Infiniti QX30 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

Purchased my QX30S about 6 weeks ago, but haven't really driven it up until 2 weeks ago. Car has gone through a paint correction (swirl marks were terrible when I bought the car), ceramic coating, Nano tint, and Hikari LED bulbs have been installed.

Looking forward to contributing whatever I can in this forum. Loving the car so far, I just don't like the automatic idle/start stop, so if anyone knows how to turn it off, please let me know! Will be working on probably my only 1 mod/project - buying separate rearview mirror/map light assembly and seeing if a buddy of mine can swap the LEDs to white.

·
Super Moderator
587 Posts
There's a button on the center dash that lets you turn the auto stop/start off. It's the button immediately to the right of the hazards button.

However, I suggest not turning it off. The DCT does a good job with the auto stop/start and you will get used to it if you give it a chance.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I also realized that the auto stop start doesnt work when u dont have your seatbelt on. Thought for a long time that it was just done with turn on and off.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Welcome...just got the same exact car it seems...Is that Malbec black? I need to get rid of some swirlies too. I got my ceramic tints done too. What is ceramic coating? Is that for the whole paint job or something? Lets see pics of those aftermarket bulbs in action.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will definitely give it some time, but as of right now I am not used to it.

I was actually wondering if there is an option to actually turn it off completely maybe through the dealership or something.

There's a button on the center dash that lets you turn the auto stop/start off. It's the button immediately to the right of the hazards button.

However, I suggest not turning it off. The DCT does a good job with the auto stop/start and you will get used to it if you give it a chance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The color is actually Black Obsidian. The 2017's had the Malbec Black I believe.

Ceramic coating essentially protects the paint., and yes usually its applied to the whole car. There are many types of the ceramic coating, so if you are going to do it, I would do some research and see what works for you. As far as the swirl marks go, the paint correction was a lifesaver for me.

Here is a pic of the Auxito bulbs in action. They are definitely brighter than the stock halogen Phillips bulbs. My driveway is angled, the cutoff is actually higher than what you see in the pic. Overall, I am happy with the product.

Welcome...just got the same exact car it seems...Is that Malbec black? I need to get rid of some swirlies too. I got my ceramic tints done too. What is ceramic coating? Is that for the whole paint job or something? Lets see pics of those aftermarket bulbs in action.

·
Registered
Infiniti Qx30
25 Posts
The start / stop system is only for ecology, it is not good for the engine, clutch, starter or turbo.
Imagine you are driving pretty fast for a long time at high revs, suddenly you stop and the engine cuts out. The turbine is still spinning at high speed and there is no oil lubrication.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The start / stop system is only for ecology, it is not good for the engine, clutch, starter or turbo.
Imagine you are driving pretty fast for a long time at high revs, suddenly you stop and the engine cuts out.
The turbine is still spinning at high speed and there is no oil lubrication.
That is not 100% true. e.g. there is a electric oil pump for start/stop capability. Engine will not suffer at all, maybe the starter and battery will die a little bit faster - but they are designed to me much better (better materials and AGM battery) when compare to system without start/stop system anyway.

·
Super Moderator
587 Posts
Imagine you are driving pretty fast for a long time at high revs, suddenly you stop and the engine cuts out. The turbine is still spinning at high speed and there is no oil lubrication.
Complete malarkay.

There is no negative effect to the engine. Once warmed up, the engine experiences virtual no wear. Cold starts are where most wear occurs — and engine auto stop/start doesn’t engage until a specific temperature threshold has been met.

The clutch experiences ZERO wear from this function. It doesn’t matter if you have the engine auto stop/start function enabled or disabled, when you’re stopped at a red light both clutches must fully disconnect the input shaft from their gear sets.

As for the turbo, there is an electric oil pump. You can even hear it running sometimes after you shut the car off, get out, and lock the vehicle. This is why it’s okay to drive and turn the car off after you park. Without this feature, you’d have to sit in the car and idle for several minutes until the turbo cooled down — which no on wants to have to do.

·
Registered
Infiniti Qx30
25 Posts
Heard of an electric water pump but never heard of an electric oil circulation pump.
Where she is? what does it look like?

·
Super Moderator
587 Posts
The main oil pump is located in the engine block, above the oil pan. It's driven by a chain from the crankshaft. The turbo is fed oil via the chain tensioner. When the engine is shut off, the chain tensioner depressurizes and the oil drains through the turbo charger lines and then into the pan. This depressurization provides enough lubrication for the turbocharger to spin down safely -- although it's still quite hot. There is a secondary pump that circulates coolant, which flows through a heat exchanger connected with the oil system. This secondary pump is electric and may run for a few minutes even after the ignition switch is turned off.

There is also an electric oil pump in the transmission, btw.

·
Registered
Infiniti Qx30
25 Posts
Sorry, but you showed the electric water pump in the picture and we were talking about the electric oil pump.

I agree about the circulation of the liquid, there is an electric pump that works when the engine is turned off.

So I was right, the oil pump is mechanical like any other engine. When the engine is running and there is oil pressure, the tubro is protected. Oil flows through the turbocharger shaft as long as the engine's oil pump is running. Other engine components, such as the camshaft and chain, are also lubricated.

When the pump stops, the flow of oil stops.

In extreme situations, the red-hot turbocharger rotor spins at a very high speed and the core is lubricated by the oil flow.
We turn off the engine, the oil will stop flowing, it does not cool and does not lubricate the turbocharger rotor. Circuit driving is such an extreme example.
Although in the USA people drive calmly, in Europe people like to break the speed rules :)

The electric water pump in this case additionally heats the engine oil so that it gets the right temperature.

·
Super Moderator
587 Posts
you aren’t reading and comprehending what I wrote. The turbo is fed oil by the chain tensioner. When the engine is stopped, the chain tensioner will bleed down and feed the turbo with additional oil for a few seconds as it spins down. The turbo is protected.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Start that poll...who leaves auto/stop start on...who turns it off? I dont wear my selt belt so I guess im on the OFF side.

·
Registered
Infiniti Qx30
25 Posts
you aren’t reading and comprehending what I wrote. The turbo is fed oil by the chain tensioner. When the engine is stopped, the chain tensioner will bleed down and feed the turbo with additional oil for a few seconds as it spins down. The turbo is protected.
Got it, thanks for the clarification.
You just wrote about the electric oil pump, which confused me, and it was about the electric coolant pump.

I don't use the start / stop system. This system is not liked in Europe.
European cars often have a mileage of 200-300 thousand km. In the USA, the user of a new car will not experience faster wear of the engine accessories after a few years, because he will sell the car and buy a new one :)

·
Super Moderator
587 Posts
I don't use the start / stop system. This system is not liked in Europe.
European cars often have a mileage of 200-300 thousand km. In the USA, the user of a new car will not experience faster wear of the engine accessories after a few years, because he will sell the car and buy a new one :)
Your anti-American rhetoric is ignorant and inappropriate. There are plenty of vehicles with 250k-300k miles — not km, but miles.

·
Registered
Infiniti Qx30
25 Posts
I'm sorry if I offended anyone. I didn't mean it. I love american cars in general and respect the people of the usa. I have family in America.

I think you can afford new cars and you can exchange them often (my brother-in-law does it in the USA) and it is beautiful. Europe is deteriorating recently. People have more and more restrictions and new taxes. We in smaller cities drive old cars because we cannot afford new ones.

Apart from the Qx30, I have two old Honda Accord 1995 and Civic 1996, so I do not insult anyone who drives old and new cars.

·
Registered
12 Posts
People have more and more restrictions and new taxes. We in smaller cities drive old cars because we cannot afford new ones.
What are you talking about? it's 2021 not 1989 - maybe it's time to come out of the cave, dude :].

Maybe the fuel is cheaper, but take a 2 months of vacation and traveled around the USA, you will see that it is not much different from Europe (especially the East coast).

Sorry for the off-topic guys :)

·
Registered
Infiniti Qx30
25 Posts
Haha, yes I know what you are writing about. It is similarly.
But it is, for example, Poles who import used and broken cars from the USA and European countries, and not the other way around.

I unnecessarily started the wrong topic.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts