Infiniti QX30 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just want people to know Salerno Duane Infiniti of Denville is tracking their loaner cars and drivers without informing customers.

It is sad at how this dealership believes it can treat its customers.

On April 2nd 2022 I took my car for service at Salerno Duane Infiniti of Denville in Denville, NJ. This was the first time I took my car to be serviced there. I received a loaner car while my car was to be serviced for the next few days.
After leaving with the loaner car I discovered the loaner car had installed a GPS tracking device. I have video of this. I returned to the dealer to confront the service advisor about this because it was NEVER disclosed that the car had a GPS tracking device that my whereabouts were to be monitored. The service advisor admitted there was a GPS tracking device, that it was never disclosed, that the device is used to track miles, and fuel status.

I then asked to speak to a manager. The weekend manager then spoke to me and I explained I discovered a GPS tracking device and that I was never informed I would be tracked. His response simply was to say I could leave and take my business elsewhere or accept that the loaner car has a tracking device. He would not contact the owner to discuss this.

I have filed an Attorney General's Office complaint against Salerno Duane Infiniti of Denville for violating my privacy rights by not disclosing that I would be tracked in their loaner car. I have asked the Attorney General’s office to investigate possible legal violations and if there were violations to fine the dealership and stop this practice.

·
Super Moderator
638 Posts
I am not an attorney, so I cannot speak towards the legality of the practice or what duty a business may have to notify customers of the practice. However, I think it would be safe to assume that all rental/loaner vehicles have some level of tracking/geo-location/reporting enabled, and would recommend drivers behave accordingly.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just want people to know Salerno Duane Infiniti of Denville is tracking their loaner cars and drivers without informing customers.

On April 2nd 2022 I took my car for service at Salerno Duane Infiniti of Denville in Denville, NJ. This was the first time I took my car to be serviced there. I received a loaner car while my car was to be serviced for the next few days.
After leaving with the loaner car I discovered the loaner car had installed a GPS tracking device. I have video of this. I returned to the dealer to confront the service advisor about this because it was NEVER disclosed that the car had a GPS tracking device that my whereabouts were to be monitored. The service advisor admitted there was a GPS tracking device, that it was never disclosed, that the device is used to track miles, and fuel status.

I then asked to speak to a manager. The weekend manager then spoke to me and I explained I discovered a GPS tracking device and that I was never informed I would be tracked. His response simply was to say I could leave and take my business elsewhere or accept that the loaner car has a tracking device. He would not contact the owner to discuss this.

I have filed an Attorney General's Office complaint against Salerno Duane Infiniti of Denville for violating my privacy rights by not disclosing that I would be tracked in their loaner car. I have asked the Attorney General’s office to investigate possible legal violations and if there were violations to fine the dealership and stop this practice.
Well..... Its a Loner Car, Not a Car you can abuse,not pay parking tickets or Tolls, Drain out all the Fuel and dump back at the dealer,leaving them holding the bag for your potential bad actions. It's meant to get you to work for the day, or out to lunch or a few short errands so as not to inconvenience you wile your car is being repaired. Keep in mind its fee is baked in to everyones cost of service, I'm way out of warranty on my QX30 but still use the dealership for service, It may cost a little more but who knows my car better? I can't blame the Owner for wanting to know where his property is and how its being treated.IMHO

·
Registered
22 Posts

It is sad how important you think you are. The dealership presumably owns the loaner; you're just borrowing it. If I lent my car to someone I didn't know, you bet your ass I'm putting a tracker on it. Also, literally no one cares where you go dude, get over yourself. The device you typed your message on has invaded your privacy in far worse ways.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts