Infiniti QX30 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm looking at purchasing a QX30 AWD. I'm wondering if anybody has purchased cross bars for the roof rack. I'm in Canada and the dealer tells me that they do not have them and not sure when they will arrive. He suggested that I go to a Thule dealer. I have spoken to the Thule dealer and the fit software shows a fit kit 3117 – but when I look at the instructions online this does not look correct as it is for a fix mount. I currently own a Mercedes and was at the dealer looking at the GLA and the roof rails on GLA look the exact same. Are they interchangeable, I wonder if I could use the MB Cross Bars PN# A1568900093.

When I check Thule online software if shows a Fit Kit # 4049 for the GLA, looking at these instructions that make sense as it clamps around the rails. This is unfortunately is a much more expensive option @ $550+/- vs. the Cross Bars from MB’s accessories website @ $305.00 - Ebay $260+/- .

Thanks so much and have a great day.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My response from Infiniti.

Dear Rob,

Thank you for contacting us and for your interest in the 2017 Infiniti QX30.

We are unable to find any information on crossbar availability for the QX30. We understand that you have already spoken with a local Infiniti retailer, however a parts manager there will be the best resource to speak with about the availability of QX30 crossbars or any options that may be available. They have the resources and the training to properly assess the vehicle and the parts.

You can find the business hours and contact information for your local Infiniti retailer by accessing the Locate A Retailer page on the Infiniti USA website, entering your zip code, and clicking “Search”. For your convenience, we have information for the Infiniti retailer nearest to the zip code you provided.

Baker Infiniti Charleston
1513 Savannah Hwy
Charleston, SC 29407
(843) 852-4001

Service Hours:

Mon – Fri: 7:30 AM – 6:00 PM
Sat: 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM
Sun: Closed

If you have any additional questions or would like assistance in your shopping journey, please feel free to contact us at (800) 713-3181. Our business hours are Monday through Friday 9:00 AM to 8:00 PM and Saturday 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM Eastern. You may also click here to chat with a Customer Loyalty Manager 7 days a week from 9:00 AM to Midnight Eastern.

At Infiniti, we strive to provide the highest level of customer service. Please take a moment to provide your feedback through our quick survey: Click Here

Once again, we thank you for contacting us and for your interest in the 2017 Infiniti QX30.

Sincerely,

Mackenzie

If you do not wish to receive marketing e-mails from Infiniti in the future, click here and unsubscribe by submitting the e-mail address you want to have removed from our list.

To view Infiniti’s privacy policy, please click here

Infiniti Marketing
Mail Stop P3C
P.O. Box 685003
Franklin TN 37068-5003

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'd be stunned if the ones from a GLA don't fit. I'd measure the gap between the rails, but those rails are MB standard issue. Any Thule fit kit for a GLA should work.

I'm also not surprised there's no official Thule solution yet. It took 6-8 months before they posted a Q50 solution - I measured the G37 and it was the same - turns out I was right. Q50 fit kit and G37 are the same - just slightly wider on the Q. I'm guessing it will be the same deal on the QX30 and GLA - the gap between the rails may be slightly different - but the feet to attach should work.

Please come back and post your answer once you've tried it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really believe that the GLA Factory Rack and Infiniti Factory rack are one and the same other then the removable locking cover has each manufactures Logo on it. If anybody has purchased the Infiniti factory rack, would they be kind enough to review the attached pictures to see if the locking/clamping method is the same.

Thanks so much

Rob

Attachments

·
Registered
209 Posts
You can also try calling up the parts department of Infiniti/Mercedes dealers and see what they say, odds are some of those guys might give you information on where the racks are coming in from. Usually that's one prime way to get some insight.

·
Registered
74 Posts
That looks exactly like the one that came with my girlfriend's NX200t. I disliked it so much I took it off the car right away. Thule must be a more elegant solution.

Seriously, when I saw the Lexus one, I walked to the Lexus dealer next door and asked if they were joking. Her deal for the car included the rack "free". I guess she got what she paid for it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We put on the stock MB - GLA/GLC/C Class racks last night and they are a perfect fit on the QX30. Slick mounting system no tools required.

OEM GENUINE MERCEDES BENZ BASIC CARRIER CROSS BARS GLA CLASS X156 1568900093 | eBay

@ $255.00 if you wait for the ebuck deals you can get 10% back. Effectively we paid $229.50 delivered - no taxes. - I have Thule on my M-B and the aluminum extrusion profile sure looks the same.

·
Registered
148 Posts
We put on the stock MB - GLA/GLC/C Class racks last night and they are a perfect fit on the QX30. Slick mounting system no tools required.

OEM GENUINE MERCEDES BENZ BASIC CARRIER CROSS BARS GLA CLASS X156 1568900093 | eBay

@ $255.00 if you wait for the ebuck deals you can get 10% back. Effectively we paid $229.50 delivered - no taxes. - I have Thule on my M-B and the aluminum extrusion profile sure looks the same.
You're going to have to provide pics! :nerd:

·
Registered
107 Posts
So the MB Ones Work?

Glad to hear. You installed yourself? Do they have to be a certain width apart from each other? I'm sick of waiting to get this in from Infiniti and I need them for traveling by end of April. How about a hitch mount? Could you use one that would fit on the GLA?

·
Registered
32 Posts

I read on the GLA250 forums about QX30 comparisons and there was a thread about the racks and they stated that the MB will fit the QX30. Might be worth searching on their forums.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Glad to hear. You installed yourself? Do they have to be a certain width apart from each other? I'm sick of waiting to get this in from Infiniti and I need them for traveling by end of April. How about a hitch mount? Could you use one that would fit on the GLA?

Bought the Racks on Ebay for $255.00 - slick install no tools. comes with a tape measure and on the racks under the cover shows the position in distance from front window to the front rack and distance between racks.

Not sure if we are going to put on a hitch as we have 2 much larger SUV's that we can tow with.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Sweet! I'm going out to Merc dealership this weekend to pick them up and have asked them to price match the eBay ones you cited. Would you know... can you put a roof box AND bike rack on the crossbars? Enough room? Because if so, that would make getting a hitch mount for my bike rack less pressing.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Installed

Put the crossbars on yesterday. Fit perfect. And about 300 dollars cheaper than aftermarket Thule or Yakima. And these Mercedes crossbars are aero with practically no wind noise.

I've reached out to an aftermarket hitch company to put an aftermarket hitch on. The GLA does not have a Mercedes hitch receiver available which makes me think Infiniti will never have an OEM hitch receiver for this car either. In fact, the Mercedes dealership said they had never installed a hitch receiver on a GLA250 ever... ever.

Oh, and though it's more expensive, the Mercedes cargo box 400 is skinny enough to put a bike rack on the crossbars too. All the other aftermarket cargo boxes are not thin enough. So... if I can't get a hitch mount (for my bike rack), then I'll have to go the Mercedes cargo box and bike rack (the bike rack is actually a reasonable price comparatively) and forgo the hitch entirely.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I will definitely post more pics of the crossbars.

I'm actually at a hitch installation place right now adding the hitch onto the car. I couldn't wait for Infiniti to release a hitch mount. I absolutely must have it this week for traveling, and I see no progress being made on the Infiniti front.

But, it should come as no surprise... which after market hitch mount fits the car perfectly? The one made for the Mercedes GLA hitch mount.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Also, I bought this roof box:

https://www.amazon.com/Yakima-RocketBox-Pro-Rooftop-Cargo/dp/B005G2393M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1491238321&sr=8-2&keywords=yakima+roof+box

After today's hitch, I'm done buying accessories for this thing! Time to enjoy the ride! I will be doing a lot of traveling with bike, camping gear, kids, dogs, etc. I'm in Atlanta and driving all of the above to Canada this summer. Camping in mountains as well, driving on forest service roads (why I got AWD), and doing triathlons throughout the SE starting this month, so had to have these things or my gear wouldn't fit.

So far, love the car, not happy with Infiniti delays on accessories for this car.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Surgery Is Over

As promised, additional photo of crossbars.

Also, photo of new hitch.

The Mercedes hitch is a class III, which is definitely an overkill, but it fit perfect. Though, I will say, DO NOT DO THIS YOURSELF. I've installed a hitch before, but this one took the entire crew of this shop I went to 4 hours (usually you're done in an hour)!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey Smittylit, hope that QX30 is still kickin' for you. Just to confirm, did you go with the Merc OEM bars as mentioned in this thread? And at the price above? Thanks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts