Infiniti QX30 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Changing out my engine air filter, but can’t see (identity) what kind of screwdriver tip is required to remove the cover. Looks kinda like a starfish, but nothing I have works. It’s driving me crazy! Wish it just used clips or Phillips, unfortunately, the 2017 QX30 does not😡
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
585 Posts
It’s late and I don’t feel like going out to my driveway to double check... but if you’re saying it looks like a “star” then it’s most likely Torx. I also wouldn’t be surprised, as that’s a common faster for this application.

If you’re going to DIY maintenance, you’ll want a decent set of torx bits.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, my current set only went up to T15,,will look to find t20,25, & 30. Thanks again��

·
Registered
148 Posts
Have you reached 45K miles already? According to the maintenance schedule, the air filter's maintenance interval says "Replace every 45,000 miles or 48 months."

·
Registered
32 Posts
whoops, i believe its t25, there are two other videos that state its t25, rather than the t15. thanks Zee for that maintenance schedule

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A T20 did the job.
As for why I changed so soon, dealer recommended I do so. Of course, I’m sure they’d like the $75 added charge in addition to the oil change. I only have 12k miles on it. A third do the air filter was very dirty, the rest was clean.

·
Super Moderator
585 Posts
A T20 did the job.
As for why I changed so soon, dealer recommended I do so. Of course, I’m sure they’d like the $75 added charge in addition to the oil change. I only have 12k miles on it. A third do the air filter was very dirty, the rest was clean.
If you were smart enough to tell the dealer "no" why did you spend the money yourself?

Studies have shown that air filters are most efficient during the middle of their lifetime. Changing the filter too soon just lets more crap into the engine and wastes money.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Filter was $22 from Amazon. Wanted to see the “dirty” filter for myself. So whilst I was able to examine said “dirty” filter, decided to just go ahead and change it out.

·
Super Moderator
585 Posts
¿Does using an aftermarket engine and cabin filters harm your car and your warranty?
As long as it meets OEM specs, no. You are allowed to use aftermarket parts.

I'd stay away from K&N or similar -- they do NOT filter well enough.

WIX, Mann, and Mahle are all excellent choices.

Reactions: Irmagart Collazo

·
Registered
2018 Infiniti QX30 Premium (Mother's Car)
133 Posts
As long as it meets OEM specs, no. You are allowed to use aftermarket parts.

I'd stay away from K&N or similar -- they do NOT filter well enough.

WIX, Mann, and Mahle are all excellent choices.
I use K&N filters on my vehicles and have never had issues. I've actually seen improvements with their filters in my previous two vehicles. I don't use their cabin air filters though, as there's no point in my opinion.

Reactions: Irmagart Collazo

·
Super Moderator
585 Posts
I use K&N filters on my vehicles and have never had issues. I've actually seen improvements with their filters in my previous two vehicles. I don't use their cabin air filters though, as there's no point in my opinion.
Confirmation bias, at best. All the scientific data I've seen clearly shows K&N being absolutely awful. You might as well buy a bag of playground sand and dump it into your throttle body.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Confirmation bias, at best. All the scientific data I've seen clearly shows K&N being absolutely awful. You might as well buy a bag of playground sand and dump it into your throttle body.
I mainly noticed it was effective on my previous Subaru Legacy. That car used to stutter a bit at low speeds, but when I changed to the K&N air filter it felt a lot smoother and pretty much resolved that issue. As far as on my old pickup truck it mainly made it sound a bit better. It has the same effect on my RDX by making it sound better and the response feels a tad bit better, but that might just be a placebo.

·
Super Moderator
585 Posts
I mainly noticed it was effective on my previous Subaru Legacy. That car used to stutter a bit at low speeds, but when I changed to the K&N air filter it felt a lot smoother and pretty much resolved that issue. As far as on my old pickup truck it mainly made it sound a bit better. It has the same effect on my RDX by making it sound better and the response feels a tad bit better, but that might just be a placebo.
Air filters are there to filter dangerous particles out of the air entering the engine. They aren't there for "sound". If you prioritize sound over filtration, then you're sacrificing reliability and longevity and even emissions.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Air filters are there to filter dangerous particles out of the air entering the engine. They aren't there for "sound". If you prioritize sound over filtration, then you're sacrificing reliability and longevity and even emissions.
I don't prioritize sound, it's just a cool benefit. I enjoy the extra 1-2 MPG as well, especially since I drive a lot in town. If I lived somewhere that was really dusty then I would stick with paper filters, but I don't lol. I've had nothing but good luck with them and can't complain. It seems to catch just about anything that my old filters did.

·
Super Moderator
585 Posts
I enjoy the extra 1-2 MPG as well, especially since I drive a lot in town.
Again, confirmation bias. Science does not agree with you.

·
Registered
133 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts