Infiniti QX30 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is there no storage for sunglasses in this car? Is my only option a sunglass visor clip that indents the visor permanently?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Storage in this car is humorously underwhelming. Maybe take advantage of the front passenger seat storage box?

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried the passenger seat storage but it's a far reach and not convenient to access while driving. What is that storage box actually designed for? I just have a pen and a post-it pad in there since a few napkins seemed to fill up the glove box...

I'm afraid the USB storage slot will scratch the lens so I've been keeping the sunglass carry case in the door pocket and use that but that requires 2 hands so not too convenient either.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I tried the passenger seat storage but it's a far reach and not convenient to access while driving. What is that storage box actually designed for? I just have a pen and a post-it pad in there since a few napkins seemed to fill up the glove box...

I'm afraid the USB storage slot will scratch the lens so I've been keeping the sunglass carry case in the door pocket and use that but that requires 2 hands so not too convenient either.
In my previous Mercedes-Benz, the passenger seat storage held a first aid kit.

·
Registered
123 Posts
You could just keep it in its case in the center console. That's probably what I'm going to end up doing. I'll admit the storage in this car is lacking, but I'm taking this as an opportunity to minimize what I carry in my car. When I emptied out my old car, I literally filled a huge duffel bag, not counting a 3 foot snow scrapper and a golf umbrella.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My center console is already full... :( My wife daily drives this car so her sunglass case along with some handy wipes already filled it up.

I was hoping to find some type of clip or compartment that mounts above the rear view mirror where the oem compartments usually are. I have some ideas but prefer a plug and play solution.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've been keeping mine in the case in the driver door storage compartment.

I agree that I am finding the storage to be lacking and not very well thought out, especially compared to my previous car (2015 Subaru Impreza).

The Subaru had storage in the doors designed for a water bottle, storage in the console designed for a cell phone and USB ports under the armrest. The ones in the "ashtray" on the QX30 are too close to the lid, so anytime I use a thumb drive, I have to keep the lid in the up position.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a 2017 WRX as my daily driver and the only additional storage area it has that the QX30 doesn't is the tray console under the navigation screen and temp controls...? It doesn't have a sunglass storage compartment either but I use that center tray console for my sunglasses and usually keep my phone in one of the center cup holders behind the shifter. Granted the WRX glove box is significantly bigger and the door pockets seem wider as well but there is no storage compartment under the passenger seat like the QX30. I get annoyed at any car without a built in sunglass storage compartment and that is usually one of the first things I look for when riding in other cars...

Have you tried a micro USB drive in the QX30? It looks like there is enough room to close it but I haven't tried one yet. I'll have to get the one out of my WRX and try it in the QX30 this weekend.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have a 2017 WRX as my daily driver and the only additional storage area it has that the QX30 doesn't is the tray console under the navigation screen and temp controls...? It doesn't have a sunglass storage compartment either but I use that center tray console for my sunglasses and usually keep my phone in one of the center cup holders behind the shifter. Granted the WRX glove box is significantly bigger and the door pockets seem wider as well but there is no storage compartment under the passenger seat like the QX30. I get annoyed at any car without a built in sunglass storage compartment and that is usually one of the first things I look for when riding in other cars...

Have you tried a micro USB drive in the QX30? It looks like there is enough room to close it but I haven't tried one yet. I'll have to get the one out of my WRX and try it in the QX30 this weekend.
Wow you have a WRX q50 and qx30?? What else do you have? Lol

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The micro USB's fit fine and the lid closes without any issues!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Why is there no storage for sunglasses in this car? Is my only option a sunglass visor clip that indents the visor permanently?
I purchased a self-closing, sunglass holder, meant for a BMW X1, X3, & X5 series, from eBay for around $15. It replaces the driver roof handle, which my wife never uses (neither do I). I looked for a Mercedes GLA version, assuming it would fit perfectly, but at that time (November 2019), I only found them in tan color, and I needed black. I wasn't sure the BMW type would fit but it was cheap enough that I just ordered it. The feet have some adjustment rooms nd can slide right and left slightly, so it did fit, and it works well. The feet on the BMW holder are slightly smaller that the cut-outs in the roof panel, so, when you open up the holder and look inside, you can see a small area of the metal roof structure. I didn't care about the visible area, since it is fully hidden when closed. The BMW type were available in three colors (Black, Grey, Tan).

BMW X1 X3 X5 Sunglass Holder on eBay

Attached are pics of the unit. I will try to snap some actual installed photos and upload them tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
I snapped some photos even though its dark out. Due to the flash, the color difference between the headliner and sunglass holder looks very drastic....that said, even the OEM parts (headliner, sunroof cover, B-pillar) look like different shades of black. In the normal daylight, all the black parts look black and OEM. I'll take more photos tomorrow.
You can see where the mounting feet are slightly smaller than the feet on the OEM handle and there is a gap in coverage.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
403 Posts
The roof line is already so low that I hit my head getting in/out if I'm not careful. With sunglasses in the holder, doesn't that take away even more precious headroom?

·
Registered
19 Posts
The roof line is already so low that I hit my head getting in/out if I'm not careful. With sunglasses in the holder, doesn't that take away even more precious headroom?
It tucks itself into the void where the handle normally is...I didn’t notice that it takes up more space and I’m 6’-1”...but it is thicker than the handle, but I would guess you hit your head on the lower part of the roof where the door frame meets it, so I doubt you would hit your head on this.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
403 Posts
It tucks itself into the void where the handle normally is...I didn’t notice that it takes up more space and I’m 6’-1”...but it is thicker than the handle, but I would guess you hit your head on the lower part of the roof where the door frame meets it, so I doubt you would hit your head on this.
I paid extra attention to the handle, yesterday, and I definitely think this would cause issues, for me. I agree my head is hitting the A pillar, but once I'm in the car the handle is *right* there, and any additional protrusion would make me feel more claustrophobic and if I lean forward I think it would impact my head -- especially worrisome in a rear-end collision.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Why not just swap out the roof console from an A/CLA/GLA? I'm fairly sure all bar the base models came fitted with a sunglasses holder as standard. Just make sure to pull one from a car that wasn't fitted with the panoramic sunroof.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts