Infiniti QX30 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, new to the forum. I have a 2018 QX30 that I just completed a lease buyout on. I like the car and have had no problems with it- until today. I rarely open the ceiling cover to the sunroof, here in Reno it gets hot and I have just left it closed. Maybe it's been opened and closed a dozen times in the past two years. This morning while driving I decided to open the ceiling cover, and immediately heard a cloth ripping sound... the opening was tearing the cloth ceiling as it opened. I stopped the opening, closed the cover. Thankfully the torn ceiling isn't visible but the cloth has been pulled and it can't be operated without further damage. Great, I just bought this car. Is this a recurring problem? I can't find an other owners who have experienced the problem.
Is this a repairable problem? Who should I contact at Infiniti? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
612 Posts
Do u have a pic? Maybe a car upholstery shop would be much cheaper than the stealership but since u just got it... probably best to run right back n show em.
They bought out their lease so they’ve had the car since new. This isn’t something a dealer is going to cover as a sales courtesy. MAYBE a warranty issue.

·
Registered
58 Posts
If you are still under the factory warranty, it should be covered.
Our roof had a similar issue where it didn't retract right and bunched up, and the dealer replaced the entire assembly. The rep said this issue is somewhat common and the replacement has a different design.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hello, new to the forum. I have a 2018 QX30 that I just completed a lease buyout on. I like the car and have had no problems with it- until today. I rarely open the ceiling cover to the sunroof, here in Reno it gets hot and I have just left it closed. Maybe it's been opened and closed a dozen times in the past two years. This morning while driving I decided to open the ceiling cover, and immediately heard a cloth ripping sound... the opening was tearing the cloth ceiling as it opened. I stopped the opening, closed the cover. Thankfully the torn ceiling isn't visible but the cloth has been pulled and it can't be operated without further damage. Great, I just bought this car. Is this a recurring problem? I can't find an other owners who have experienced the problem.
Is this a repairable problem? Who should I contact at Infiniti? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
Happened to mine too and I bought it brand new at the dealer. It was replaced in warranty. It's definitely a common issue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes you can get it repaired at infiniti this same thing happend to mine at about 54k miles and it took them about a week to get the part in and replaced and it cost around 1500$ thank god I had an extended warrenty that covered it so I only had to pay 100$ for deductible and they will give you a loaner vehicle if you make an appointment for one

·
Registered
1 Posts
The same thing happened to my fiance's 2017 qx30 last week. She was retracting the sun shade and heard a tearing sound. It tore on both sides so it wasn't simply a snag at one point. Her car is no longer under warranty so I'm guessing we're stuck with having it closed or possibly tearing it out completely. This car has been a lemon anyway with multiple issues so it may be time for her to cut her losses anyway.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had my 2017 QX30 since Oct 2019 and rarely opened the sunroof shade. Last weekend I decided to open it to enjoy the beautiful weather, my shade did the same thing. Made a crunching/tearing noise and the fabric bunched up. I closed it back up and the fabric was stretched out and loose. I happen to be just shy of my warranty expiring (thank gosh) and when I took it to the dealer they told me that it may not be covered by the warranty because it is considered a "trim" item and does not affect the way the vehicle runs. That was BS. I had them contact the warranty company again and it turns out this is a common issue with this car. Also, another common issue is that intermittently the navigation screen blacks out when I put the car in reverse. After putting it back it drive it stays black. Won't come back on until the next time I start the car. Unfortunately, the dealer said that because it is intermittent they can't find the source of the problem. Not sure what I can do about it now. Googled this issue and indeed a lot of other people have the same problem.
I know your post is rather old but since the issue with the sunroof just happened to me I googled this thread to see if indeed it was a common issue.

·
Registered
2018 Infiniti QX30 Premium (Mother's Car)
141 Posts
I have had my 2017 QX30 since Oct 2019 and rarely opened the sunroof shade. Last weekend I decided to open it to enjoy the beautiful weather, my shade did the same thing. Made a crunching/tearing noise and the fabric bunched up. I closed it back up and the fabric was stretched out and loose. I happen to be just shy of my warranty expiring (thank gosh) and when I took it to the dealer they told me that it may not be covered by the warranty because it is considered a "trim" item and does not affect the way the vehicle runs. That was BS. I had them contact the warranty company again and it turns out this is a common issue with this car. Also, another common issue is that intermittently the navigation screen blacks out when I put the car in reverse. After putting it back it drive it stays black. Won't come back on until the next time I start the car. Unfortunately, the dealer said that because it is intermittent they can't find the source of the problem. Not sure what I can do about it now. Googled this issue and indeed a lot of other people have the same problem.
I know your post is rather old but since the issue with the sunroof just happened to me I googled this thread to see if indeed it was a common issue.
It seems like a lot of people have the same issues you do. I would check another dealer and see what they say if you can.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts