Infiniti QX30 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

So I would just like a little peace of mind here. When I start my QX30 there is just a lot of noise coming from the engine bay. Enough that I have have a few people now ask me if my car is a desel.

There always seems to be somewhat of a chatter sound coming from the bay. So I was wondering if this is normal for this non Infiniti engine, or are your cars silent and mine as some kind of potential defect.

I would love to post a video, but apparently I am not allowed yet as a new-ish member.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I am sorry, but it sounds normal to me.. I knew the engine is loud based on my findings from Benz GLA forum, but QX30 is much quieter than MINI engines.

I think it is normal, but you can ask your dealer to check it next time you're in for a service..

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had a 2015 Subaru Impreza before this and the engine was much louder (boxer engine). Plus, the Subaru factory idle stays at 2k rpm for about 5 minutes. It's extremely annoying.

Part of the reason I bought this car was how quiet it was compared to the Subaru. A lot of that is also the insulation/noise levels on the freeway.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Thanks for posting the video for reference. I think it sounds a little louder in the video because the vehicle is inside. Admittedly, when I first start the car in my garage (with the garage door open, of course), it does sound a little unrefined, but not earth-shaking loud. For perspective, my QX30 replaces a BMW X5 (E70) with the silky smooth 3.0 I6 engine. From the perspective of volume, both are about the same. However, the BMW sounded more refined if that makes sense. Of course, it's an apples and oranges comparison between a turbocharged 4-cylinder and a naturally aspirated inline-6.

When I first read the title thread, I thought you were referring to the engine noise while driving and so I immediately thought the opposite. I think the engine at 4,000+ RPM is too quiet. >:D

For reference, I can take a video at startup of my QX30 AWD in the garage. Let me know!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you

Thanks for posting the video for reference. I think it sounds a little louder in the video because the vehicle is inside. Admittedly, when I first start the car in my garage (with the garage door open, of course), it does sound a little unrefined, but not earth-shaking loud. For perspective, my QX30 replaces a BMW X5 (E70) with the silky smooth 3.0 I6 engine. From the perspective of volume, both are about the same. However, the BMW sounded more refined if that makes sense. Of course, it's an apples and oranges comparison between a turbocharged 4-cylinder and a naturally aspirated inline-6.

When I first read the title thread, I thought you were referring to the engine noise while driving and so I immediately thought the opposite. I think the engine at 4,000+ RPM is too quiet. >:D

For reference, I can take a video at startup of my QX30 AWD in the garage. Let me know!
I would very much so like to see and hear a video of another QX. I will take a video of mine outside as well. Honestly mine has the sound of a small diesel motor. I will probably end up going to the dealer and have them show me a new QX to compare. Sadly I find that the techs and service managers at my Infiniti tend to be on the lazy side and always find a way to brush off issues, It's beyond annoying to say the least.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Sadly I find that the techs and service managers at my Infiniti tend to be on the lazy side and always find a way to brush off issues, It's beyond annoying to say the least.
Oh tell me about it. I have the same exact thoughts of my dealership techs and service manager. Infiniti needs to learn a thing or two from Lexus, Mercedes-Benz, and BMW.

My experience with BMW service managers is that they are true experts and very knowledgeable about their products. Mercedes-Benz and Lexus know how to treat a customer right--they focus on complete satisfaction and don't settle for anything less.

There has been nothing premium or noteworthy about my experience with Infiniti service.

Anyway, I'll take a video tonight and post in this thread!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I agree with Zee - the QX30 does sound unrefined.
I noticed it the first time I started mine away from the dealership (i.e., in a normal-to-me environment). I'm coming out of a 2006 G35 Coupe, preceded by a 2000 Audi TT, and 2004 Acura TL, among other things. Never noticed anything odd or remarkable when starting those cars, but the QX30 ... WTH?! It doesn't sound at all like a modern, upscale vehicle.
Still, there's nothing alarming about the noise like in EMS.Cotto's case.

Also agree about the lack of a luxury experience with Infiniti. Was true when I first tried to buy one in 2004 (and walked out in disgust to go to Acura instead). Still true today.
Meanwhile, I've enjoyed my sales and service experiences with Acura, Lexus, and Audi - multiple dealerships for each.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
More Videos

I agree with Zee - the QX30 does sound unrefined.
I noticed it the first time I started mine away from the dealership (i.e., in a normal-to-me environment). I'm coming out of a 2006 G35 Coupe, preceded by a 2000 Audi TT, and 2004 Acura TL, among other things. Never noticed anything odd or remarkable when starting those cars, but the QX30 ... WTH?! It doesn't sound at all like a modern, upscale vehicle.
Still, there's nothing alarming about the noise like in EMS.Cotto's case.

Also agree about the lack of a luxury experience with Infiniti. Was true when I first tried to buy one in 2004 (and walked out in disgust to go to Acura instead). Still true today.
Meanwhile, I've enjoyed my sales and service experiences with Acura, Lexus, and Audi - multiple dealerships for each.
Same before this I have a Q50 and when the engine was on it sounded great. With this car it just seems to have all kinds of sounds going on, and none of them pleasing. Also like you mentioned, I have to agree again. I get better service at the Chevy dealer then I do most of the time at my Infiniti Dealer. I also used to have a BMW 328is, honestly my most favorite car to own. Service was amazing with BMW.

Anyway, here are the videos.

https://youtu.be/6B8xcvefvrk

https://youtu.be/LQkK8UMf0d8

·
Registered
148 Posts
I got a chance to record a video after leaving the office. My QX30 sounds nearly identical to yours when starting the car outside. Take a listen:

https://youtu.be/xI6lbbUvk0k

I also made a video while in the car. It sounds very quiet in the cabin:

https://youtu.be/kJ987rgB828

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lord Help Us

I got a chance to record a video after leaving the office. My QX30 sounds nearly identical to yours when starting the car outside. Take a listen:

https://youtu.be/xI6lbbUvk0k

I also made a video while in the car. It sounds very quiet in the cabin:

https://youtu.be/kJ987rgB828
WOW... You're absolutely correct they sound basically the same. It blows my mind how loud these engines are, they sound like they are falling apart lol. My Q50 was good, my G35 coupe was music to my ears, this is satanic heavy metal compared. From the inside it is not to bad, I will give it that. Thanks for taking the time to make a video in return, I really appreciate it. I suppose now that I know this is just what it will always be, I guess it's time to start tinkering with the Turbo and Blow Off Valve to make up for the unholy noises coming from under the hood lol.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sorry, I had posted this to another thread.

The noise you are hearing is the direct injection (DI) solenoids as they open/close to inject gasoline into each cylinder. DI bypasses the intake valve and is squirting fuel into the cylinder. The solenoids are really loud, just like my Focus ST that I had a while back. I have noticed the hood has no insulation underneath, probably for temperature dissipation reasons (this motor gets HOT) so no noise reduction as a result.

It's totally normal. Mask it with BOVs and better exhausts. Embrace it. It means extra HP :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
What @spinadog said is what my first answer is. DIG makes unusual noises. My 2016 Q50 Red Sport makes a ticking noise that is especially noticeable for the first 10-20 seconds after a cold start. QX30 noise is different, but the root cause is the same.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My QX30 sounds like a chain and sprocket at start up and tends to surge at start up too. Infiniti should have installed a hood liner to reduce the engine noise/reflection. Infiniti service doesn't understand the QX30 because most of it comes from Mercedes. Looking at the Mercedes GLA forum, they have issues just starting, so I feel better now almost.

Another link https://www.infinitiscene.com/threads/help-funky-noise-immediately-after-starting.34012/

·
Registered
184 Posts
I agree it is a unique engine sound at start-up, unlike any engine I have ever had...but it is also the first direct injection Mercedes engine I have ever had. It sounds just like the loaner QX30 I had, and I believe it is pretty consistent with all of our engines.
Loaner cars of the same model you drive are always helpful for comparisons. If you had a noise or characteristic that you were unsure about (like our AC fans in speed 3 has a specific 'hum' to it. I was a little concerned about the fan motor until I drove the loaner that had the exact same noise at speed 3)

·
Registered
84 Posts
I agree it is a unique engine sound at start-up, unlike any engine I have ever had...but it is also the first direct injection Mercedes engine I have ever had. It sounds just like the loaner QX30 I had, and I believe it is pretty consistent with all of our engines.
Loaner cars of the same model you drive are always helpful for comparisons. If you had a noise or characteristic that you were unsure about (like our AC fans in speed 3 has a specific 'hum' to it. I was a little concerned about the fan motor until I drove the loaner that had the exact same noise at speed 3)
Oh, good to know it wasn't just me with AC 'hum'. Mine does it in speed 2, so I use speed 1 as much as I can while driving near any folks who are walking to stay in stealth mode.

Reactions: Ron and __XIS__
1 - 19 of 19 Posts