queue an explanation from p07r0457 on this :) ) behind that.

I had a 2002 Saab turbo with a stick that would get well into the 40's with highway driving. I miss that car. But I hated working on that thing and it ALWAYS needed work.

·
Registered
62 Posts
That seems a bit odd @Chris92SE. 24mpg on a highway trip? Even with traffic and stop/go, I still (personally) see 27+mpg on the highway. If there's no stop/go, then I see 30+ all the time.
I think that was because of the speed (75+) along with a headwind of probably 25 mph.

Still, I haven't been getting 30 ever. I do have an AWD, but I generally drive alone and use the cruise a lot. I don't have adaptive cruise, but I have the Premium with everything else.

·
Super Moderator
404 Posts
Still, I haven't been getting 30 ever. I do have an AWD, but I generally drive alone and use the cruise a lot. I don't have adaptive cruise, but I have the Premium with everything else.
What screen do you typically use on the instrument cluster, while driving? If you're not using the "Instant MPG" meter, then consider trying that... I find it keeps me conscious about how my throttle inputs affect fuel economy.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I think that was because of the speed (75+) along with a headwind of probably 25 mph.

My fuel economy average if I'm driving triple digit speeds (MPH) is 24-25, so that sounds about right. However, going up an down I-75, I can easily get 29 MPG with cruise control set to 80 MPH. I also have AWD.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts