Infiniti QX30 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings - Just picked up a new to me QX30 FWD Premium. I have experience mainly with BMW's and Mercedes and was looking to downsize my wife's R350 as our kids are older and we have a full size SUV for family outings now, so yes we looked at the GLA, but found the QX30 to be a much better value. This is also my first Infiniti.

I gotta say, it's crazy how globalization has blurred the lines with this crossover. I mean a japanese car made in the UK, with german mechanicals....sheesh.

Does anyone here have access to a PDF or log for maintenance on the QX30? Or is it pretty standard fair, oil changes, transmission, spark plugs, air filter, etc?

I'll probably sign up to the GLA forum too. I typically try and do all my own maintenance and repairs, but I can only do that with the help of these forums. Couple things I've already noticed about our QX30;

1. It has the 'all apps loading' issue. Probably needs a software update from what I've read and it's still under warranty for the balance of the year, so there's that. Also, after just one day of ownership we are getting the dreaded black screen. fun trip that'll be to the dealership for warranty work...

2. Getting used to the Start Stop Idle feature. For awhile I thought it wasn't working, but I guess one of the conditions required to stop engine idle is a fuller gas tank?

3. Getting used to the navigation. Seems the system really wants or prefers you to use the voice command and/or choose from their database of addresses, poi's, locations vs inputting it manually.

4. Getting used to the dual clutch. Definitely made sure wifey knows to keep her foot on the brakes on inclines and declines. I have manual tranny bmw's so I get it.

5. I typically do oil changes twice a year and mileage avgs to about 12k/yr, so should be well within spec for the recommended 10k/yr from the mfg.

I anticipate may be 5 - 7 years of ownership, so with previous mercs during that time, I've changed the intake manifold, cooling system, valve cover, plugs, alternator, brakes, camshaft solenoids, cam plugs, pretty typical fair. I get this is a newer car, but it seems like I'll be dealing more with electrical gremlins than mechanical ones on it. Part of me hopes I don't have to worry about any of it, but I'm realistic.

Anyway, looking forward to a great ride!

·
Super Moderator
612 Posts
Does anyone here have access to a PDF or log for maintenance on the QX30? Or is it pretty standard fair, oil changes, transmission, spark plugs, air filter, etc?
I've attached the maintenance schedule. It can also be found in your manual. It's fairly standard compared to a Mercedes. More than you may expect if you're used to other Infiniti models.

1. It has the 'all apps loading' issue. Probably needs a software update from what I've read and it's still under warranty for the balance of the year, so there's that. Also, after just one day of ownership we are getting the dreaded black screen. fun trip that'll be to the dealership for warranty work...
The backup camera going black seems to be a common issue. I'm surprised the government hasn't forced a recall, as that is a federally-mandated safety feature. I'm not aware of an official fix for that problem.

2. Getting used to the Start Stop Idle feature. For awhile I thought it wasn't working, but I guess one of the conditions required to stop engine idle is a fuller gas tank?
The list of criteria that must be met for the ECM to activate the automatic engine stop/start function is extensive:

FUNCTION SEQUENCE FOR AUTOMATIC ENGINE STOP
The engine is switched OFF by ECM when all of the following function requirements are fulfilled:
  • Indicator lamp for the stop/start system button lights up (system has no malfunction and stop/start system is
  • activated)
  • Vehicle speed: 0 km/h (0MPH)
  • Coolant temperature: 60°C – 115°C (140°F – 239°F)
  • Engine speed in specified value range
  • Transmission oil temperature: 10°C – 120°C (50°F – 248°F)
  • Gear range: D or N range
  • Accelerator pedal not operated
  • Brake pedal operated until vehicle comes to a standstill
  • Sufficient vacuum [(−105) – (−9) kPa] in brake booster
  • Engine hood closed
  • No crash signal
  • No previous maximum full-stop braking
  • Steering wheel angular velocity in the specified value range
  • Condition of the on-board electrical system OK
  • Driver door closed
  • Driver seat belt applied
  • Interior temperature regulated
The following control units read in the following sensors and signals for fulfillment of the function requirements.
ECM
  • Engine coolant temperature sensor
  • Accelerator pedal sensor, accelerator pedal actuation
  • Fuel temperature sensor
  • Crankshaft position sensor, engine speed
  • Supplemental restraint system (SRS) control unit, direct crash signal
Combination meter
  • Vehicle speed
SRS control unit
  • Indirect crash signal
  • Status of driver seat belt
Body control unit (BCM)
  • Engine stop prohibition
  • Engine start request
  • Signal that engine hood is closed
  • Stop/Start system status button
A/C control
  • A/C status
  • Engine start request
Electronic Stability Program control unit
  • Wheel speed
  • Brake actuation
  • Engine stop release
  • Engine start request
Front door control unit (Driver′s side)
  • Front door contact switch (Driver′s side)
Steering column tube module control unit
  • Steering wheel angle
  • Steering wheel angular velocity
  • DISTRONIC electric controller unit, engine torque request (increasing or reducing) Fuel pump control module (FPCM), fuel pressure
  • TCM, status of gear range
DISTRONIC electric controller unit
  • Engine torque request (increasing or reducing)
Fuel pump control module (FPCM)
  • Fuel pressure
TCM
  • Status of gear range
After an automatic engine stop a maximum of three automatic engine stops are permitted without exceeding
the speed threshold of 8 km/h (5 MPH).

After the fourth engine start, the vehicle must exceed a speed of 8 km/h (5 MPH) in the engine stop.
Upon opening of the engine hood in automatic engine stop, the stop/start system is switched off and all indica-
tor lamps in the combination meter light up. The engine must be restarted using the transmitter key or over the stop/start button KEYLESS-GO.

3. Getting used to the navigation. Seems the system really wants or prefers you to use the voice command and/or choose from their database of addresses, poi's, locations vs inputting it manually.
Yes, voice seems to work best for inputing addresses. It's an old and outdated system, imo.

4. Getting used to the dual clutch. Definitely made sure wifey knows to keep her foot on the brakes on inclines and declines. I have manual tranny bmw's so I get it.
Even with conventional slush boxes that should be standard operating procedure. It amazes me how many people abuse their transmissions.

5. I typically do oil changes twice a year and mileage avgs to about 12k/yr, so should be well within spec for the recommended 10k/yr from the mfg.
I've sent out for oil analysis, and if you're using oil that meets the relevant specs (MB 229.5) then there is no reason to over-change the oil. Just do it every 10k and save yourself some time and coin.

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts