Infiniti QX30 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm a new Q30 owner suffering from multiple dashboard warnings. I was hoping someone may have had a similar experience. I have the forward emergency braking inoperative and auto headlights inoperative warning as soon as I start the car. I also see the lane assist and traffic sign recognition inoperative errors intermittently whilst driving. Finally today I have had the ESP inoperative and 4wd inoperative warnings. I can't imagine there are too many more errors I could experience. It's a 2016 car with 10,000 miles and mechanically it drives perfectly even with all these errors occurring.
If anyone has any advice or experience I would really appreciate it, Infiniti service centres in the UK appear to now be closed, I certainly haven't had any luck getting hold of anyone.

·
Super Moderator
404 Posts
That could be one of many causes.

Step one would be to test both batteries. There is the primary battery on the drivers side, under the hood. The secondary battery is under the dash in the front passengers foot well. A bad battery can cause all sorts of warning lights and cause modules to throw a myriad of codes.

Step two is inspect the vehicle. I've heard a lot of reports of rodents/animals chewing wiring harnesses, lately! Due to SARS-CoV-2, many people are driving less and their cars are sitting more. This gives time for animals to make nests and/or forage. The chemicals used to produce some wire insulation is "tasty" to rodents. Do a good cursory check of your wiring to see if you notice any obvious frays/interruptions or signs of animals.

Step three would be to find someone with a competent scan tool to pull codes. This does not mean one of those el-cheapo dongles people get on AliExpress/eBay/Amazon. Nor does it mean the small handheld "code reader" units from your local auto parts store. You should find a real scan tool such as a Bosch ADS, SnapOn Verus/Modis, even an Autel MaxiSys, or similar. Based on the codes returned, there may be a common theme that directs your troubleshooting efforts.

In the USA, automotive dealers are considered "essential businesses" and are open for business. Is that not the case in the UK? Do you have independent garages open?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great, thanks for this. I hadn't even considered the battery, coming from much older cars I'm used to a bad battery being immediately obvious. Seeing all these errors made me start thinking of sensor/harness/ECU horror stories. Looking at the cars history there was a long period where it didn't do a lot of mileage so this could easily be the problem. I'll check the batteries this evening. Assuming it is the battery do you know if there is any form of reset procedure needed after fitting, I assume the main battery is one of these AGM batteries?

I have an OBDLink MX so I'll check the codes too but I suspect you're correct with the battery suggestion.

Independent garages are open but I prefer to do the work myself if possible.

Thanks again for your help.

·
Super Moderator
404 Posts
ssuming it is the battery do you know if there is any form of reset procedure needed after fitting, I assume the main battery is one of these AGM batteries?
I believe both the primary and secondary batteries are AGM type.

Infiniti has a list of settings that it recommends saving and then re-applying after the battery is reconnected. You'd need a CONSULT III+ to do that -- which most people don't have access to. So most people would just reconnect the battery and drive the car and let it re-learn it's various parameters. Fuel economy may dip during this process.

I have an OBDLink MX so I'll check the codes too but I suspect you're correct with the battery suggestion.
Hopefully that helps you... But please be aware that is only a generic OBD code reader and will not show you most of the codes that your car can throw.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. I shall investigate and assuming it is the battery (or batteries) I'll change them and update here if that's the solution. Just in case anyone else is experiencing the same issues.

·
Registered
2018 Infiniti QX30 Premium (Mother's Car)
62 Posts
It might be the harness that connects to the ECU. If you're able to, check all the pins for power.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have replaced both batteries and initially got pretty much every warning possible.

It has now settled after a drive but I'm still left with the Forward Emergency Brake inoperative and Auto lights Inoperative. Lane assist and traffic sign recognition also intermittently become inoperative but the more I drive the less these two errors occur.

Further investigation is needed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After replacing both batteries I now only get the auto lights inoperative and emergency braking inoperative messages, the car drives faultlessly.

I assume both sensors are faulty but will investigate further soon.

·
Registered
2018 Infiniti QX30 Premium (Mother's Car)
62 Posts
After replacing both batteries I now only get the auto lights inoperative and emergency braking inoperative messages, the car drives faultlessly.

I assume both sensors are faulty but will investigate further soon.
Is there a sensor that is on or around the windshield? Maybe it's behind the rear-view mirror? Funny enough one of my family members has a BMW X2 and has the exact same issue with the emergency braking. Apparently when they had their cracked windshield replaced, they BMW technician didn't calibrate the sensor(s) correctly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts