Infiniti QX30 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got a set of Hikari Ultra 9012 bulbs to put in my mother’s 2019 QX30. I tested them on a 12v source at home and they worked fine. I took off the wheels to have better access to the stock bulb.

After getting the drivers side LED in, I tested it and it flickered! I removed the LED and plugged in the other LED without putting it in the housing and got nothing. The bulbs cooling fan didn’t even spin.

I gave up and plugged the stock bulb back into the harness, but not into the housing and it didn’t light up. Once I put the bulb back into the housing, it worked Fine!!!

Based on my trials and errors, I’m thinking I need an anti-flicker module? But the fact that the stock bulb only lit up when seated into the housing had me puzzled. It might be a far out assumption, but Is there some sensor in the housing that detects if a bulb is in place?

·
Registered
2018 Infiniti QX30 Premium (Mother's Car)
60 Posts
Did the bulbs come with a built in resistor, or a resistor that the bulbs can plug into? If you just plug in an LED bulb into a car that was meant for Halogen bulbs, it can cause the car to act funny. It can do things like make the bulbs flicker or even hyperflash.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The bulbs have the built in fan and a little metal box built into the wiring, just before the plug. I assume that’s what you are talking about?

I just got home and tested the bulbs on a 12v source and they worked fine. I dropped an email to HIKARI to see what they say.

Do you guys possibly think that it might have worked if I installed both LED headlights? Is it possible that the ECU noticed a voltage difference between the passenger side and drivers side and shut something down, hence the stock bulb not lighting up at first when I reinstalled it?

·
Registered
60 Posts
My stepfather had the same issue on his Subaru Legacy. He got a different set of LED bulbs and the problem went away. I'm thinking this might be the case for you. The bulbs are probably not going to work with your vehicle...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info... I went with Hikari based on the reviews on this site! although most of the review were with the previous generation, I hoped the newest bulb would also be plug n play, just like the previous gen.

Ill wait to see what Hikari says and report back. I just hate that the bulb install is such a pain... I feel like I’m in a joke... “How many guys does it take to change a lightbulb???”

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got a response from HIKARI. They said I probably need their resistors. They provided an Amazon coupon for 99% off too! I placed the order but they won’t be available till 8/10. Hope it works and I hope I’m motivated enough to install them when they arrive!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I received the Hikari resistors yesterday, but I haven’t installed them yet. I did test them out in my house and the combo ran without any problems.

I ran the bulbs/resistor combo for 30 minutes to see how hot the resistors got. They only reached 100-110F. I checked the fan/heat sink area and it was 90-98F. The area around the LED chips was about 110F. Surprisingl, the hottest part of the whole assembly was the little metal box that was part of the LED bulb’s wiring. That reached 120F.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Out of boredom, I ran the bulbs again today for an hour. All the temps remained relatively the same, but the LED control box hit a high of 150F. Does anyone think that temp could cause any problems being tucked inside the headlight housing? I figure it shouldn’t be a problem being that under hood temps probably get hotter than that?!?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I wouldn't be all too concerned. Halogen bulbs are usually a lot hotter than 150F. Just make sure the control box has a bit of space when you tuck it in.

·
Registered
27 Posts
installed the 12000lm Hikari and they were running super hot with the plastic cover off the headlight - I can only imagine the temp if it was sealed up - took them out and installed the 9600lm - they stayed cool to the touch. I should've put the infared thermometer on them to check the temps of the 12000lm.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info BAGWELL. I still haven’t installed my set yet. Did you need to use the anti-flicker mods? Like I wrote earlier, I was surprised to find that the control box got the hottest. I figured that the flicker mod was simply a resistor, which I know can get REALLY hot.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had them on for about 5 mins and they didn't flicker. I did get the anti-flicker adapters but didn't use them.

Also - beam pattern on the 12000lm was messed up. I farted with them a lot too.

Just test drove with the 9600lm and they look dimmer than the halogen :mad:

I said screw it -- Just ordered the GTR Lighting Ultra 2.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Being that this is my mother’s car, I’m really having second thoughts on installing these now. She doesn’t do much night driving and needs reliability, not flash, so I might just leave them stock... keep an eye on the FOR SALE section if your interested in a set of Hikari Ultra 9012 bulbs with anti flicker boxes... never installed, only tested...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Being that this is my mother’s car, I’m really having second thoughts on installing these now. She doesn’t do much night driving and needs reliability, not flash, so I might just leave them stock... keep an eye on the FOR SALE section if your interested in a set of Hikari Ultra 9012 bulbs with anti flicker boxes... never installed, only tested...
Personally, if the car doesn't have LED low beams from the factory then I stick with halogen. I highly recommend the Philips CrystalVision Ultra Halogen bulbs. They look white (not the typical orange color you see on a cheap halogen bulb) and they are great on the road. I've used them on my old pickup truck before I sold it, and my previous car before I sold it. It made the cars look awesome at night!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm thinking about an 4300K HID kit if these GTR bulbs don't work out...I need more light, I don't care if the beam is whiter.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I need more light, I don't care if the beam is whiter.
Some people get LEDs or HIDs for that specific reason (whiter color). Sometimes puting LEDs and/or HIDs in a vehicle meant for halogen bulbs doesn't work out well...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Some people get LEDs or HIDs for that specific reason (whiter color). Sometimes puting LEDs and/or HIDs in a vehicle meant for halogen bulbs doesn't work out well...
never had an issue with HID kits as long as it has projector headlights. I've done 3 or 4 HID kits in projectors and they always have been excellent brightness with sharp cutoffs.

·
Registered
60 Posts
never had an issue with HID kits as long as it has projector headlights. I've done 3 or 4 HID kits in projectors and they always have been excellent brightness with sharp cutoffs.
I would only be concerned about burning the projectors to be honest. I've seen some pictures of them getting cooked by HIDs more so then LEDs (which tend to run cooler right?).

·
Registered
27 Posts
well those Hikari LED housings were burning my fingers to the touch....GTR Ultra S2's are much cooler. As far as HIDs....there's varying opinions whether they run hotter or cooler than HID bulbs.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts