Infiniti QX30 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

Hopping into this forum and saying hello because I have a QX30 (ink black) all loaded up but I'm having a hard time loving it.

I have a lease, as I get a new vehicle every year through my company. Very quickly I picked this one out because for SOME reason they had slashed the lease rate on it forty percent. Having said that, I jumped on it. (As they can disappear even as you refresh the screen as you're picking out your lease vehicle) Picked it up yesterday. Yeah it's small, and if you're over six foot ...how do you even not hit your head at the top? No remote start, the doors don't unlock when you park, the engine cuts off when you brake and there is ZERO storage. Heck the handbooks that come with the car barely fit in the glove compartment! We had to squeeze then shut it fast!

I'm trying to love it, it really feels like a sports car - which I didn't expect.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hey everyone!

Hopping into this forum and saying hello because I have a QX30 (ink black) all loaded up but I'm having a hard time loving it.

I have a lease, as I get a new vehicle every year through my company. Very quickly I picked this one out because for SOME reason they had slashed the lease rate on it forty percent. Having said that, I jumped on it. (As they can disappear even as you refresh the screen as you're picking out your lease vehicle) Picked it up yesterday. Yeah it's small, and if you're over six foot ...how do you even not hit your head at the top? No remote start, the doors don't unlock when you park, the engine cuts off when you brake and there is ZERO storage. Heck the handbooks that come with the car barely fit in the glove compartment! We had to squeeze then shut it fast!

I'm trying to love it, it really feels like a sports car - which I didn't expect.
Welcome to the forum! This is my first lease experience and I had the same exact thoughts in my first couple of days of ownership, minus the remote start feature. We have a car seat in the back and if my wife was an inch taller, there's no way she could fit comfortably in the passenger seat (the car seat is behind the passenger seat as I'm six feet tall). I purchased this car on a near whim after negotiating a really great deal on this car. I was actually leaning toward a fully loaded Outback with EyeSight. However, 90% of the time I drive the vehicle is by myself. It's the main reason I sold my BMW X5.

I'm getting over some of the faults of the vehicle and perhaps I admittedly jumped on the deal without considering all aspects of the vehicle. However, in my experience after looking at about fifteen vehicles, there was no one car that met all of my needs. Budget wasn't really an issue and I was more concerned with having a car I could live with for the next three years.

I'm still on the first tank of gas since picking up the vehicle last month, but I very much enjoy the intelligent cruise control, the amazing LED headlights, the awesome sound system, and torque-y engine. Don't get me wrong, I still hate the lack of storage space, the lack of an auto unlocking feature, and the fact the black color doesn't stay clean for more than a day.

I currently have a case open with Infiniti Consumer Affairs about the auto unlocking and some other concerns. I would encourage you to browse the general discussion threads on this forum and you'll see that many of the other owners have the same complaints.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for jumping in here! I have two kids. Two teens. They're not short either. Uh oh!

The cost of this car for me was very, very cheap because for some reason (and I think maybe now I know it's not selling well) the system marked it very, very low. I mean it's under $200 a month.

Some of the larger cars of the Q brand have the intelligent driving feature where.... you get too close to a line in the road or the vehicle in front of you and it brakes or turns the wheel for you. While I do have the premium edition, I don't think our cars have this, do they?

I've had the 2015 Pathfinder Platinum, the 2016 Pathfinder Platinum, now the 2017 QX30 .... I think I'll be going for the 2018 Titan or Armada ... Just one year with this, is what I keep telling myself.

Any insight or help you can provide I'm open to hearing. Also I'll keep a watch for results with your cases - I'm eager to know the results.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Welcome to the forums.. I would naturally say congratulations on getting the QX30 through the company but... it seems like it just really isn't working out for you at all. There's no possible way you can make a little tradesie it seems :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Very Disapointed

I'm new to the form but totally agree with your comments . I previous owned 3 other Infiniti 's and enjoyed everyone of them but my QX 30 Premium AWD is probably the worst car I ever owned and I'm in my 60's. I had a QX 50 and decided to downsize since I just retired and no longer need a bigger SUV and thats why I went to the QX 30. Infiniti really produced a flop with this car and it's sales of 700 to 1000 cars a month is proof .I got mine the beginning of November so I had one of the first ones out and was at the Dealer complaining about all the deficiencies in this car at least once a week. The door locks not opening , radio display always defaulting to the Nav screen when you start the car, can't change the radio station from the steering wheel, uncomfortable seats compared to all my other Infiniti 's ,bouncy ride, interior noise level high,confusining Information System,no push button start, non-opening moon roof and I can go on and on! Having 50 percent of the car Mercedes is probably the major problem.My car is the 46,000 one with every option available and must admit it is very high tech for a lower end car. The car does have great looks,Bose sound system is excellent compared to my other Infiniti's,and for a 4 cy engine it has just as much power as my QX 50 V6. If I didn't have a lease I would of traded it in the first month I had it but now stuck for 38 months. The good thing is that I'm retired and don't drive as much. Driving my QX 30 is not a enjoyable experience and might think twice before buying another Infiniti.
For everyone's information there is a air bag recall on early production QX 30 so check with your dealer if your one of the lucky ones!

·
Registered
82 Posts
It's interesting to see the reasons for some buyers/leasers remorse. It appears most of the concerns could have/should have been noticed during the test drive... and buying a car without ever taking it for a test drive is something that I could certainly never do... yikes! This is my 3rd Infiniti and I still spent over 2 hours test driving and sitting in this car playing with and comparing all the functions and features before I bought it.

In hindsight, which cars do you wish you would have bought/leased instead?

, can't change the radio station from the steering wheel, ....
no push button start,
You can accomplish both of these.
Toggle to the Audio menu and then you can flip through your presets.
Buy a $40 dollar part from Amazon and simply plug it into the keyhole to have push button start.

Some of the larger cars of the Q brand have the intelligent driving feature where.... you get too close to a line in the road or the vehicle in front of you and it brakes or turns the wheel for you. While I do have the premium edition, I don't think our cars have this, do they?
I have the fully loaded premium AWD version and it does have the forward emergency braking feature. I don't have the guts to test it but I pray that it works if ever needed! Here's a MB video showing details - https://youtu.be/61PN4JrCLN4

I've never heard of a car that turns the wheel for you under emergencies, not sure I would want that feature... I think you are referring more to the auto-pilot feature like in the tesla?

·
Registered
4 Posts
To answer your question I would of bought another QX 50 even though it would not be downsizing which was my intent .It's in the same price range plus I happily drove one for two years.I did test drive the car for about 45 min but you can't find all the problems I discovered in one test drive, it took me at least a month to come up with my list plus in a initial test drive your impressed because it's new and everything seems better than what you had previously.The QX30 doesn't have the Intelligent Driving feature which I did have in my QX 50 which is another thing I miss because it does slow the car down and steers you back into your lane.I did purchase the push start 2 weeks after I got the car which does work well since it's a part made for a Mercedes which the QX30 engine and drivetrain are taken from.Another problem is parts availability for the Mercedes side, example is that I ordered another key fob when I purchased the car in November and the fob was available within a week.The problems was the key that is cut for the car and fits in the fob was backorder from Mercedes in Germany who were the only ones that could cut the key and I did not get the key till last week, almost a 4 month wait! Another surprise was the oil change schedule for the car which is every 10,000 miles,on all my other Infiniti's it was every 5,000 miles. A positive note is that the car is great in the snow, the Mercedes 4Matic AWD System works much better than the Infiniti one's that I had in my previous cars. I know sales for the QX30 are in the gutter because I haven't seen another QX30 on the road since I purchased mine on Nov 3.Granted I only drive 1000 miles a month since I'm retired and not the 30,000 a year that I did previously .

·
Registered
148 Posts
The QX30 doesn't have the Intelligent Driving feature which I did have in my QX 50 which is another thing I miss because it does slow the car down and steers you back into your lane.
You mentioned that you have the $46K model, which would include the Intelligent Cruise Control (ICC). While it does not steer back into the lane (it does provide gentle vibrations in the steering wheel), I can confirm that the ICC can bring your car down to a complete stop. Have you tried it out?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Infiniti had the steering control feature from 2012 and up, it was part of there Technology Package .It doesn't turn the steering wheel into a turn it just nudges you back into your lane if your crossing the white or double lines.Does work well,had in both of my previous infinities.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the vibration feature on my present QX30,my other two Infiniti's had the steering control.I have tested the ICC in this car and my previous cars, it worked better in the other Infiniti's because it gradually slowed you down way before it was a emergency .The QX30 just slams on the brakes at the last possible moment, I think this might be the Mercedes influence.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have some similar complaints about a few of the small things, but for the cost of the car, it was leaps and bounds better than the 2015 Subaru Impreza Sport Limited I had. The lease cost was the same for each and the QX30 is about $16k more list price.

My switch over to the Infiniti was getting a lot more bang for my buck and I look at the QX30 as a luxury version of a small AWD commuter car. I knew it was fairly small and knew it had very limited rear seating.

The Subaru had a $300/month lease because it had the upgrades of leather, moonroof, a bigger screen (no navigation) and push button start. In order to get navigation, you need to pay for an expensive package that also included EyeSight (automatic braking). The base model Subarus can be leased for $200, but I like leather. I didn't realize it was going to be so **** loud inside on the freeway.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I can sense your frustration with this car and that you have a major case of buyers/leasers remorse. It's certainly not the right car for everybody, no car is. On the plus side, at least you leased it and can wash your hands of it at the end of your lease.

Another surprise was the oil change schedule for the car which is every 10,000 miles,on all my other Infiniti's it was every 5,000 miles.
I would never follow a manufacturers recommendation for extended intervals for any lubrication service, those are more pr/marketing/sales driven initiatives. Ask any mechanical engineer or engine builder what they would recommend for their own cars and it's definitely not oil changes every 10k miles. I have a little over 1000 miles and have already done the first oil change on this car...

Infiniti had the steering control feature from 2012 and up, it was part of there Technology Package .It doesn't turn the steering wheel into a turn it just nudges you back into your lane if your crossing the white or double lines.Does work well,had in both of my previous infinities.
This is very interesting! I also have a 2014 Q50 loaded but without the tech package because it only came with wood trim that year and I can't stand wood trim so I passed on that option. I traded in a fully loaded 2011 G37x with the tech package but it didn't offer that feature. I'll be trading in my Q50 for the new Red Sport 400 Q50 once the weather warms up and am hoping the tech package won't require wood trim...

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have some similar complaints about a few of the small things, but for the cost of the car, it was leaps and bounds better than the 2015 Subaru Impreza Sport Limited I had. The lease cost was the same for each and the QX30 is about $16k more list price.

My switch over to the Infiniti was getting a lot more bang for my buck and I look at the QX30 as a luxury version of a small AWD commuter car. I knew it was fairly small and knew it had very limited rear seating.

The Subaru had a $300/month lease because it had the upgrades of leather, moonroof, a bigger screen (no navigation) and push button start. In order to get navigation, you need to pay for an expensive package that also included EyeSight (automatic braking). The base model Subarus can be leased for $200, but I like leather. I didn't realize it was going to be so **** loud inside on the freeway.
I posted earlier that I was looking at a Subaru Outback. Before that, I was looking at a fully loaded Impreza Limited 5-Door with EyeSight...and before that, a Crosstrek with EyeSight. The QX30 is excellent value for the money compared to those cars in this regard.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ah, lots to respond to here:

1. Yes, other Infiniti products like the 50 for instance do pull you back into the lane if it sense that you're going to cross the white or yellow lines. This is a fact, and I've experienced it.

2. The auto braking during cruise control does exist - I haven't tested it. I have heard reports that it lets you get preeetttttty darn close so I'm not even tempted to test it.

3. Why didn't I test it out for weeks before going into a lease? You have to understand that when you're a Nissan employee you must choose from a list if you don't want a fully customized vehicle. Yes, I have chosen those in the past, but this time I did not. Why did I pick it so quickly? Well because literally as you refresh the page these vehicles disappear. I was able to do a quick google, quick youtube video watch and then had to make a decision. They were slashed to SUCH LOW rates for the employee lease program they were disappearing within minutes. So yeah - I'm only stuck with it for a year. We get new vehicles every year :) But based upon my quick google and youtube (we're talking five minutes here is what I knew I had max) I jumped on it. I don't make uneducated and uninformed decisions on the regular, I was in a tough spot because let's just say this lease was less than my internet bill each month. :)

4. I've driven it some more, and while I don't understand why they didn't add some features that were super nice that I had in the Platinum Pathfinder which is the luxury SUV for Nissan - like heated steering wheel (and ya'll if I'm just missing where the heated steering wheel button is please tell me.) or birds eye view or the pass alert beeps if you're about to pass but theres someone in the lane you'll hit (think blind spot, dark night etc) I do find that I like you don't have to be at a full stop if you want to swap over blue tooth or enter something into the nav. Also the nav/speech system is WAY better than Nissan's. Trust me.

I'm enjoying how zippy it is, and it's a fun car sure, but I guess I joined this forum to find reasons to LOVE IT for the next year.

I can't say for sure they aren't selling well but I can say that there is a definite reason this Qx30 Premium for 2017 was slashed so low on ground stock for leases, they don't just do that unless there's a dang good reason. (maybe the auto start addition? and no i can't install a button because again, we take it into our nissan plant for maint. etc) But it happened for a reason.

Parking is nice, although I was used to my birds eye view camera to help park my big honkin' SUV, it's so nice to just zip in any parking place anywhere!

Next year I'll grab a larger vehicle. This was a surprise so I'm embracing it.

By the way - I hadn't noticed a steering wheel vibration if too close to the lines, I'll check that out!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts