Infiniti QX30 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just discovered these over the weekend. Car is only 16 months old, and has less than 10k miles. I am taking it in next week for a recall, but will bring these up to see if the dealer can address it. What do you guys think? Poor leather or am I being too heavy? :D

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
431 Posts
I think that piece is vinyl — not leather.

AFAIK, only the seating surfaces are leather.

Reactions: Rapidfirerob4

·
Registered
184 Posts
I would absolutely take it in to see what they can do under warranty. That shouldn't happen.
Is the plastic kinda' sharp on the side where the pleather meets it? I can't imagine you being too too big if you picked this car. 0:)

I just discovered these over the weekend. Car is only 16 months old, and has less than 10k miles. I am taking it in next week for a recall, but will bring these up to see if the dealer can address it. What do you guys think? Poor leather or am I being too heavy? :D

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think that piece is vinyl — not leather.

AFAIK, only the seating surfaces are leather.
Oh, I didn't know. I will get the confirmation from the dealer after a visit.

I would absolutely take it in to see what they can do under warranty. That shouldn't happen.
Is the plastic kinda' sharp on the side where the pleather meets it? I can't imagine you being too too big if you picked this car. 0:)
I agree with you on this. I drive 15 mins a day (or none if I work from home), so this was a big surprise for me. Hopefully they can fix it under warranty after performing the recall.

No, not sharp at all. Yes, I am only 170 lbs. :D

·
Registered
123 Posts
Yeah, mine's not doing that at ~16 months, 30k miles. Does it sit in the sun a lot? Are you in a hot climate? Tinted windows or anything? Though not sure that part of the seat would be getting much sun regardless.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, mine's not doing that at ~16 months, 30k miles. Does it sit in the sun a lot? Are you in a hot climate? Tinted windows or anything? Though not sure that part of the seat would be getting much sun regardless.
Yes, it does sit outside 100%. I live in Suburb Philadelphia, and I take train to work. My other car and wife's car is in the garage, so QX30 is unfortunately stays outside.

Nope, not tinted (lease) - but I do have front windshield visor to keep the interior cool during summer time.

I am blaming this to Benz. :)

Reactions: pavy

·
Super Moderator
431 Posts

To me, it looks like there is rubbing occurring between that piece and the plastic trim, on the side of the seat. I wonder if OP is sitting off-center to cause the seat to compress there? Or perhaps they're sitting on the edge of the seat and sliding when getting in/out of the vehicle?

Not a great design, either way... But I'm thinking there is something OP is doing differently than you that is causing those two pieces to rub together.

·
Registered
74 Posts
That shouldn't happen. Dealer should be able to take care of it under warranty.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That shouldn't happen. Dealer should be able to take care of it under warranty.
I hope so too. I am taking mine in tomorrow, so I will post an update!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
UPDATE!

The dealer had to get an approval from the Infiniti HQ and Infiniti approved the seat replacement. QX30 is at the dealership and I got a brand new QX50 loaner... (Essential AWD w/ BOSE upgraded speakers = $48k MSRP)

I've only driven QX50 for about 50 miles (highway/city/twisty rural). QX50 moves like a feather (big thanks to higher TQ), and the steering feedback is absolutely amazing. Driver visibility is excellent and I barely used 360 camera when parking. CVT didn't feel like a typical CVT in Lexus/Mazda/Toyota (frequent work rentals....).

However, there are a few stuff that I am not too happy about...
- Speedometer is on the right, and RPM meter is on the left (picture attached)
- Super weak front windshield wiper fluid spray (dollar store water gun quality shooting)
- No unlock all doors option when touching the front door handles
- USB slot location fail (if you use USB to load music, then you cannot close the compartment door. Cup holders are right next to the USB slots - so be careful not to spill anything!! - picture attached)

Overall - I am happy about my QX30. :)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
431 Posts
Speedometer/tachometer orientation isn't an issue, for me.
Weak windshield wipers would be a concern.
No unlock all doors option? Really? That surprises me.

I like the way the new QX50 looks (old one was one of the ugliest vehicles on the road).
The variable displacement engine is a concern for me. Not enough to keep me away, on its own, but a concern, nonetheless.

The CVT is reason enough for me to stay away, however. I Can't even consider it for my garage.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Speedometer/tachometer orientation isn't an issue, for me.
Weak windshield wipers would be a concern.
No unlock all doors option? Really? That surprises me.

I like the way the new QX50 looks (old one was one of the ugliest vehicles on the road).
The variable displacement engine is a concern for me. Not enough to keep me away, on its own, but a concern, nonetheless.

The CVT is reason enough for me to stay away, however. I Can't even consider it for my garage.
I am so used to having left speed/right rpm, I am having a major problem. :)

Nope, no unlock door all by touching the front door handles. You need to open the front door and press 'unlock' OR use the remote to unlock all doors.

I am with you on the looks. QX50 looks amazing, but engine/transmission aren't amazing.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Congratulations on getting the seat replaced!
A few strange things on the QX50. Why would they orient the gauges like that and not allow all doors to be unlocked
at once? QX30 for the win!

·
Super Moderator
431 Posts
A few strange things on the QX50. Why would they orient the gauges like that a...?
That isn't actually strange... It's how Infiniti normally arranges the gauge cluster.

The QX30 is technically the oddball, as it uses a Mercedes cluster.

Here's the Q60:

Here's the QX60:

And Infiniti is certainly not alone. My MDX has the same orientation:

·
Registered
74 Posts
You can unlock all doors from door handle on QX50. Two different ways. One, which is the default, put hand in handle, then press the button. That will have unlocked all 4 doors. Or, go to Settings -> Vehicle and scroll down to "Selective Door Unlock" and turn it off. Then, putting hand in either front handle will unlock all four doors at once. This feature is standard to almost every other current Infiniti. Frankly, I hate the locking mechanism on the QX30 (and every other German car). It is so annoying to need a key to lock the car.

The speedo/tach is backwards on the QX30 compared to every other Infiniti. Thank Mercedes.

Weak nozzles sounds like something might be amiss with that particular car. I'm about to go drive a QX50, I'll check it out.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Glad to hear they're replacing seats. That's basically the standard procedure for service on something like that - Infiniti has to approve it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Great news on the seats! I knew they would take care of you.
About the QX50...nice interior and I love the technology idea of the engine versitility, but they dropped the ball by not making it as powerful as many other four-cylinder turbos out there already. The 2.0 AMG, Honda’s new 2.0 turbo, Cadillac’s 2.0. There are actually several more that beat it in power...then add the CVT to make it a little more boring. It’s nowhere as fun as driving the QX30 and nowhere near the power of the EX35/EX37. They did a lot right with that EX as evidenced by longevity of the design and the VQ HR. One of the most reliable cars I’ve ever had.
I’m looking forward to infiniti tuning the output of the 2.0 VC a bit more and dropping that in another vehicle with a more exciting transmission.
Congrats again on the seats and keep a close eye on them to see if whatever that was starts to happen again.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You can unlock all doors from door handle on QX50. Two different ways. One, which is the default, put hand in handle, then press the button. That will have unlocked all 4 doors. Or, go to Settings -> Vehicle and scroll down to "Selective Door Unlock" and turn it off. Then, putting hand in either front handle will unlock all four doors at once. This feature is standard to almost every other current Infiniti. Frankly, I hate the locking mechanism on the QX30 (and every other German car). It is so annoying to need a key to lock the car.

The speedo/tach is backwards on the QX30 compared to every other Infiniti. Thank Mercedes.

Weak nozzles sounds like something might be amiss with that particular car. I'm about to go drive a QX50, I'll check it out.
Ahh, 'Selective Door Unlock' is the key! I will keep that in mind for next time I get the QX50. Thank you!

All my current cars including the wife and sons are German/UK made, so I am so used to having left speedo/right RPM now.

How was the nozzle power on your QX50?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts