Infiniti QX30 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since I got this car in January, I have had a few battery warnings. The first went away by itself the day before the appointment. I went anyway, they confirmed recent error codes about the charging system but they said all was good.
The 2nd warning stayed on until I was able to take it to the dealer again. They said it needed a new alternator and gave me a loaner. I picked it up about 5-6 days later (had to order the part)
I immediately told them that the new alternator had a whine to it when you were 2500+ rpm, increasing with the revs. Brought it back to them and they said everything was fine and they couldn’t hear anything, so I’ve been trying to live with it.
Warning 3 last Tuesday or Wednesday. Other than the same whine it has had since they installed the new alternator, there were no obvious symptoms. Made an apt to drop it off Saturday and hinted it was probably alternator related. I continued to drive it the normal short trips between 3-7 miles a pop.
Thursday after dinner, went to a friends to watch some baseball and smelled burning plastic when I got out of the car. Popped the hood and saw a small stream of smoke from the fuse box area, popped that cover and saw this area connected to the positive current was melted good (Photo)
The dealer has it again and said they will take care of me, but hasn’t told me anything else yet. BTW, I have a blue ink QX30 sport loaner. 3k miles. The auto stop start works at last 10x more than mine did. I thought mine was fine and it jut took a while (20 + min) to warm up. This one works literally at every light and after about 2 minutes of driving, so I am sure mine never worked correctly. Now hat I have a benchmark, they are going to need to meet that with mine. Also hoping my ecu harness and computer are ok!
🙂

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I got my car back today, earlier than I anticipated. They said it was all related to a loose ground, I’m assuming from when they installed the alternator. They replaced the melted parts but I don’t think any other parts replaced. I will let you know when they email me the paperwork. The whining alternator noise has decreased a good 50- 75%. Could a loose ground have caused the whining noise?
The auto stop start is unchanged. I will probably take it back to them eventually so that can be addressed because that is a feature I do like. Overall I am very glad it was nothing significant.

·
Super Moderator
419 Posts
The whining alternator noise has decreased a good 50- 75%. Could a loose ground have caused the whining noise?
Yes, a bad ground is a common cause for that sort of noise.

Reactions: __XIS__

·
Registered
82 Posts
Thanks for updating the post with the fix! That's what can make this forum a good resource for such a small online community.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts