Infiniti QX30 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I am new to this forum . We just bought the fwd qx30 after we lost our car in an accident . We love it . The engine is little loud . Is it normal ?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi guys I am new to this forum . We just bought the fwd qx30 after we lost our car in an accident . We love it . The engine is little loud . Is it normal ?
4 cylinder engines are typically louder than V6's. I haven't noticed any abnormally loud engine sounds from mine though, but if you're used to a quiet V6, the QX30 will be a little louder.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Welcome to the forums and I'm terribly sorry to hear about the accident. 4 cylinders do typically sound a bit loud just because the extra effort needed to haul weight.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Welcome to the forums and I'm terribly sorry to hear about the accident. 4 cylinders do typically sound a bit loud just because the extra effort needed to haul weight.
Unfortunately yes but sometimes big 4 cylinder engines can sound like a V6 depending on where along the power band you are hearing it along with how the exhaust is tuned from factory or aftermarket.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Unfortunately yes but sometimes big 4 cylinder engines can sound like a V6 depending on where along the power band you are hearing it along with how the exhaust is tuned from factory or aftermarket.
Very true. Back in the days, you could hear a 4 cylinder and know it was a 4 cylinder. Now? You hear what you think is a 6 but it ends up being a 4. I guess now, it depends on the manufacturer you're buying from and the segment this 4 cylinder is placed in. A Honda 4 cylinder will always sound like a darn Honda 4 cylinder lol.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for all your replies . Really appreciate it . We had a 4 cylinder car and have seen many . But feels like the qx30 is a little louder then normal . Wish there was a way to upload a video here :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
my uncle knows cars and he told me it is because of mercedes all aluminum block and head, direct fuel injection
Winner. It's the DI or Direct Injection into the cylinder that causes most of the 'clacking' diesel-like noises. Nothing to be concerned about. You are hearing the solenoids open/close as each cylinders' fuel 'injection' occurs. The Ford Focus ST sounds identical (and I complained to the OEM to be told the same).

Your uncle knows his cars.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I actually love the cylinder sound of my Qx30. It sounds a little like diesel during idling but also purrs with gentle acceleration.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have no issue with idling noise or engine noise above 4th gear - but when I am accelerating from a stop, there is a definite mechanical clacking noise. It goes away if I take my foot off the accelerator and generally only happens in the lower gears (although on occasion I hear it when accelerating in higher gears). My sales rep says this is the turbo. But I drove a VW 2.0 turbo for 3 years and never experienced this sound. Does anyone else have this issue? I?ve only had mine for a week (2018 AWD).

·
Registered
148 Posts
@Jwork980: You may want to post a video or audio clip. Does this happen even after the car has warmed up and is up to temp?

·
Registered
148 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
@Zee yes!!! I was going to describe it like that. I want to use words like, whirring, clicking, but it definitely sounds like a baseball card is stuck inside a rotor somewhere

·
Registered
9 Posts
And thank you - yes, I had seen that other post (I?ve been lurking for a week trying to find someone else with a similar sound). My engine does sound like that when I start it, but the noise I?m referring to is something different altogether. I?ll take a video next chance I get.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Here is my sad attempt at a video of the sound. You can just make it out if you wear headphones with the volume up, lol. But it?s there - a high pitched metallic sound in the background. It stops when the car hits 52mph in the video. Thoughts? Is this normal?

https://youtu.be/XervvoBX69w

·
Registered
148 Posts
I can barely hear it with headphones, but I do hear something. It kinda sounds like metal to metal rubbing, almost. Also, maybe it's just the audio your phone is picking up, but your car sounds louder than mine does at the equivalent speed. I'll have to record myself going at the same speed and post it here. This isn't the issue you're asking about, but something I observed.

So yes, I do hear something metallic-y. Are you able to point the sound to a location (e.g., front, rear, side, underneath)? If there's a nearby Infiniti dealership, I would take it there and have a mechanic or service person drive in the car with you to help replicate the experience.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts