Infiniti QX30 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed an aftermarket CarPlay system? I rented a car and it had CarPlay and I want it so bad. I've seen a bunch of different options out there with some great reviews and some with not so great reviews. Just looking to get an idea of other peoples experiences. Thank you in advance for any insight you can provide.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Has anyone installed an aftermarket CarPlay system? I rented a car and it had CarPlay and I want it so bad. I've seen a bunch of different options out there with some great reviews and some with not so great reviews. Just looking to get an idea of other peoples experiences. Thank you in advance for any insight you can provide.
Not gunna lie man I have seen alot of things about this exact thing and its about 600 dollars and I got to meet a guy in Miami who actually did it and I dont think he did it right because he kept telling me that the steering wheel functions dont work because the kit he bought didnt come with a connector for them, I have been wanting apple car play too but there are just those little bugs that make it a little tricky. I am a software developer for nissan and there are some models that have the same screen as those in nissans and I am actaully trying to bypass the software to implement my own, If i ever get it ill let this community know.

·
Registered
Sportage IV, 20 / QX30 AWD, 18
32 Posts
Not gunna lie man I have seen alot of things about this exact thing and its about 600 dollars and I got to meet a guy in Miami who actually did it and I dont think he did it right because he kept telling me that the steering wheel functions dont work because the kit he bought didnt come with a connector for them, I have been wanting apple car play too but there are just those little bugs that make it a little tricky. I am a software developer for nissan and there are some models that have the same screen as those in nissans and I am actaully trying to bypass the software to implement my own, If i ever get it ill let this community know.
Community will wait - not breathing for the news ))) ThumbsUP!

·
Registered
2019 QX30
9 Posts
I bought a Unavi and installed it myself. The install took me a few hours but it's doable if you follow the install manual step by step and take your time. My only complaint is that you have to use Bluetooth to handle the calls. Overall I'm really satisfied with the product and glad to have CarPlay in my QX30. I'm happy to answer any questions you may have.

·
Registered
Sportage IV, 20 / QX30 AWD, 18
32 Posts
I bought a Unavi and installed it myself. The install took me a few hours but it's doable if you follow the install manual step by step and take your time. My only complaint is that you have to use Bluetooth to handle the calls. Overall I'm really satisfied with the product and glad to have CarPlay in my QX30. I'm happy to answer any questions you may have.
Can You took some photos or videos - what the benefits and menu now looks like? Also how You solve the power connection plug? In that horrible way when You put in the USB? Or hide it somehow else?

·
Registered
2019 QX30
9 Posts
Can You took some photos or videos - what the benefits and menu now looks like? Also how You solve the power connection plug? In that horrible way when You put in the USB? Or hide it somehow else?
It looks like the CarPlay interface any car that has it available, it retains the factory system and can be switched back and forth; I can now use spotify and waze. I think the power connection plug you are talking about is for audio, the QX30 doesn't have an aux connection and has to be run through the USB. I ended up drilling a hole just big enough to fit the cable through the back for a better look, see the attached pic.
Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Cable Auto part

·
Registered
Infiniti Qx30
25 Posts
It looks ugly, we lose one USB connector to power the phone.
If this plug is only used to power the unavi, you can cut it off and solder the wires from the back of the USB socket to the USB power cords. Or install an additional USB power socket under the console to connect this plug.
Then we have 2 USB connectors free, and the Unavi power cable will be permanently hidden under the console.

·
Registered
2019 QX30
9 Posts
It's not for power, it's for Audio, there is a separate USB cable with the Unavi system to plug your phone in to connect for CarPlay and charging at the same time. The lid can be closed and with CarPlay I have no need to use these ports anymore. It's really awesome.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Exactly as 'gar28' said. Unavi CarPlay system is using a separate USB cable to connect for Apple CarPlay and charging. Please refer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts