Infiniti QX30 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BMW Blog has posted an interesting matchup between QX30 2-liter 4-cylinder turbocharged engine making 208 HP and 258 lb-ft (350 Nm) of torque. and MINI Countryman Cooper S comes with a 2-liter 4-cylinder turbocharged engine making 189 HP and 207 lb-ft (280 Nm) of torque, all-wheel drive and a 6-speed Aisin-sourced gearbox. They put two rivals on the drag track to see who will be a winner in this type of competition. To check it out go here --> bmwblog.com/2017/11/13/german-proxy-war-mini-countryman-drag-races-infiniti-qx30/

·
Registered
43 Posts
Never thought of putting the two into a sort of proxy war between the BMW X1 and Mercedes-Benz GLA 250 until now. Maybe Infiniti will look at this for the new QX30 update and fix that turbo lag.

·
Registered
43 Posts
But the Mini Countryman is just a Mini with four doors, hard to compare it to a high sitting crossover like the Q30, though i do admit their design looks pretty great.

·
Registered
84 Posts
But the Mini Countryman is just a Mini with four doors, hard to compare it to a high sitting crossover like the Q30, though i do admit their design looks pretty great.
New MINI Countryman's platform is based on X1, so it has the similar sitting height as BMW X1.

·
Registered
209 Posts
But even that could change since its the easiest of all platform related things they have to work with. Some car makers have platforms so diverse that models in complete different segments could both sit on them.

·
Registered
84 Posts
But even that could change since its the easiest of all platform related things they have to work with. Some car makers have platforms so diverse that models in complete different segments could both sit on them.
Right - but X1 vs CMS was simply ctrl + c and then ctrl + v type of work.

My son needed a small SUV, so we cross-shopped X1 and CMS. They were very identical twins. It wasn't like Golf vs Tiguan. It was X1 vs X1.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right - but X1 vs CMS was simply ctrl + c and then ctrl + v type of work.

My son needed a small SUV, so we cross-shopped X1 and CMS. They were very identical twins. It wasn't like Golf vs Tiguan. It was X1 vs X1.
So what did your son end up with? I test drove BMW X1 once and it didn't impress me at all, can't say anything about CMS though.

·
Registered
84 Posts
So what did your son end up with? I test drove BMW X1 once and it didn't impress me at all, can't say anything about CMS though.
I agree. I test drove both X1 and new CMS, and didn't like both. My son liked X1. I am sure he liked the badge, so I got him a Range Rover Discovery. He doesn't like it, but I like it and I am paying for it. lol

Now he has the biggest car in my house, so I page him every time I am at the Lowes.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Now he has the biggest car in my house, so I page him every time I am at the Lowes.
As is expected. :D
The Range Rover Discovery is a great car and actually piqued my interest, but the car was just too large for me and my Lowes-less life. The QX30's more compact size is easier to deal with.

·
Registered
84 Posts
As is expected. :D
The Range Rover Discovery is a great car and actually piqued my interest, but the car was just too large for me and my Lowes-less life. The QX30's more compact size is easier to deal with.
Yes, it is HUGE, and the trunk space is ridiculously spacious w/o the 3rd row option. So far, my son is OK driving it, and he hasn't hit anything yet. #knockonwood

Overall, I like my QX30 more than the Discovery. It is relatively quick w/ great gas mileage, easy to park plus cheap insurance/maintenance. There is only one thing I am jealous at my son. He can start his engine using his phone (Land Rover InControl), and his front windshield is heated. :(

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree. I test drove both X1 and new CMS, and didn't like both. My son liked X1. I am sure he liked the badge, so I got him a Range Rover Discovery. He doesn't like it, but I like it and I am paying for it. lol

Typical father's mentality :D

Why did you end up with Range Rover Discovery though? It's a different segment vehicle, isn't it?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Typical father's mentality :D

Why did you end up with Range Rover Discovery though? It's a different segment vehicle, isn't it?
Right, I wasn't even considering any Range Rover SUVs until my son told me his girlfriend's dad works at the Jag/Land Rover dealership, and can get us one cheap.

The best lease quote for X1 was $470/ 9% tax included for 36 months/10k miles. MSRP was less than 50k
For Countryman S All4, it was around $390, but the MSRP was around 45k.

Both were zero upfront fees. All fees were rolled into the payment.

For Discovery, I believe it was mid-60k and zero upfront fees -> $465 a month. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
some may actually look at this site and not facebook :)
I compared many cars

focus rs - amg 45 - subaru wrx hatch - audi s3 and more
the amg was my first choice too harsh for the wife

so the perfect car for our needs was an awd premium qx 30
yes I had to have led and technology package

small but not too small
turbo and awd for my locale
luxurious and quick so hence the qx30

I have a faster larger twin turbo truck for 6 when needed and that pulls 5000lbs
and an Italian motorcycle for real fast jaunts

for me a perfect car and a real value --- used 2018 with 4k miles a CPO dealer car

·
Registered
53 Posts
I was looking seriously at the Countryman back in 2014 until my daughter (the car expert in the family) pointed out the CLA. That was that. I'm very happy with my choice. I wanted something sporty that I could afford, and that I could put my bass equipment in. I was a bit concerned with the Mini's reliability. I've no issues with my CLA, thankfully.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts