Infiniti QX30 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick back ground I have a 2017 have it since Feb of 17 and has total of 2900 miles. I noticed the problem maybe earlier last fall is when I have the outside fresh air coming through the air vents with the blower on and I come to a stop I get a strong smell of exhaust fumes, when I go back to moving it goes away I have the fresh air and new car smell until I stop again. This happens every single time, no matter what temp setting as long as the outside air is coming through. If I change the air to recirculate mode I don't have that problem, it's not pulling air from outside.

I take to Infiniti the first time to take a look at it and they see nothing wrong with it and can't duplicate the problem, ok what ever they say it could be from another car in traffic and/or its part of the new car break in or something like that.

I go back a second time few months later to the same dealer to get them to look at again, they see nothing wrong with no exhaust leaks. They stated that the smell is normal as they compared to 2 other new QX30 models on the lot that replicated the same issue. Basically service said deal with it and leave the recirculating mode on :eek:.

I don't find this to be normal, this is not just a light smell, its strong where it consumes the whole interior to smell like exhaust. I believe there is some exhaust leak in the engine compartment as that's where the blower is pulling air right underneath the windshield area. I've also noticed at night when in my garage with the front headlights only you can like see fumes in the air right in front of the headlights.It looks like if its cold outside and you go to exhale lightly you can see your breath that's what it looks like.

Now I need to schedule an appointment to look at the windshield washer fluid as a go to use it the first time and it doesn't work. What to you guys think I should do about the exhaust smell? I'm definitely going to mention it again and you guys have any advice on what to tell them or say? Maybe I have been going about it the wrong way, frustrating for sure.

BTW this is the only dealer here in Memphis so I don't have the option of another dealer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The main problem with exhaust leaks is how hard they are to trace. But I can tell you that its definitely not worth breathing in carbon monoxide fumes because your dealer can't be bothered to locate it. First place I'd suggest checking is your cabin filter, to see if its absorbed the smell and that's what's leaking into the cabin. I have a feeling that's not the issue though, so you're back to locating it yourself. Here's a video of one easy method to determine where the leak may be coming from. Good luck. https://youtu.be/i1AFZQ_dQMA

·
Super Moderator
404 Posts
Carbon Monoxide is odorless.

Have you asked a friend or family member to see if they notice anything unusual?

·
Registered
184 Posts
I notice this in every car I drive...unless the air is on recirculate. Are there always cars in front of you when you smell it...or start smelling it? I would think it is another car's exhaust, not your own.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The main problem with exhaust leaks is how hard they are to trace. But I can tell you that its definitely not worth breathing in carbon monoxide fumes because your dealer can't be bothered to locate it. First place I'd suggest checking is your cabin filter, to see if its absorbed the smell and that's what's leaking into the cabin. I have a feeling that's not the issue though, so you're back to locating it yourself. Here's a video of one easy method to determine where the leak may be coming from. Good luck. https://youtu.be/i1AFZQ_dQMA

Forgot to mention Infiniti changed the air cabin filter and ran deodorizer in the vents the second visit.

Carbon Monoxide is odorless.

Have you asked a friend or family member to see if they notice anything unusual?

Your right Carbon Monoxide is odorless...what I smell say for instance you a sitting outside on the ground behind the exhaust pipe of a 70 GTO Judge idling, that's what I smell every time in the QX30 with open outside air and at a traffic light or in my garage by myself with no other cars around. Family members have smelt it also.

I notice this in every car I drive...unless the air is on recirculate. Are there always cars in front of you when you smell it...or start smelling it? I would think it is another car's exhaust, not your own.

I have a 4runner and a Altima also, I smell the occasional clunker I'm behind like normal with them. I run the outside fresh vent with them all winter long with no issues. I can be in the middle of the desert by myself with no cars around and smell the exhaust in the QX every time. Also when I open my garage and pull in and turn the car off, when I get out I can smell that exhaust all around the car. The QX is the only car that parks in the garage. That's when I see the exhaust vapor coming out the front grille from the beam of the headlights. If in question it doesn't smell like oil burning, strictly exhaust.

·
Super Moderator
404 Posts
what I smell say for instance you a sitting outside on the ground behind the exhaust pipe of a 70 GTO Judge idling, that's what I smell every time in the QX30 with open outside air and at a traffic light or in my garage by myself with no other cars around. Family members have smelt it also.
When I think of the exhaust smell of an older vehicle I think of a gasoline-esque smell -- often because of the carburetor not providing precise fueling, and the vehicle running rich.

I would say that is NOT a normal smell for a modern vehicle. I'd be concerned that you have a fuel leak or something similar. Does your state do emissions inspections? Perhaps you could have them connect their "sniffer" to your tailpipe and run their tests... Also perform a visual inspection.

If your Infiniti dealer is not giving you satisfaction, and there are no other dealers you can go to, then you may want to call Infiniti Consumer Affairs and open a case. They're open Monday through Saturday, 7AM to 7PM Central time. Their phone number is 800-662-6200.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I ageee. Call Infiniti unless there is another dealer close enough to give it a 2nd opinion (I have 4 within 30 minutes)
Take a video of the fumes / smoke that you see in the garage with your headlights. That has got to help your case. Hope you figure it out. 😐

1 - 7 of 7 Posts