• 1 Post By p07r0457

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 03:37 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Default Metallic/Rubber burning smell after hard drive

I have a 2015 Q50 3.7 AWD with 35k miles on it. I just finished a getting a car wash and was on my 12 or so mile drive home and decided to drive spiritedly in sport mode manually shifting. its around 23f outside so the car stayed cool (temp needle didn't even move) anyway there is a straight road in my neighborhood that i live on and i always like to do a 1st gear pull on then slam on the brakes to turn into my driveway. as soon as i stopped and was pulling into the garage i noticed a burning smell inside. I parked and shut the car off and popped the hood. the smell was faint and i couldn't really locate where it was coming from. It had a smell in the engine bay and some near the wheels and a bit more near the rear of the car. The car is still under warranty for a while (50k bumper to bumper / 70K power train) so I'm not that concerned, I just want to know if its good to bring it in or not. Thanks!
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EthanWalter View Post
I have a 2015 Q50 3.7 AWD with 35k miles on it.
You probably want to find a Q50 forum.

Quote:
there is a straight road in my neighborhood that i live on and i always like to do a 1st gear pull on then slam on the brakes to turn into my driveway. as soon as i stopped and was pulling into the garage i noticed a burning smell inside. I parked and shut the car off and popped the hood. the smell was faint and i couldn't really locate where it was coming from. It had a smell in the engine bay and some near the wheels and a bit more near the rear of the car.
I'm glad you don't live in my neighborhood. Do you seriously think that is a safe, mature, and respectful way to drive in a neighborhood?

Quote:
The car is still under warranty for a while (50k bumper to bumper / 70K power train) so I'm not that concerned, I just want to know if its good to bring it in or not.
I'm not familiar with any warranty that covers abuse.
Rapidfirerob4 likes this.

2018 Infiniti QX30 Premium AWD - Majestic White
2019 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD Inscription - Onyx Black Metallic
2018 Honda Gold Wing Tour - Pearl White
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 09:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Default Maybe exhaust

Quote:
I have a 2015 Q50 3.7 AWD with 35k miles on it. I just finished a getting a car wash and was on my 12 or so mile drive home and decided to drive spiritedly in sport mode manually shifting. its around 23f outside so the car stayed cool (temp needle didn't even move) anyway there is a straight road in my neighborhood that i live on and i always like to do a 1st gear pull on then slam on the brakes to turn into my driveway. as soon as i stopped and was pulling into the garage i noticed a burning smell inside. I parked and shut the car off and popped the hood. the smell was faint and i couldn't really locate where it was coming from. It had a smell in the engine bay and some near the wheels and a bit more near the rear of the car. The car is still under warranty for a while (50k bumper to bumper / 70K power train) so I'm not that concerned, I just want to know if its good to bring it in or not. Thanks!

I once noticed that kind of smell once in my QX30, I parked after a hard drive in the highway (in a rush to pick up my kids at school). As soon as I exited the highway the school was two traffic lights away. I parked and noticed the smell, obviously I didnt open the hood there, but as I was getting their backpacks in the trunk I felt the smeel was more than in the front. I verified the exhaust pipes and it was definitely coming from there. However my QX30 has 5000k miles, and I'm not used to drive it that way, so I guess it was the first time the exhaust got so hot and internal components of the muffler system may have burned a little...also, a little clanking was heard from the exhaust when I turned the car off.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page