Infiniti QX30 Forum banner

New From Chicago

3K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Infiniti_Guy 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone,

New member here from the Chicagoland area. I am hoping to contribute to the forum as it grows as well as gain some knowledge about my new QX30 along the way.

#7 ·
Different for sure

Pretty good change in driving dynamics, how do you feel the transition is??
Without a doubt it is significantly different. I do enjoy the cabin feel of the QX30, but there are a few things I do feel the car does lack in comparison to the Q50. The most obvious being horsepower, I really do feel the QX30 could have benefited from maybe another 50 HP or maybe something to help with the turbo lag. Granted I finally got myself a decent weekend sports car and did not buy this car with the mindset of power, but I do miss the feel of confidence knowing I had plenty of power in the Q50 (call me an aggressive drive, who knows). I will also say I am surprised Infiniti did not try to up the power just a tad in the benz motor, since Infiniti does somewhat have that higher end sport allure across there line. I can be very wrong here, but I don't think many people buy an Infiniti thinking, hmm I bet I would save a ton of gas in that.

For the interior, I am happy with the overall look. I have the cafe brown interior with the suede roof. It does look very nice, but I think where they fall a little short is in the feel. The rear seats is where you can really tell. They are very basic, coming from the Q50 where the rear seats felt just as padded as the fronts. I am also surprised they did not add any kind of seat venting. The seats are not cooled nor do they have any kind of hoes in the leather to allow the heat from your body move along, I find my back gets very hot in this car compared to my black leather seats in the Q50. Also to my amazement the people in the rear are not offered any additional space compared to the Q50, possibly less.

I will say I do really enjoy the tech in the car, self parking, lane assist, water sensing wipers, smart lead lights, etc are all a very nice touch. Also they all work very well and I have no issues with they, they do not feel cheap or rushed. The cameras of the car are good, and the 360 top view also does a nice job. I do however miss the adaptive steering from the Q50. Being able to change the feel of the wheel from light to very aggressive was great. Also being able to go over a body of water on one side of the car without having the wheel jerk was just a great touch.

As for tech overall I will say Infiniti does fall very short in one area, that will ultimately be why this may very well be my last infiniti. I know it may not sound like a lot, but there media system is the worst I have seen in almost any car. I have seen better in cars that cost significantly less. realistically you can dive the most fancy car on the planet, but ultimately the only real entertainment you're going to get is from your radio. I find that in today's standards with the added help from cell phones, there really is no reason why Infiniti should have have a somewhat polished platform. In this area is where the cheap feel comes in. Most of these media options work (not work ok, or work well, they just kind of work) any of the Infiniti connect things are basically a joke, they phone integration is bad, the voice commands are horrible. I recommend to anyone here to take a stop into a BMW dealer and take a look at there entertainment system, to me it truly is worlds better.

I know this sounds like I am completely bashing my new QX30 but to be honest, I do like my QX30 it's aesthetically pleasing. It does drive very well, and does offer any components that function and perform great. This is just where I sit comparing the Q50 to the QX30. Believe me the Q50 also has its negatives and positives. Comparing these two cars is truly not far, they are each in a class of their own. Truthfully at the end of the day, the Q50 is made to feel more sport and it does it well. It falls short on some tech and also with the entertainment system but that overseen with the feel of the car and fun you get driving it. The QX30 I think was made to feel more like a luxury, tech filled crossover with an nice look to it. Sadly since I am not getting the pleasure of being able to rip around the streets in it, the entertainment system is a key to me. I would like better integration and less nonsense. If the app store does not work, and you have basically abandoned it, remove it and focus your efforts elsewhere on the system. Give me other reasons to be impressed.

I think with a little more time, some polishing the QX30 will be near perfect for what it is. As of today it is most definitely not bad at all.

#8 ·
That's a pretty thorough breakdown of it. Infotainment, at least in my opinion, is definitely not a little thing as it's something you use and have to look at all the time and involves your integration of several media devices.

Definitely doesn't seem like bashing, at least from an enthusiasts point of view, as there are always faults and drawbacks that we'll find in anything we drive.

#9 ·
EMS.Cotto, thank you for the very thorough response. I think context definitely helps when trying to understand how different owners feel about their vehicle!

Reactions: Jcbama85
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.