Infiniti QX30 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HI all! Just joined and hoping for some good info about this Mercedes/Infiniti mashup.
We need some details about how to change the oil. I do know the filter needs a 27mm wrench w/extension (about a foot long??). Where is the drain plug? Any other important details? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
431 Posts
Oil change takes 5-7/8 quarts -- so buy 6 quarts.

The engine oil spec on this vehicle is peculiar, so I recommend you pay extra attention to what oil you use. The manual lists 0W30 as the recommended viscosity, however it also states that engine oil must meet MB229.5 specification. As far as I can tell, there is no 0W30 oil that meets MB229.5 available through normal retail channels in the United States.

The Infiniti manual does specify that 0W40 is acceptable... And that viscosity is easy to obtain with MB 229.5 certification. Coincidentally, Mercedes -- the company that actually designed and manufactured the engine -- recommends 0W40 for their applications.

For those reasons, I suggest Mobil 1 FS 0W40. Walmart carries it, as do most auto parts chains.

You do need a 27mm socket and extension to remove the filter cap.

The oil filter is a cartridge-type. I recommend MANN filters, part number HU7116Z.

You should always use a new crush washer, part number 11026HG00H.

Torque the drain plug to 30 ft-lbs.

Drain plug is basically exactly where you would expect it to be... rear of oil pan:

·
Super Moderator
431 Posts
I double-checked the list of MB 229.5 certified oils https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/229.5_en.html

It appears there may be one MB229.5 certified oil in 0W30 available in US retail:

• Castrol EDGE 0W-30 A3/B4

BE CAREFUL, however. According to the Castrol website, they sell THREE different products under the "EDGE 0W-30" brand/model. Both the regular "Castrol EDGE 0W30" and the "Castrol EDGE 0W30 A5/B5" DO NOT meet MB229.5. ONLY the "Castrol EDGE 0W30 A3/B4" meets the standard. So if you choose to use the Castrol, you need to be extra-careful which bottles you're buying.

I haven't been able to find any of the other MB229.5 certified 0W30 oils available for retail sale.

There are several MB229.5 certified 0W40 oils available at retail, however:

• Mercedes AMG High Performance Engine Oil 0W40
  • Castrol Edge 0W40 A3/B4
  • Mobil 1 FS 0W40
  • Pennzoil Platinum Euro 0W40
  • Pennzoil Ultra Euro 0W40
  • Valvoline Advanced 0W40
  • Valvoline SynPower 0W40

Hopefully that helps you out.

For simplicity, I'm using Mobil 1 FS 0W40. It's affordable, easily obtainable at a myriad of retail locations, and there are no misleading SKUs to risk confusing.

Reactions: Zee

·
Super Moderator
431 Posts
Mobil 1 FS 0w30 is also MB229.5 Spec and available at Walmart, just in case anyone is searching.
Where are you located? Have you actually seen these bottles for sale in your local Walmart?

I went to Walmart, today, and they do not stock it, in my area. There is no shelf space for it. I also checked www.walmart.com and it is not listed as a product on their site.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Where are you located? Have you actually seen these bottles for sale in your local Walmart?

I went to Walmart, today, and they do not stock it, in my area. There is no shelf space for it. I also checked www.walmart.com and it is not listed as a product on their site.
I bought mine from Walmart (Philadelphia suburb area). Ordered online, and picked up in person. MANN filter as well.

·
Super Moderator
431 Posts
I bought mine from Walmart (Philadelphia suburb area). Ordered online, and picked up in person. MANN filter as well.
Can you link to the product page, please?

I checked Walmart.com and couldn't find it.

·
Registered
84 Posts

·
Super Moderator
431 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
That oil is NOT MB 229.5 certified. Even Mobil doesn't recommend it for the QX30.

I would NOT run that in my QX30.
haha good to know. This is a good example why I don't buy used cars. :)

I will make sure to put a MB 229.5 certified oil in 2019. (I change oil once a year)

·
Super Moderator
431 Posts
haha good to know. This is a good example why I don't buy used cars. :)

I will make sure to put a MB 229.5 certified oil in 2019. (I change oil once a year)
It's your car... so do what you please... But I would suggest changing the oil and filter immediately for something that is at least claimed to meet MB 229.5, if not outright certified for such applications. The Mobil 1 AFE is "good" oil for most vehicles, but it is NOT up to the task of an extended interval (one year) in a high-compression, turbocharged, direct-injection engine.

·
Registered
84 Posts
It's your car... so do what you please... But I would suggest changing the oil and filter immediately for something that is at least claimed to meet MB 229.5, if not outright certified for such applications. The Mobil 1 AFE is "good" oil for most vehicles, but it is NOT up to the task of an extended interval (one year) in a high-compression, turbocharged, direct-injection engine.
I understand your point. I really do, but I think the oil I used was OK since our cars only have like 2xx horsepowers.. (#flamesuiton!)

·
Super Moderator
431 Posts
I understand your point. I really do, but I think the oil I used was OK since our cars only have like 2xx horsepowers.. (#flamesuiton!)
It's not an issue of horsepower. But enjoy your car... This is why I don't buy "used".

·
Registered
84 Posts
It's not an issue of horsepower. But enjoy your car... This is why I don't buy "used".
If my F82 M4 and 'past' 981 Cayman S are getting the same oil for a yearly change, then I just don't see a point of using 'special - hard to find' oil for a car that only has like 2xx horsepower plus it's a lease. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
That oil is NOT MB 229.5 certified. Even Mobil doesn't recommend it for the QX30.

I would NOT run that in my QX30.
Mobil does in fact state that the oil they linked should be used in the 2017 model. Run their check tool and use 2017, not 2018. I ran into this exact same issue, previously. Also, my previous post was completely incorrect, so I apologize. I just realized my folly after the edit time expired and was being lazy. Walmart does NOT have Mobil 0w30 that is MB 229.5 cert. I totally misread the oil type, and it was the oil he linked, which is definitely not MB 229.5 cert.

For anyone else driving a 2017, even though it does not state that MB 229.x is required in the manual, unlike the 2018 manual, when you change the oil and reset the service indicator, the selection of oil used for the service only lists MB 229.3, MB 229.5, and MB 229.51 as options. I would definitely only use one of those, and would likely just follow the 2018 manual. Most likely it was just missed in the 2017 models.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all,

New member and found this topic. After reading the discussion, I have been unable to find anything in my manual that states oil will need to meet MB 229.5 specifications. I have a 2017 QX30 so is that info from the 2018 owner's manual?

·
Super Moderator
431 Posts
Hi all,

New member and found this topic. After reading the discussion, I have been unable to find anything in my manual that states oil will need to meet MB 229.5 specifications. I have a 2017 QX30 so is that info from the 2018 owner's manual?
I do not see mention of MB 229.5 in the 2017 owners manual.

I think it is telling that Infiniti did add the requirement in the 2018 manual:

It is also present in the official Factory Service Manual:

There are no known differences between the 2017 and 2018 engine, and the 2017 Mercedes GLA -- which also uses the same engine -- has the requirement listed:

You'll have to decide what that means, for you. For me, it's obvious that Infiniti goofed, and that the spec is required.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts