1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
An absolute waste of money.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Really? It suppose to allow more air flow and increase HP.
Complete and utter "Snake Oil".

The factory airbox supports air flow in excess of what the engine requires. Unless you are heavily modifying the vehicle (think bigger turbos, injectors, and a new ECU) to a point that the factory airbox became a restriction, then you shouldn't even think about swapping the intake.

Until you surpass the capacity of the stock intake system, you don't get any performance benefit from changing parts. It's a guarantee. In fact, if the new intake is more "open" then you risk making LESS power, as sucking in hot air from the engine bay would reduce power.

·
Registered
352 Posts
K&N FTW... Been using them for decades with nothing but positives.
Your engine feels differently. K&N doesn't filter worth a crap. You're effectively sandblasting your engine. It makes me sad to see a car so poorly taken care of.

·
Registered
352 Posts
HAHAHAHAHA... you are a joke. Move on with your K&N obsession.
If you over-oil a K&N filter, you can screw up your MAF sensor -- at a minimum you'll screw up it's readings until you clean it.
If you under-oil a K&N filter, it doesn't function as "filter".
Even when properly oiled, K&N filters pass considerably more contaminants than other filters (filters 13x worse than an inexpensive NAPA paper filter)
Even when properly oiled, K&N filters clog more quickly and hold fewer total contaminants than other filters.
Properly servicing a K&N filter requires more-frequent cleanings than simply replacing the OEM filter.
Properly servicing a K&N filter requires 24+ hours for the filter to dry, compared to a 5 minute change with the more-effective OEM filter.

Air Filter Comparison Study - GM Truck Central

The only joke is that people still choose to use those filters, even after being made aware of their deficiencies.

·
Registered
181 Posts
blah blah blah blah blah...sigh...LOL

If you over-oil a K&N filter, you can screw up your MAF sensor -- at a minimum you'll screw up it's readings until you clean it.
Even when properly oiled, K&N filters pass considerably more contaminants than other filters (filters 13x worse than an inexpensive NAPA paper filter)
Even when properly oiled, K&N filters clog more quickly and hold fewer total contaminants than other filters.
Properly servicing a K&N filter requires more-frequent cleanings than simply replacing the OEM filter.
Properly servicing a K&N filter requires 24+ hours for the filter to dry, compared to a 5 minute change with the more-effective OEM filter.

The only joke is that people still choose to use those filters, even after being made aware of their deficiencies.

·
Registered
20 Posts

Thanks for the info , nice research

·
Registered
181 Posts
@denny

I suggest you use your Google machine to do some of your own research. Some are biased (for whatever reason) and are selective on what they share.... I haven't ever had any sensor issues.. just better MPG. power gain is negligible, but turbos need air and if you do any mod, more air helps.
https://www.carsdirect.com/aftermarket-parts/advantages-and-disadvantages-of-a-kn-air-intake-system

"There are very few reasons not to buy a K&N intake system, as with K&N products, you always know what you are getting. Power gains are proven and displayed for each individual application, and their products are backed by extensive warranties. If you are unsure about which intake system is the best choice for your vehicle, K&N is a safe bet, and one that will not cause any warranty concerns down the road."

I know one person that has this AEM intake on their QX30 and they are very happy. I am happy with just the K&N drop in.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks XIS! I already ordered the filter and a bov spacer from turbokits , wait for my report after the installation!

·
Registered
2016 Q30S
3 Posts
Did some research on replacing the airfilter myself and I must agree with some of the comments above; there does not seem to be a clear advantage to upgrading unless you severely modify your engine, thus requiring a higher air intake volume. My 2.0l infinity was modified/reprogrammed to produce 260 bhp, and it seems to do so eagerlywith the stock air intake/filter combo.

The K&N filters generally seem to produce a nice sound. But i believe the placebo effect is responsible for most of the praise these products receive. The gains produced by these filters are usually under 5%, and they seem to underperform in filtering contamination. Check out this clip: Project farm air filter comparison

1 - 18 of 18 Posts