Infiniti QX30 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone else doing their own maintenance? If so, how are you safely lifting the vehicle and placing it on jackstands?

On my other vehicles, I find a sturdy and accessible place to use my floor jack, and then use the factory lift points to set my jack stands.

On my MDX, for example, Acura provides a convenient jack point in the center front/rear of the vehicle, so I can place my floor jack there, and have the traditional "4-post" locations free to place my jack stands.

I recently changed the oil and rotated the tires on a family members Lexus, and I placed my floor jack underneath where the lower control arm met the chassis. This also left enough room to place the jack stand underneath the factory pinch weld.

However, on the QX30 I see no suitable location to lift the vehicle that doesn't prevent access to the factory "4-post" locations. I am aware of a product called Rennstands that seems to solve this problem; however, at approximately $560 for a set (shipped) it is not an inexpensive solution!

Is anyone aware of another solution?

Ideally I'd love to hear a location where you've safely jacked up the vehicle without hindering access to the jack stand points.

Otherwise, if someone is aware of a less expensive product, that'd be great.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm not one to do my own maintenance so I unfortunately can't help you.
Maybe you can find jacking points behind each of the front wheels and in front of the rear wheels. That's the general area I've been told.

·
Super Moderator
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, as mentioned in my post, I have been unable to find any.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I’m one of those that will be doing most all of my own maintenance also. I haven’t had the car that long (6 days!) and I know it’s covered with plastic under there but can you see the sub frame or maybe have to remove a cover to get to it

·
Super Moderator
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m one of those that will be doing most all of my own maintenance also. I haven’t had the car that long (6 days!) and I know it’s covered with plastic under there but can you see the sub frame or maybe have to remove a cover to get to it
I have not found a safe place to jack the vehicle that doesn't block access from jackstands. There are plastic covers, but as best I can tell there is no way to remove them without jacking the vehicle up, first... And even if you did get the covers off, I didn't see any obvious places that I would feel safe using to jack from.

The cost for the Rennstands is high, but I think that is the route I'm going to go.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a set of Race Ramps RR-40s that provide plenty of clearance for oil changes on the QX30. I have used them for years on the wife's BMW, which has a good bit less ground clearance. They are fairly expensive for ramps (I believe they were around 150 bucks for a set), but they are solid, unlike most, and I have never had an issue with them sliding while attempting to drive onto them.

I should note that I have actually had the QX30 on the ramps, to test for clearance specifically for oil changes.

·
Super Moderator
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have ramps... But they are not helpful for tire rotations.

·
Registered
43 Posts
On the bright side, Rennstands should work for all cars so you'll get plenty of use out of them over the years so long as they don't break.

·
Super Moderator
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On the bright side, Rennstands should work for all cars so you'll get plenty of use out of them over the years so long as they don't break.
Almost all cars. They don't work on my parents Lexus CT200h, for example.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Why would you need a set of 4? You can get away with 2 and use the jack for each of the 2 remaining corners, one at a time, to rotate tires.

·
Super Moderator
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Why would you need a set of 4? You can get away with 2 and use the jack for each of the 2 remaining corners, one at a time, to rotate tires.
There will be services that will require all four wheels off the ground. Transmission fluid change, for example. I also prefer the vehicle to be level when doing oil changes.

·
Super Moderator
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm thankful to discover that I do not need to purchase Rennstands.

Infiniti (actually Mercedes) does include a front "center" jack point on the QX30.

I didn't see it, before, because it's in a stupid location. It's BEHIND the engine, partially obscured by the exhaust. Even looking at it I would not have assumed it was appropriate to lift the vehicle from that point. However, the service manual does show it as an approved/appropriate lift point.

I tested it out, and was able to successfully lift the vehicle and put the front on jack stands. Yay.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Digging up an old topic but... is there enough clearance to roll a jack order the front bumper to reach the JACK POINT?

·
Super Moderator
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, my Craftsman rolling floor jack fits under my AWD QX30 and reaches the jack point. The angle of the handle is limited, at first, so you have to make some small pumps, but as the vehicle lifts you get more access to make a larger pumping action.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts