Infiniti QX30 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a 2018 QX30 with 22K miles. My daughter pointed out a metallic clinking noise when I started the engine. I hadn't noticed it but would like to know if anyone else hears this when they start their car and if anyone knows what it is. Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Our 2017 did it as well. It was a heat shield causing the sound, nothing mechanical. At one point there were multiple videos of the occurrence on YouTube.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Never noticed it before until today...right after getting my oil changed (not at dealer)!
First crank after the change and something sounded strange...quick metallic clink.
I’ll check the engine cover...they must have done something when doing the work.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Never noticed it before until today...right after getting my oil changed (not at dealer)!
First crank after the change and something sounded strange...quick metallic clink.
I’ll check the engine cover...they must have done something when doing the work.
What oil did they use? I would NOT trust most shops to change the oil on the QX30... I wouldn't be surprised if they used 0W20 or 5W30 because "it's got an Infiniti badge". However, that would be a REALLY bad idea for these cars, which should use a *quality* 0W40 with MB 229.5 certification.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Valvoline Full Synthetic 5W40 SynPower MST oil was what I put in. Read up on it and had great reviews including in Mercedes GLA250s. Hope the new “clink” was not related to the oil change.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Valvoline Full Synthetic 5W40 SynPower MST oil was what I put in. Read up on it and had great reviews including in Mercedes GLA250s. Hope the new “clink” was not related to the oil change.
That's a diesel oil. I would not run that in a QX30 with a gasoline engine. It does not have the MB 229.5 certification.

·
Registered
331 Posts
So you agree with me?

The QX30 manual states you need MB 229.5. It does NOT state 229.51.

Just because an oil says it's okay for "petrol" engine and has some unrelated specification doesn't mean it's appropriate for YOUR specific application.

The QX30 requires MB 229.5, so that is ALL that you should use.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yes, agree. I did my own research and found the MB spec sheet with list of motor oils acceptable for all MB engines. The QX30’s M270 2.0 Turbo engine is OK with 229.51oil in Europe but it is not OK in the US.
Interesting, on Valvoline’s oil spec sheets a footnote says its 229.51oil can be used in place of 229.5. In any case, I’m taking it back for a change!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mine makes that same clink when starting. I always just figured it was the starter engaging. It did it with the dealer installed oil and I am using Mobil1 0w40 euro oil, so it has nothing to do with the type of oil you are using.

In my opinion, it's a non issue.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts