Infiniti QX30 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

So I test drove the QX30 and knew something was up! I drove down the street and the steering wheel was slanted to the left. I was assured it was not the car but the road (It was an older road so I didn't argue to much). Fast forward 2 weeks after purchasing the car and picking it up, only driving it 500 miles back home, the steering wheel really is crooked.

The paddle shifters don't even line up, it is terrible to drive. Has anyone else seen this happen? If I let go of the wheel, the car goes straight as an arrow. So it is clearly not the alignment of the wheels, it must be the set up of the steering wheel.

I scheduled a service for this Saturday, has anyone else seen this issue and/or had it resolved?

·
Super Moderator
404 Posts
The steering wheel attaches to the steering column via a splined shaft. If the vehicle tracks straight, then the alignment is likely okay, and the wheel is probably one or more splines off. Fixing this is straightforward: they will remove the steering wheel and re-install in the proper orientation. It's odd that it left the factory that way, but mistakes do occur.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the update. Yeah, I read on another Forum that this was something someone else saw as well.

I have an appointment for this issue set for Saturday and the dealer was helpful. The car only has 8000 miles as I literally just got it. Thankful for the CPO!

The car drives straight as an arrow so I figured it was not the wheel alignment, I hate to have to take off the steering wheel on week 1 of ownership but I am surprised the lady before my did not have it fixed. It was te first thing I noticed when I hit the 500 mile road trip home.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Good luck, Daniel. Likely, you came across my other thread on the steering wheel in this forum--I can link to it if need be. I had my car in for a total of... 2, 2.5 months for steering wheel crookedness. I had a lot of nice loaners. They thought I was crazy until they didn't.

The service manager worked on it. The lead tech worked on it. They brought out Infiniti engineers from corporate to work on it. There was a service bulletin about mismatched tires. They all worked on it forever. First thing they did was take the steering wheel off the column (I know because they punctured the divots on the side of the wheel to un-bolt it from the column and I made them replace the whole steering wheel after I noticed). It never came out right for me. It's... better, but switching out the tires to match made it a bit worse after they had previously got it mostly back to center. I just stopped asking and drive it as-is; I'm the only one who notices in my family.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SmittyLit - that is my nightmare!

I have driven tons of cars and never had this issue. Really do not want to have the steering wheel taken off and holes in my wheel.

Driving the 500 miles was the absolute worst thing, it was a smooth solid ride, but every time I looked down I was just sad. Using the paddle shifters made it feel totally wrong. My hands are more at 2 and 8 on a clock.

·
Registered
107 Posts
So, when you take it in, maybe you can tell them to reach out to the service manager at my dealership and skip ahead of a lot of basic troubleshooting steps they already tried so that they don't have to take the wheel off, because that was the first thing they checked and turned out to be entirely unnecessary. Let me know, and I'll message you directly my dealership's service manager contact info so they can get in touch.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Smittylit - Please message me the information. I can talk with the dealership before Saturday and they will be happy to do this I am sure.

I would make them replace the steering wheel if they put a hole in mine, it is basically a brand new car

·
Super Moderator
404 Posts
I don't understand how holes are being drilled/punched into the wheel?? How do they install the wheel initially differently than how they remove/re-install?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yep, agreed. I have no idea. I saw the holes, I asked. They said that's they are the access points to remove the steering wheel and the removed the wheel to see if that was the issue. On some GLA documentation I dug up it verified that you use, let's say, a hex wrench to loosen the bolts.

Then I asked for a new steering wheel. I too was unsure how in the world they can get a new one on without doing the same thing. I have no answers. All I know is that the holes in the sleeve are gone.

Funny thing is, I'm guessing they may need to remove the steering wheels on all our cars for the airbag recall? So if that's the case all of our steering wheels will then have the holes in them and my replacement will be a waste. Just a guess--I don't know much about airbag repair.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have no idea - I am going to talk with them tomorrow and Saturday and let everyone know. SmittyLit - can you send me your service information so I can have the dealership call?

·
Super Moderator
404 Posts
Yep, agreed. I have no idea. I saw the holes, I asked. They said that's they are the access points to remove the steering wheel and the removed the wheel to see if that was the issue.
Well I have looked up the relevant procedure in the Infiniti Service Manual and it does confirm that the steering wheel must be "pierced" to remove the airbag.

I am shocked!

I have an appointment, tomorrow, to have the PG7BS recall performed. I will be bringing this to their attention. I do NOT want to receive back a "damaged" wheel. If they need to replace the cover then I want to ensure they do so, instead of returning the original (damaged) wheel to me.

I also notice that the Service Manual indicates the bolt attaching the steering wheel to the shaft may not be reused and must be replaced.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
UPDATE***

So the steering wheel did not have to come off the car. They simply put a "deadman" on the steering wheel and aligned the wheels. It was perfect in about an hour.

The steering wheel was already off before for the recall and was replaced and put on crooked.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Well I have looked up the relevant procedure in the Infiniti Service Manual and it does confirm that the steering wheel must be "pierced" to remove the airbag.

I am shocked!

I have an appointment, tomorrow, to have the PG7BS recall performed. I will be bringing this to their attention. I do NOT want to receive back a "damaged" wheel. If they need to replace the cover then I want to ensure they do so, instead of returning the original (damaged) wheel to me.

I also notice that the Service Manual indicates the bolt attaching the steering wheel to the shaft may not be reused and must be replaced.
Did you take pics of the damaged wheel? I am taking my car in at the end of the month for the recall. I want to make sure it is all perfect when I get it back. I will be taking pics before of it, just in case. This is good info to know. I am not completely happy with this car and it just adds to the little things that are starting to add up.

·
Super Moderator
404 Posts
Did you take pics of the damaged wheel? I am taking my car in at the end of the month for the recall. I want to make sure it is all perfect when I get it back. I will be taking pics before of it, just in case. This is good info to know. I am not completely happy with this car and it just adds to the little things that are starting to add up.
I went to the dealership and advised them that I expected the vehicle returned to me in the same condition as I dropped it off -- and that means no new "holes" in any trim pieces. The vehicle was returned to me about 2 hours later WITHOUT the recall being performed. The dealer said they can't do the recall without damaging the steering wheel, and a new wheel is not covered as part of the recall/warranty. I have opened a case with Infiniti corporate and requested that they authorize replacement of any parts that are damaged -- intentional or otherwise -- while performing the recall. I am waiting to hear back from them.

Overall, I am NOT pleased about wasting my day, last Friday. And it looks like I'll have to waste at least another day if Infiniti ever gets around to authorizing the dealer to fix whatever they damage.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Dang it! Thanks for the update, p07r0457. Please let us know what corporate says, as I'll need to have the recall done too, and I'd hate to have my steering wheel damaged again.

On a side note... this may be worth starting another thread for, but you might be the one to know. Blind spot assist. It exists on the GLA version of our car. I know our side view mirrors don't have it, but... do you think it's already wired for it and it's just a matter of putting on the Mercedes OEM side view mirrors?

·
Super Moderator
404 Posts
On a side note... this may be worth starting another thread for, but you might be the one to know. Blind spot assist. It exists on the GLA version of our car. I know our side view mirrors don't have it, but... do you think it's already wired for it and it's just a matter of putting on the Mercedes OEM side view mirrors?
Probably should be a new thread if you really want to discuss it in detail...

But according to the service manual, the Blind Spot Warning Indicators are actually an interior trim piece -- not part of the outside mirror. My Acura MDX is the same way.

The indicators are fed by the Door Control Unit, which is located on the door, underneath the panel.

If you're feeling ambitious, you can pull off your door panel and see if you have the necessary wiring.

·
Registered
184 Posts
back to the recall and puncturing holes in the back / side of the steering wheel assy.... The dealer did this recall while I was there for the alternator replacement. I had no idea they would puncture holes in it so I am demanding the back side be replaced or the entire steering wheel be replaced... (the back can't be replaced)
The dealer put me in touch with Infiniti Customer Relations and I got a call back the very next morning. They are looking into it and will get back to me this friday. Nothing but a replacement will be acceptable....and I suggest they start putting access covers on it instead of needing to damage it each time it is removed. Retail price for the Sport steering wheel is $7500 :O

A very pricey oversight by Infiniti/Mercedes that shouldn't cost the owner a dime.

·
Registered
148 Posts
@__XIS__: Any chance you could post pictures of the holes? I haven't taken my car in for the service, but I want to be armed with information necessary to prevent the holes in the first place.

·
Registered
184 Posts
@Zee
Here you go! They are horrible to me and you see them from the passenger seat and if the window is rolled down you see them also outside the drivers door
I am more than anal about my car so this will get addressed. I will hear from them tomorrow!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts