Infiniti QX30 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a flat a few days ago, having the runflat on was nice - no towing, no changing a tire. Just drove it to the garage. A few questions:

1. What tire did you replace the OEM with? I have Continental ContiProContact SSR tires now, I ended up replacing my flat with a Continental ProContact TX, since you can't find the OEM tires in the right size, now. Here's what I went with: ProContact TX - 235/50R18 97H Tire | Continental Any thoughts on this tire? What tires have you bought?
  2. I'm pretty sure there is a 2/10" difference between my new tire and my 3 "old" tires. I was told by a couple places that this wasn't a big deal, so I decided to replace only the single tire. What are your thoughts on this?
As a side note, while looking at the Continental website for the ProContact TX, I realized that they include hazard warranty when you buy the tire, if you register. Not sure what the details are, I'll be contacting them to find out.

·
Super Moderator
403 Posts
If you have AWD then all of the tires need to match tread pattern (so using a different model tire is NOT acceptable) and they must have as close to the same tread wear, as possible. 2/10" is WAAAY too much. I think the upper-limit is 2/32".

If you have FWD, then you can get away with keeping the tires matched, per-axle. So you still should not replace only ONE tire with a different model or substantially different tread wear. You need to do them in pairs, at a minimum.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Didn't know tread wear is important too, but seems such a waste to buy another tire just to have tow with new tread. What happens if you just replace one?

·
Super Moderator
403 Posts
Didn't know tread wear is important too, but seems such a waste to buy another tire just to have tow with new tread. What happens if you just replace one?
You can damage the AWD system.

·
Registered
84 Posts
It depends on FWD, RWD, partial AWD, full-time AWD.. but you must at least replace left/right at the same time if you don't want to change all 4 tires on partial (front based) AWD - otherwise you will jeopardize the AWD computer who works **** hard not to loose the traction.

Also, tire pressure matters, but I am not opening a can of worms today.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll be in the dealer next week or so. I wonder what they'll have to say. I'll report back.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FYI, Continental said the OEM tires don't come with the hazard warranty, but new tires do. It's a 1 year replacement plan for hazard; 3 years for towing/spare tire changing (up to $200 per incident, 3 incident max).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts