Infiniti QX30 Forum banner

Mixed bag - General Feedback after 3 months of ownership

6K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Sinecure 
#1 ·
Bad:
- the rubber lining on the rear passenger door came lose and was just hanging
- The plastic trim around the front driver's door fitment has a gap in it...you can see the snap that connects to the car
- I thought the room in the back would be enough, but it's pretty small. That part is more subjective.
- The door locks? 1990's. It hurts your arm when when driving and they're ugly, cheap plastic, out of place. Not a luxury vehicle standard.
- Overpriced due to lack of refinement (trim, transmission/shifting)

Not sure how much of this is Mercedes' fault vs. Infiniti, but I think Infiniti made a mistake by partnering with Mercedes.

Good:
- Pretty quick! Shifting is not refined at all, but engine is quick
- Handles really well - at its best when on the highway...road trips = great

/don't flame, this is an honest post based on real-life experience. I also have a Lexus RC350 AWD.
I would have preferred an all-Infiniti built auto. Based on this, I would never buy a Mercedes.

See less See more
#2 ·
Interesting list.

We haven't had any trim issues with our QX30, but they are built in England -- and they're not known for the best fit/finish on mass-produced vehicles. (Obviously Rolls Royce would be an exception).

Some RTV sealant of the appropriate variety should quickly resolve your rubber lining issue.

As for the plastic trim, is that a new development? If so, what changed? I would have assumed panel/trim gaps would be visible at the time of purchase, so you'd be aware of the issue before you bought.

I wholeheartedly agree about the door lock pins. They're sharp, and are generally "cheap" looking and feeling. Thankfully, they're inexpensive and easy to upgrade. Head over to eBay and search for "QX30 door pins" or "GLA door pins" and take your pick from the assorted offerings. I agree that Infiniti (or Mercedes) should have done better, from the factory, but at least it's easy for us to fix, ourselves.

I wouldn't consider the QX30 overpriced. Honestly my wife and I felt it was a bargain in this particular segment. It is an entry-level luxury crossover -- so you shouldn't expect uber-premium levels of features and quality... But it's most definitely a cut above a Nissan/Chevy/Toyota/Whatever.

As for the transmission, I cannot disagree with you more. I find the DCT to be an absolute peach. It's a fantastic transmission! The shifts are crisp, and it's a joy to drive. I wish Infiniti would pay attention to how marvelous the 7G-DCT is and start equipping more of their vehicles with this type of transmission.

#4 ·
One of the reasons we bought our used 17 QX30 was the 14 CLA I own. Same engine, transmission, except MB has smoothed out the shift over the years. I still love my CLA and when I drive my wife's QX30, this car as well. One of the first things I did was replace the plastic door lock pins, as stated. No biggie. Both vehicles are are reasonably priced luxury cars. I hope this car holds up as well as my CLA has thus far. Enjoy the ride!

#5 ·
Hi @indio7777 and welcome!
Thanks for sharing your issues. Interesting about the rubber seals. Do they 'clip' or 'pop' in? Hopefully an easy fix but if the part that connects it to the door is missing or damaged, have the dealer replace that sucker!

Also interested in the door trim where you can see the snap. Can you share a photo of that?

I sat in the back for the first time yesterday. Legroom was more than fine but I bet headroom could be an issue if you are taller.

Totally agree on those original long black plastic door pins. Get yourself some nice brushed aluminum (and shorter) AMG pins for $30 or so and upgrade those in just a couple easy minutes. When your door is locked, the pins are close to flush.

If you bought the QX30 new, they can be a little pricey. I still can't believe what a great deal I got on my 2017 Sport with 11K miles. More than a great deal and a steal at $25K. Hard to think of something close to being better at that price.

It IS pretty quick. If you want even more enjoyment, $300 gets you the Dinantronics Sport boost controller/tuner.

The 7 speed dual clutch transmission is one of my favorite features of this awesome car. Hopefully, it grows on you!

#6 ·
I'm a little over 18 months of ownership and have not had any issues with rattles, trim pieces, or anything cosmetic. Right now, I do get a "check coolant level" warning every time I do a cold start, but I have not been able to schedule an appointment with the dealership due to my busy schedule.

So with the transmission, there are good days and bad days. The good days are when you've got the car warmed up and there's no traffic in the city. The bad days are when you're driving around the city with traffic. I had a pretty lengthy post about the transmission (see: https://www.infinitiqx30.org/forum/qx30-general-discussion/25674-city-stop-go-traffic-driving.html). Aside from the jerkiness in low speed traffic, it is really a fun driving experience due to the combination of the engine and transmission. My lifetime MPG average is like 23-24 MPG, which I think is bad simply because my X5 got 22 MPG easily. No biggie though--I don't usually drive to save money on gas. ;)

I still hate the fact that the version of the QX30 that I have does not do the auto-unlock.

My favorite features of the car are the LED headlights and the adaptive cruise control. Oh and the around view cameras. Those are an absolute must for these cars because the pillars are so thick due to safety regulations.

Oh, and another thing that I find really comical about this car is that the engine sounds so unrefined. I'm not complaining about it; I think it gives the car a personality.

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
@Guitarchitect
Sounds wonderful and super happy I did it. Sounds nothing like a honda. Nice try though... Ignore the [nice person] above that [expressed his own opinion]. edited by moderator for decorum
You will be happy too. It was a whopping $60 to remove it at a performance muffler shop with the promise to re-install if I didn't like it. That wasn't needed.
Happy every single day when I start it and when I get on it. Brings it closer to the AMG sound.
https://www.infinitiqx30.org/forum/engine-technical-discussion/25911-resonator-delete.html

#13 ·
Seriously, if you two can't get along, I'll put you both in the penalty box for a couple weeks. Be nice. If you want to flame one another, go to FB or another forum.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.