Infiniti QX30 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you guys get the extended warranty on your Infiniti QX30?
I'm leasing my 2018 QX30 at this time with the intention of buying at the end of the lease. I intend on buying the extended warranty for the piece of mind of being covered. One thing goes wrong with the electronics and it's worth it.

·
Super Moderator
565 Posts
As a general rule, I do not buy extended warranties. They are a huge profit center for dealers and that is because they cost a heck of a lot more than what they expect to pay out in repairs. If you think a product is going to be so unreliable that buying an extended warranty actually makes sense, then you should just buy a different (more reliable) vehicle, imo.

You are much better served by taking the money that would have paid for the warranty, and investing it. If you do that consistently, you’ll end up much farther ahead than if you waste it on extended “warranties”.

·
Registered
2 Posts
As a general rule, I do not buy extended warranties. They are a huge profit center for dealers and that is because they cost a heck of a lot more than what they expect to pay out in repairs. If you think a product is going to be so unreliable that buying an extended warranty actually makes sense, then you should just buy a different (more reliable) vehicle, imo.

You are much better served by taking the money that would have paid for the warranty, and investing it. If you do that consistently, you’ll end up much farther ahead than if you waste it on extended “warranties”.
Any mechanical thing can break down, dishwasher, refrigerator, etc. You lose the engine and your covered. I work at an auto dealership part time( mainly Infiniti) and have seem many repairs covered under extended warranty.

·
Super Moderator
565 Posts
Any mechanical thing can break down, dishwasher, refrigerator, etc. You lose the engine and your covered. I work at an auto dealership part time( mainly Infiniti) and have seem many repairs covered under extended warranty.
Nothing you said contradicts my advice. Sure, a handful of people will get their use out of ONE warranty. People win the lottery, too…. But lottery tickets are a bad retirement strategy.

The fact is the overwhelming majority of extended warranty purchases will pay out much less than their cost. So most people will NEVER have a chance to brake even, let alone get ahead. Even for those few that might have a large event covered would still be better off paying out of pocket for repairs because if they consistently saved the money from the warranty and invested they would certainly be ahead long-term.

I have yet to see a single example where an owner was better served by always buying the warranty rather than skipping the warranty and investing. NOT A SINGLE EXAMPLE.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Did you guys get the extended warranty on your Infiniti QX30?
I did. I did find it a little odd that most dealerships in SoCal did not sell these certified. I looked for about 2-3 months and found only 1 during that time. I wound up negotiating the extended warranty with finance and got 6yrs/77k miles for what I thought was a fair price.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Ive never had a car that ever needed the extended warranty. I may have bought a couple cars in the late 90s with that warranty and it was just a complete waste of money. I hope i never buy a car that would need that warranty. This QX30 i bought without doing much research at all...i needed a car quick but hopefully this isnt the first car i ever bought that really needed that warranty.

·
Registered
15 Posts
No, I never buy extended warranty's, I'm at 95K miles.Getting ready to change out spark plugs,service the transmission( I was told to leave it alone, but now have a leak from the gasket I need to fix). At 20K + miles a year,I get my value back in use.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yes we got the wrap warranty on our 2018 with 35,000 miles. It can be used at any Infiniti Dealership nationwide, and it's transferrable. But we plan on keeping the car for the next 4 years as the factory warranty expires the end of August. I believe it depends how long you keep your vehicle, and how much you're willing to invest when anything mechanical goes. Everything inside the Qx30 is electric assist and I would complain if my power lumbar/seat stopped working. Something as simple as wiring harness for a sonar sensor is $1000 USD, plus cost to install, and obviously not every person on this forum is as mechanically equipped as others. It's essentially winning the lottery with car repairs, you may never strike it rich, or you may never need to use it. I believe we made the right choice in our situation given our driving habits and our level of mechanical expertise. To each is own!

·
Registered
15 Posts
No right answer on this one, Depends on your comfort level. Cars are just a commodity, If the cost of repairs are too high, Walk upfront and trade it in on the spot. I'm on y second set of brakes ( 60K first set) ,second tires (70K Continental run flat), Oil changes&tire rotation every 5K. Eyebrow on drivers side is dim, could be a bulb,may need a whole assembly. first issue out of warranty. I'll also ask about trade in value wile I'm there.No doubt it will be surprisingly low.Overall its been a good car, I wish I had a power gate.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts