Infiniti QX30 Forum banner

81 - 92 of 92 Posts

·
Super Moderator
403 Posts
Do you leave your key near the vehicle? I would recommend not doing that. Store the key sufficiently far away from the vehicle so they cannot communicate.

That said, I do think the Mercedes system is chatty and power-hungry. Per the manual, they recommend replacing the key fob battery every 18 months or 15k miles. That's considerably more frequently than most other vehicles, in my experience.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My key is kept far from the vehicle when I’m not driving. Seems there must be some increased communication (causing battery drain) if key is not in the ignition slot while driving. Just too coincidental.

·
Super Moderator
403 Posts
I believe it’s been demonstrated that the key and vehicle stop communicating after the vehicle moves a mile or two, as long as no doors have been opened.

There is one member who accidentally left his key on top of his glass roof and drove from Los Angles to San Diego. The key was close enough for vehicle to start and drive, but the key fell off the roof at some point and the vehicle didn’t notify the driver.

I was surprised, at the time, that the vehicle wouldn’t notice the missing key, so I ran some tests in my neighborhood. I drove around and would test leaving the key in my mailbox and driving off. I would get a notification only if I moved the key away from the vehicle before moving the vehicle, or if a door was opened and the key moved away. If I had already driven the vehicle and I passed the key through the window (to simulate the key “fallling off the roof”) then no notification occurred. So it does seem that the vehicle/key go dormant until the vehicle checks for the key, again, such as when you open a door.

Reactions: Rapidfirerob4

·
Registered
53 Posts
I rotate my 14 CLA key fobs every year and haven't replaced a battery yet. Now that we finally got a second key fob for the QX30,
we'll be doing the same.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've been using this same push button for almost a year. No issues. Works just like it should and you would expect a push button to work. Put foot on brake and push the button. Why this isn't standard item is beyond me. The key itself is just a FOB.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had same issue. Put up with it and eventually the key did die. Replaced key battery and it went back to normal and no message. I think these keys don't last long. Bought a 10pk of batteries on amazon for $6.

·
Registered
16 Posts
They're definitely all working off the exact same playbook. The good news I extracted is that there isn't anything wrong with making my customers happy. You buy a QX50 from me and you'll get push-button start if you want it.

Oh, and just to plug myself some more, we have 4 times the number of in-stock QX30's as any other Norcal dealer. If you want choices, I'm the person to see.
Still work there?
They're definitely all working off the exact same playbook. The good news I extracted is that there isn't anything wrong with making my customers happy. You buy a QX50 from me and you'll get push-button start if you want it.

Oh, and just to plug myself some more, we have 4 times the number of in-stock QX30's as any other Norcal dealer. If you want choices, I'm the person to see.
Still there?

Still there?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Works like an absolute charm!

What I find interesting is all the press photos of the QX30 on Infiniti Online Newsroom shows this Start/Stop button installed. The question is why didn't Infiniti include it on these first batch of cars? Per Mercedes forums, if it works, your car has all the wiring harnesses, door handles, etc. Would Infiniti really have excluded this to save $30? Are they trying to make this an entry-level car without push button ignition? Did Mercedes not want them to use their Push Button Start?
Can you send me a link for Amazon (USA) sight? I'd like to give this a go as I just purchased a 2017 QX30 Sport.

·
Super Moderator
403 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for the update guys. First update is completed. Mercedes Benz push button ordered and installed and it works perfectly. Thanks.!

81 - 92 of 92 Posts