Infiniti QX30 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After asking to Infiniti Europe, now I know there is an Update for Nav SD Maps. To get it I should go to an Infiniti Service/Dialer and buy the new SD. I phone call the dialer to discover that the price for the Maps update is more than an external Navigations System as Garmin or TomTom (very expensive) and the Maps are in any case older more than one year.
So I don't know how to proceed:
1) Buy the very expensive Maps update from Infiniti
2) Use my smartphone in side of the OEM display
3) Cover the OEM display with an 8" android Tablet, but in this way I lose the 4 cameras view.
4) Use something like this:
but I'm not able to assemble it

What's your suggestion?

In my previous car I replaced my OEM infotainment with an Android head unit easily.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Is there a reason you "need" new maps?

I typically skip map updates for several years, as not much changes between updates, and it isn't worth the cost (to me) to update annually.

As you pointed out, the map updates lag behind the actual construction work... So if you see new roads in 2018 you won't see that reflected in a map update for a year or three.

So I'd say "delay" on option #1 .
As for option #2 /3 I'd definitely NOT do either. I think smart phone mounts are tacky and a safety hazard (in an accident). I paid for a built-in navigation system for a reason -- I'll keep using that. As for "custom" tablet mounts, unless you happen to be an expert fabricator then there is a 99.999% chance that it will come out looking "ghetto". Plus you lose a LOT more than just the backup camera, as HVAC, bluetooth, system settings, etc, are all handled through the factory screen that you'd be covering up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree with you I'll try to use option 1 delaying map updates...
What I don't understand of Infiniti it's all the system created to install apps and only 3 apps available in several years... The system is based on Android system as you can see from the follow image

Attachments

·
Registered
349 Posts
I agree with you I'll try to use option 1 delaying map updates...
What I don't understand of Infiniti it's all the system created to install apps and only 3 apps available in several years... The system is based on Android system as you can see from the follow image
Infiniti has one of the worst infotainment systems of any manufacturer, imo.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But at the end, Bose sound system is amazing, 360° view cameras very usefull, DAB radio and media player not bad. What I don'tl ike is the NAV graphic: very old style with the background that move every one second instead of a continous and fluid movement even if it make its job at the end.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts