Infiniti QX30 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it’s spring, but we had a snow storm last night. We went from rain to sleet to snow, the temperature was right at freezing. The LED headlights were not doing a very good job and it very dark where we live out in the country with very few street lights. I have only driven the car a handful of times and have commented to my family that I did not think that the LED lights while driving at night on wet roads were nowhere as good as our other vehicles that all have xenon lights. When I pulled into the driveway the lighting was very poor against the garage door. When I got out to look the entire headlight lens was covered in sleet/snow so it was defusing the light.

We really do enjoy the car and this has nothing to do with Infiniti but I’m very curious as more and more cars are coming out with LED headlights are they having the same issue with not enough heat being generated to melt the snow or do they have other methods to ensure that the snow/sleet does not build up.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Very interesting predicament. I think my favorite exterior feature is the LED lights. We only had one "real" snowstorm in the D.C. area, but I typically work from home on those days.

You're right that the LED bulbs don't give off a lot of heat, but the diodes in the back tend to produce a lot of heat, which is why many bulbs have heat sinks in the rear. I wonder if there's an elegant engineering solution to divert the heat to the front when the temperature is at or below freezing.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I thought these had halogen projector headlights and LED fog lights? Mine does and the headlights are more yellow than the fog
lights.

In my previous experience with HIDs (xenon) the light does not work as well in snow. I had an FX35 and a QX4 with those. I also had an old Maxima with HID inserts and I added yellow fog lights for snow.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I raised my LED headlights 3 full turns, and they are perfect now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts