Infiniti QX30 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife owns a 2017 QX30 Base AWD and is getting ready to replace tires, she's not too fond of the run flats and was looking at changing to regular tires (BFGoodrich G-FORCE COMP-2 A/S).

This change would require a space saver spare or spray goo for the inevitable emergency, but i am unsure where to start and Google is offering me little information so i figured i'd ask.

The one thing i know is that the a diameter the spare tire + rim should match the replacement tires almost exactly to avoid damage to the drive train.

·
Super Moderator
403 Posts
I will be sticking with the run-flats, personally. I have found the vehicle to ride/handle pretty well (for what it is) with them. The peace of mind that the run-flats provide is immense.

Even if I didn't like run-flats, there's no room for a space-saver spare, anyway, as the Bose subwoofer occupies that location. Does your QX30 not have a subwoofer?

If you did want to carry a space-saver spare, then I'd go with what that Mercedes GLA floks are running:

Mercedes Benz (2014-2019) GLA 250 Emergency Spare Tire : Bimmerzone.com

Alternatively, you can use something like the ContiMobilityKit, which is a compact 12V air compressor with integrated tire sealant. You can order these through many auto dealers or check eBay since lots of people sell the one that comes with their car (I hate these things, personally).

https://www.continental-tires.com/car/tires/continental-spare-parts/contimobilitykit

·
Registered
62 Posts
I agree with p07r0457, I don't think you would be able to fit any spare tire into the trunk unless you just leave it on the top side and secure it somehow. This would decrease the already poor storage space and wouldn't look to appealing. I use with my winter tires (Michelin non runflat) a mobility kit from kia/hyundai; got it for free =) This for sure gives me peace if mind.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry for the delayed reply, been rather busy. Our QX30 doesn't have a sub (Base AWD Model), and the space under the rear lid is shaped for a spare so it should fit. We currently use it to store a small toolkit, tie-down straps and the tow hitch.

A few space save spares have started showing up online since my last inquiry. Tell me about this mobility kit, is itjust the "green goo" that seals the tire temporarily?

·
Super Moderator
403 Posts
A few space save spares have started showing up online since my last inquiry. Tell me about this mobility kit, is itjust the "green goo" that seals the tire temporarily?
The "green goo" you refer to is "Slime", there is some overlap between what Slime and the ContiMobilityKit do, but they are not the same.

The manufacturer of Slime recommends that their product be installed pro-actively, while the tire is functioning properly. They claim that it can seal punctures that later occur.

The ContiMobilityKit include a can of Fix-a-Flat, which is not intended to be a preventive measure. This kit would only be used after a puncture occurs. The kit integrates the Fix-a-Flat sealant into a portable air compressor so you can seal the tire, post-puncture, and pump up the tire to a safe pressure.

I know that Slime is absolutely loathed by anyone who has had to change a tire after it's been used. Fix-a-flat is also hated, but at least it's only in the tire if you absolutely needed it. Slime screws everything up even if the tire never failed, and is simply being changed out due to wear.

·
Super Moderator
403 Posts
Which run-flat tires do you use?
I’m still on the factory run-flats. I believe they’re Continental ContiSportContact SSR.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts