Infiniti QX30 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Not sure how I got logged in as "User Name", so I think there is a bug with this website. I also couldn't delete the message
and flag it and repost under my own profile. But here is my message again.

I have already done two oil changes in my QX30 by the time that the computer displayed the "Service A" message. According to the owners manual, "Service A" refers to minor service, which I would think is related to an "oil change". There is nothing really nothing else that is required as the car has 12,000km, so question is, what is the sequence required to reset the message?​

Paul

·
Registered
84 Posts

·
Super Moderator
385 Posts
How many accounts do you have?? At least 3, it seems.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I just had Service A performed, at 20,000 miles. Aside from the oil change and tire rotation, there was also a cabin filter replaced and an inspection done. I think that was it. Not sure how to reset the message, though. You could always ask the dealer if the Mercedes reset doesn't work.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I just had Service A performed, at 20,000 miles. Aside from the oil change and tire rotation, there was also a cabin filter replaced and an inspection done. I think that was it. Not sure how to reset the message, though. You could always ask the dealer if the Mercedes reset doesn't work.
Was it done at the dealership? If so, how much was it total? I did my tire rotation at 4000 miles, and I am at 6000 miles right now due for Service A in 2 days. I probably will need a state inspection in a month or two also. If Service A is just an oil change, I believe I will just do it at home, but if you've only paid $100 or less at the dealership for all tasks you mentioned above, then that's a striking deal, and I might just hand my key over to the dealership to perform all while I go to Lowes using their QX60 loaner.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I had a rough go when I purchased my QX30, so they gave me tge 36k mi/3 year maintenance package, for free. Everything on my invoice says $0, so I don't know how much it was. I'd guess that $100 would not cover an oil change, tire rotation, and cabin air filter (assuming the inspection would be free). If I could do those things myself, I most likely would. I'll find out later this year how much all this costs, once I hit 36k (this Fall).

Odd you need Service A already...perhaps it's a time thing? I've had my car for almost exactly 1 year, but it seemed to be based on mileage (the dash kept telling me 500 miles till Service A, etc). Or maybe I'm missing something...

Also, you get a QX60 loaner??? That's fun. I always get a QX30.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Odd you need Service A already...perhaps it's a time thing? I've had my car for almost exactly 1 year, but it seemed to be based on mileage (the dash kept telling me 500 miles till Service A, etc). Or maybe I'm missing something...

I believe it is based on time thing for the Service A, I got my QX30 back in February 2017 and my display is now showing service due soon in so many days and I have only 2200 miles on the car since new.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I had a rough go when I purchased my QX30, so they gave me tge 36k mi/3 year maintenance package, for free. Everything on my invoice says $0, so I don't know how much it was. I'd guess that $100 would not cover an oil change, tire rotation, and cabin air filter (assuming the inspection would be free). If I could do those things myself, I most likely would. I'll find out later this year how much all this costs, once I hit 36k (this Fall).

Also, you get a QX60 loaner??? That's fun. I always get a QX30.
Yes, I think it is a time thing. I got mine today in 2017, and I only have 6015 miles.

I always get a QX60, and that SUV is HUGE! I need to pick up a 5 ft mirror from Anthropologies and it will be a perfect vehicle for it. :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
It must go by either/or with the mileage/time. I bought my car a year ago and it was saying "Service A due in 25 days" or something like a countdown. It was weird that a couple of days ago it was down to 6 days, but today it just says "Service A due." I have an appointment for tomorrow. I only have 5k miles on it.

My dealer does the first service for free, even though I paid for the service package for 3/36k miles. Oh, well. The guy said it would be free and not count toward the service package.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will try the service reset when my wife gets home. Will record it also, if it works. I don't go to the dealer for service visits, nor do I wait for what the computer tells me. One year is way to long for oil change.

Cheers,
Paul

·
Super Moderator
385 Posts
One year is way to long for oil change.
False. It's not 1970, anymore.

If you're using MB229.5 oil, then 10,000 miles / 1 year is a perfectly acceptable oil change interval for normal drivers.

Reactions: 8410

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yeah I was just going to say that most cars that utilize full synthetic have recently seen bumps to the change intervals. The days of changing your oil every 5k are behind us, unless you're planning some track days in the QX30.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had my first service done and the recall done. The dealer did not reset the service light, so no it is saying the Service A is overdue. I made a comment in my survey about it and the guy called me up within 24 hours of completing the survey. He did not know how to reset the service reminder. I found a qx30 reset on youtube and tried it, but can't get it to work. I might see about the mercedes one.

·
Super Moderator
385 Posts
I had my first service done and the recall done. The dealer did not reset the service light, so no it is saying the Service A is overdue. I made a comment in my survey about it and the guy called me up within 24 hours of completing the survey. He did not know how to reset the service reminder. I found a qx30 reset on youtube and tried it, but can't get it to work. I might see about the mercedes one.
This is what the Infiniti Service Manual shows:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
False. It's not 1970, anymore.

If you're using MB229.5 oil, then 10,000 miles / 1 year is a perfectly acceptable oil change interval for normal drivers.
You would disagree with your statement if you were to see engines that have done 16,000km service intervals (10,000) mile at the end of a warranty period. Obviously, this all depends on driving habits (short/long trips, etc), but on average, if you want to keep the car for a long time, it is recommended to replace oil in more frequent intervals. Besides, it is the cheapest insurance policy to maintaining your vehicle in great running condition. My mechanic has shown me countless engines that have had to be rebuilt or replaced simply because of less frequent oil change intervals.

·
Super Moderator
385 Posts
You would disagree with your statement if you were to see engines that have done 16,000km service intervals (10,000) mile at the end of a warranty period. Obviously, this all depends on driving habits (short/long trips, etc), but on average, if you want to keep the car for a long time, it is recommended to replace oil in more frequent intervals. Besides, it is the cheapest insurance policy to maintaining your vehicle in great running condition. My mechanic has shown me countless engines that have had to be rebuilt or replaced simply because of less frequent oil change intervals.
My brother in law is a mechanic. I've rebuilt engines and restored a couple vehicles, myself, as well. Big deal. I am also one of those anal people who samples their oil and sends it out for analysis. In my daily driver (Acura MDX) I change when the OLM indicates to change, as I don't want any warranty concerns. Last time that was at around 7,900 miles (IIRC). The analysis came back impeccable and the TBN was still great. The lab even encouraged longer drain intervals -- although I will continue to follow the OLM on this vehicle until the warranty is up.

A 10k OCI is perfectly reasonable for most* vehicles when using a quality filter and full synthetic oil designed for extended drain intervals.

*Most vehicles means most vehicles. There are some vehicles that should NOT use extended drain intervals. These include air/oil cooled engines (VW, some motorcycles) or engines that are known to have a predisposition to sludge. The VW/Audi 1.8T comes to mind, as does some years of engines in the Toyota Camry.

The manual for the QX30 specifies you MUST use oil that meets the MB229.5 specification. Mobil-1 FS 0W40 is an example oil that is certified to meet the specification. That oil, coupled with a quality oil filter -- such as the Mann HU7116Z -- will last a 10k mile OCI without any problems.

If you use a crappy filter, or oil not designed for extended drain intervals, then you may have problems...

The "cheap insurance" argument is silly. I could talk about how it would be "cheaper" to use quality oil and follow the manufacturers maintenance schedule. I could also point out that wear increases after a fresh oil change, then levels out for the usable life of the oil, until eventually wear increases, again; changing your oil too often will keep you in the initial wear-in period more of the time. But instead of having those arguments, I'll just do this:

I bet you cannot show an example of an engine failure that meets these criteria:
  • Always used a quality, name-brand engine oil. From sealed containers. Purchased from a reputable retailer. Not excessively old stock.
  • Always used a viscosity appropriate for the application.
  • Always used a quality filter, rated for the OCI.
  • Always met all vehicle manufacturer requirements for parts/service.
  • Oil and filter were changed per manufacturers specification.
  • Experienced a failure that is directly attributable to oil age (sludge, additive depletion, something similar)
  • Engine is not among those known to have a predisposition to sludge*

Reactions: pavy and 8410

·
Registered
84 Posts
My brother in law is a mechanic. I've rebuilt engines and restored a couple vehicles, myself, as well. Big deal. I am also one of those anal people who samples their oil and sends it out for analysis. In my daily driver (Acura MDX) I change when the OLM indicates to change, as I don't want any warranty concerns. Last time that was at around 7,900 miles (IIRC). The analysis came back impeccable and the TBN was still great. The lab even encouraged longer drain intervals -- although I will continue to follow the OLM on this vehicle until the warranty is up.

A 10k OCI is perfectly reasonable for most* vehicles when using a quality filter and full synthetic oil designed for extended drain intervals.

*Most vehicles means most vehicles. There are some vehicles that should NOT use extended drain intervals. These include air/oil cooled engines (VW, some motorcycles) or engines that are known to have a predisposition to sludge. The VW/Audi 1.8T comes to mind, as does some years of engines in the Toyota Camry.

The manual for the QX30 specifies you MUST use oil that meets the MB229.5 specification. Mobil-1 FS 0W40 is an example oil that is certified to meet the specification. That oil, coupled with a quality oil filter -- such as the Mann HU7116Z -- will last a 10k mile OCI without any problems.

If you use a crappy filter, or oil not designed for extended drain intervals, then you may have problems...

The "cheap insurance" argument is silly. I could talk about how it would be "cheaper" to use quality oil and follow the manufacturers maintenance schedule. I could also point out that wear increases after a fresh oil change, then levels out for the usable life of the oil, until eventually wear increases, again; changing your oil too often will keep you in the initial wear-in period more of the time. But instead of having those arguments, I'll just do this:

I bet you cannot show an example of an engine failure that meets these criteria:
  • Always used a quality, name-brand engine oil. From sealed containers. Purchased from a reputable retailer. Not excessively old stock.
  • Always used a viscosity appropriate for the application.
  • Always used a quality filter, rated for the OCI.
  • Always met all vehicle manufacturer requirements for parts/service.
  • Oil and filter were changed per manufacturers specification.
  • Experienced a failure that is directly attributable to oil age (sludge, additive depletion, something similar)
  • Engine is not among those known to have a predisposition to sludge*
I thought I was the only one who samples the oils. I totally hands down - agree with your 10k oil change interval. I sometimes do it 15k, and oil results do come out fine.

When I had an Audi RS5 (leased), I ignored their recommended maintenance schedule, and followed BMW's recommended schedule. I had no problem with warranty claims as long as I reset the service warning on-time (w/o changing oils)

Reactions: 8410

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This worked. I had realized that the "Trip" menu had to be highlighted for part 3 to work. For those that are trying to figure it out, you highlight "Trip", but don't hit OK, keep it selected and then do part 3. You will then get to the menu which gives you diagnostic data. And on another note, I don't see this anywhere in the service manual.

Paul

This is what the Infiniti Service Manual shows:

·
Super Moderator
385 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts