Infiniti QX30 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every car forum needs a thread like this.

It seems like a few days go by and I learn something new about this car or find a new feature. I don't know if there is a thread or if I should re-read the manual, but I like hearing about other people's experiences.

For example, every modern day car I've owned has a feature where the passenger-side mirror tilts down when engaged in reverse. I found the instructions on enabling this in the manual:

You can set the front-passenger side exterior mirror so that you can see the rear wheel on that side as soon as you engage reverse gear. You can store this position.

1. Make sure that the vehicle is stationary.
2. Switch the ignition switch to the ON position.
3. Press button 2 for the external mirror on the front-passenger side.
4. Engage reverse gear. The exterior mirror on the front-passenger side moves to the preset parking position.
5. Use adjustment button 3 to adjust the exterior mirror. You should see the rear wheel and the curb in the exterior mirror The parking position is stored.

NOTE
• If you shift the transmission to another position, the exterior mirror on the front passenger side returns to the driving position.
• If the driver’s side mirror is currently selected, the passenger side mirror will not move when reverse gear is engaged.

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
This is actually a great idea. I myself never knew you could do that or that it was equipped with it as I'm sure a lot of other people wouldn't either. Especially the last bullet point in your note. Thanks for starting this thread, it'll help a lot of people out!

·
Registered
98 Posts
1) This car has "rear foglight" which is a very bright light near the left brake light. Activate it in heavy fog or rain to help people see you, or if you have someone tailgating you at night.

2) You can also turn on the left parking lights and right parking lights independently and leave them on when you turn the car off. This is useful if you are parking your car in a dark road. Turn the side closest to the street on so other cars can see your car easier. It won't drain the battery.

3) You don't have to push the Park button. Simply open the door and it will automatically go to PARK. Be careful when driving less than 5 MPH...if you open your door at 5mph or less, it will also shift abruptly to park

4) The intelligent cruise control and forward emergency braking is very smart. But I wish it would brake sooner, but it brakes when it does (very late) on purpose, because it knows it can stop you safely and give the person behind you more time to not hit you.

5) Reset the inTouch system if it becomes slow by holding the volume/power button down for a few seconds.

6) There is no way to turn off the headlights at night, nor the DRL's...

7) Your car makes all sorts of weird noises hours after you've turned it off. Easier to hear if you park in the garage..but it's very weird to walk in the garage several hours after you get home and you hear the qx30 making humming noises. The manual says it's normal and related to the turbo.

8) I wish the steering wheel volume control was on the left side, not the right :(

9) Tap up on the cruise all the way, and it goes up by 5 MPH, only halfway up goes up by 1 MPH. Same for tapping down.

10) Half tap on the blinker turns your blinker on for 3 flashes.

11) Small hidden storage bin under passenger seat.

12) With Intelligent Cruise control running and engaged (with no foot on the accelerator or brake). It relates to when a vehicle "cuts" in front of you, or pulls into the same lane just ahead of you, only to turn-off into another street or intersection seconds later. I.e. they're only in radar range for a brief moment, and then they're clear of your radar.

If you do "nothing" in this situation, your QX30 will slam on the brakes fairly hard. Rightfully so -- that's it's job. You could reach for the ICC lever to cancel the current auto-driving operation. Or touch the brakes yourself. Or just let the QX30 reduce you to roughly half your speed in a fraction of a second (and annoy you and all your passengers).

But instead, you can gently press the accelerator (that's the counter-intuitive part). This overrides ICC, and prevents that sudden jerking. Once the other vehicle has pulled away out of the ICC radar range, you can release your foot again, and resume your cruising...

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
  • If you don't have the push button start installed, you can save yourself some time when starting the car by briefly turning the key as demonstrated in this video (
    ). Essentially, quickly turn and let go immediately.
  • If you have the ICC enabled and your car has come to a complete stop, you can resume the ICC function by pulling the cruise control stock toward yourself (resume). This will work even if the engine is off due to the auto stop start. The car should automatically resume at the previously set speed.

Reactions: pavy

·
Registered
98 Posts
  • If you have the ICC enabled and your car has come to a complete stop, you can resume the ICC function by pulling the cruise control stock toward yourself (resume). This will work even if the engine is off due to the auto stop start. The car should automatically resume at the previously set speed.
Another thing I have noticed is that if you are using ICC and the car stops because someone is stopped in front of you and the auto on/off turns the car off...When the ICC detects the car in front of you moving, it will turn the car back on. You still have to push gas or resume on the ICC to get going, but it's a nice touch. It does get annoying when you're at a red light, and the car in front of you inches forward, it will cause your auto on/off to turn off and on many times!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Anyone know if there is a way to disable the auto engine off feature without having to press the button every time I get in the car?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyone know if there is a way to disable the auto engine off feature without having to press the button every time I get in the car?
Not at this time. Perhaps if we QX30 owners band together, we can convince Infiniti to offer an update similar not unlike the manner in which BMW F30 owners demanded that their cars remember the previous setting for auto stop start. BMW later implemented this as a software update for all F30 vehicles.

Reactions: Jcbama85

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Recovery Hooks

So today I needed to use the recovery hook. According to page 6-16 of the owner's manual, the recovery hook is "stored in the vehicle trunk." When I looked in the trunk, there was a cut out for the recovery hook, but there was none to be found. I guess I learned my car never came with them...? Can anyone else confirm if your car has recovery hooks?

·
Registered
98 Posts
So today I needed to use the recovery hook. According to page 6-16 of the owner's manual, the recovery hook is "stored in the vehicle trunk." When I looked in the trunk, there was a cut out for the recovery hook, but there was none to be found. I guess I learned my car never came with them...? Can anyone else confirm if your car has recovery hooks?
Infiniti went cheapo on us...No recovery hooks in mine either...Why did you have to use the recovery hooks?

Attachments

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Infiniti went cheapo on us...No recovery hooks in mine either...Why did you have to use the recovery hooks?
Yikes, that's surprising. I originally had to use them to pull something heavy (I know that's not the intended design of the recovery hooks).

I did reach out to Infiniti Consumer Affairs; here's what they had to say:

Thank you for contacting Infiniti and allowing us the opportunity to be of assistance.

We are sorry to hear that your vehicle is missing the recovery hook. We advise you to call or visit the sales department of the Infiniti Retailer you purchased the vehicle as they would be in the best position to resolve this for you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is it just me or when wind shield wipers are on one click up, they auto adjust to how much rain is hitting the car? I hadn't driven it in rain but last night we had a storm that went from horrendous to sprinkles to nothing. I never changed the wiper settings once, never clicked it up or down, because it moved more when there was more rain and less when there was less.

Can anyone confirm that?

Also - excited to go look for the passenger storage!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is it just me or when wind shield wipers are on one click up, they auto adjust to how much rain is hitting the car? I hadn't driven it in rain but last night we had a storm that went from horrendous to sprinkles to nothing. I never changed the wiper settings once, never clicked it up or down, because it moved more when there was more rain and less when there was less.

Can anyone confirm that?

Also - excited to go look for the passenger storage!
Yes, if your car is equipped with the rain sensor, that's the designed function. According to page 2-60 of the owner's manual:

"Vehicles with a rain sensor: in the ••• or •••• position, the appropriate wiping frequency is automatically set according to the intensity of the rain. In the •••• position, the rain sensor is more sensitive than in the ••• position, causing the windshield wiper to wipe more frequently."

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yes, if your car is equipped with the rain sensor, that's the designed function. According to page 2-60 of the owner's manual:

"Vehicles with a rain sensor: in the ••• or •••• position, the appropriate wiping frequency is automatically set according to the intensity of the rain. In the •••• position, the rain sensor is more sensitive than in the ••• position, causing the windshield wiper to wipe more frequently."
Is the rear wiper tied into the auto wipers in any way? My rear wiper only briefly comes on when I first turn the car on if it's raining. It does not stay on like the front in the rain. I wish it did.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Is the rear wiper tied into the auto wipers in any way? My rear wiper only briefly comes on when I first turn the car on if it's raining. It does not stay on like the front in the rain. I wish it did.
Interesting. There's no reference to the rear window wiper operation tied to the rain sensor on page 2-61. :(

Attachments

·
Registered
123 Posts
From what I've seen so far, it seems like when you first start the car (so after it rains, for example) and the front wipers need to wipe, then the back ones will wipe once automatically, but that's it.

On a different note, I was backing up earlier and my door was ajar (didn't realize it at first because there's no "door open" warning symbol...?), it beeped at me and said that my car wasn't in neutral...and then it put the car into park. Thankfully I was going very slow at that point. I understand why this would happen, but I had my foot on the brake at the time. Thought I backed into something haha. I assume this wouldn't happen at higher speeds (still working on reading the full manual).

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Finally had the chance to drive in the rain. The rear windshield wiper does activate when the car is in reverse and the front windshield wipers are activated. Very good to know!

·
Registered
62 Posts
From what I've seen so far, it seems like when you first start the car (so after it rains, for example) and the front wipers need to wipe, then the back ones will wipe once automatically, but that's it.

On a different note, I was backing up earlier and my door was ajar (didn't realize it at first because there's no "door open" warning symbol...?), it beeped at me and said that my car wasn't in neutral...and then it put the car into park. Thankfully I was going very slow at that point. I understand why this would happen, but I had my foot on the brake at the time. Thought I backed into something haha. I assume this wouldn't happen at higher speeds (still working on reading the full manual).
I think I am experiencing something related to what you are saying, but did you take your foot off the brake for a second?

Since I added the push button start piece, I noticed that the car will not go into Park when I shut it off. However, when I open the door (after hitting the annoying unlock button) it will go into Park.

I have made a habit now of either hitting the P button on the console or keeping my foot on the brake until I open the door.

When I had to use the key, as the key turned to the point where you can remove it, the car would automatically go into Park.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Yeah, I'm seeing the same thing on the car not going and going into park. I just use the button always. I may have taken my foot off the break momentarily, I don't know for sure.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts