Infiniti QX30 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve installed oil catch cans in all of my cars. I’m no engineer, so some of this tech terms might be wrong but what a catch can does is filter out and capture vaporized oil coming from the crank case to the intake manifold. Without a catch can, this vaporized oil will eventually coat your intake manifold and valves.

I have an extra catch can laying around my garage and I’m thinking of installing it in my mom’s QX30. I just need to figure out where to mount the can, where the PCV valve is, and what size hoses I’ll need to use.

Has anyone installed a can in their car? Any tips would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
385 Posts
Depending on your jurisdiction, messing with the EVAP system may actually be illegal. Even if it's not illegal in your area, I wouldn't do it, personally.

Oil catch cans is one of those useless modifications that people love to push in car culture, for some reason. Car manufacturers spend millions -- perhaps billions -- on R&D, and yet you'll still find shade-tree mechanics that think they know better with a can of Foldgers duct-taped under their hood. The only thing that a catch can tells me, in a street car, is to not trust that owner about car-related matters.

I've re-built my share of engines. The ones that were slugged up were either bad designs (looking at you, VW 1.8 and Toyota 1MZ-FE) or their owner didn't maintain them properly. Use the proper oil and change it at a reasonable interval and your engine will last several hundred of thousands of miles.

·
Registered
2018 Infiniti QX30 Premium (Mother's Car)
35 Posts
I too never really understood the use of catch cans, unless you're racing a car or drifting a car at a track. Like p07r0457 said earlier, keep using the correct oil and make sure to change your oil at the correct mileage intervals (or time intervals if the car isn't driven much).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don’t doubt your knowledge and deeply respect your opinions. And like I said, I’m no engineer. I’ve used cans in both my SRT’s, a 6.1 and now a 6.4 since day one, and I would regularly empty it out every 2000 miles. At 2k, the can would catch about 4 tablespoons of oil. All the SRT guys report similar results. I don’t know if it’s due to high compression, but these engines were new with regular oil changes (full synthetic).

Now think about that oil getting into your intake manifold, especially in newer direct injection motors. With the DI motors, there is no fuel flowing through the runners to clean up any oil residue. So all that oil is building up on your intake walls and valves, and some of it getting sucked into the combustion chamber.

I don’t know what damage if any the oil would do, but the catch can gives me a little piece of mind in my cars. Since the QX is my mom’s and she‘s not too heavy on the throttle, I guess I’ll leave it alone. I just have the spare can sitting in my garage and too much time on my hands!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yah those are a lot higher performance engines compared to the QX30 lol. I wouldn't worry too much. The engine is a Mercedes-Benz engine that is known to be good for the most part, as far as I know. My uncle works for Mercedes-Benz and he really loves the QX30.

·
Super Moderator
385 Posts
Even in the Mopars, I wouldn't run a catch can. 4 tablespoons is nothing. The engines are designed for it.

·
Registered
35 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Oil catch cans is one of those useless modifications that people love to push in car culture, for some reason.
Perhaps the M270 doesn't require one, but that certainly doesn't mean all motors don't.

A previous ride was an Abarth 124 Spider. The 1.4 MultiAir can be horrendous for oil blow-by and over time this ends up coating the intake, turbo, and intercooler...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info MotoPete. I havent installed the can yet since this is my mother’s car and she doesn’t drive too hard. I figured that installing one wouldn’t hurt.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts