Infiniti QX30 Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
From my limited knowledge of LEDs, the LED chips themselves run cool, It’s all the circuitry needed to drive them that gets hot.

HIDs ar suppose to run slightly cooler than incandescent bulbs and run using less current after the initial ignition. The HIDs need a power surge initially to fire up, which is the job of the ballast.

I’ve done HID upgrades in the past, mainly for looks. I converted the fogs in my ‘08 Grand Cherokee from incan bulbs to yellow HIDs. using high output incan bulbs caused the lenses to crack due to heat. The lenses were fine with HID.

the only thing with HID is finding a place for the ballast. Fortunately, the ballasts don’t get hot like resistors.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Just some other unrelated observations on LEDs... I installed a set of 3157 LED tail light bulbs in another car, but they needed resistors to avoid error codes. In testing at home, I found that halogen 3157 bulbs hit over 300F when lit for several minute. The 3157 LED bulb ran about 90F for the same run time. The LED resistor ran 200-250F though, and needed to be mounted to metal to help dissipate the heat.

what this leads me to believe is that the halogen housing should be designed to handle high heat. It’s the surrounding parts that you have to worry about.

·
Registered
27 Posts
So I installed the pricey GTR Ultra Series 2 LEDs - they DID require the anti-flicker harness but they work really well, beautiful cutoff and brightness.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts