Transferring Infiniti Lease to Different State - Process and Experience - Infiniti QX30 Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Zee

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Default Transferring Infiniti Lease to Different State - Process and Experience

I relocated to Massachusetts recently and had to navigate the process of figuring out how to transfer my QX30's registration. I wanted to document this process so that it may be helpful to future leasees. Please note that the process may vary from state-to-state.
  1. First, make sure that mathematically, you know what you're getting yourself into. In Maryland, we pay the tax on the entire purchase of the vehicle. In Mass., the tax is based on the monthly payment. In my case, my monthly payment increased 6.25%. Also, my insurance jumped up 50%. Luckily, my lease ends in about a year, but this car has a very expensive insurance premium. I compared a quote for a 2019 Toyota RAV4 Limited AWD (for reference) and the insurance rate was substantially less and comparable to what I was paying in Maryland. I have two homes, one in Maryland and one in Massachusetts. Had I did some quick math before I started this process, I most likely would have kept my car in Maryland.
  2. Contact Infiniti Finance Lease Customer Network (1-800-887-5155) and let them know that you are moving. Provide them with the new address so that they can update your account.
  3. Wait at least three business days to ensure that your IFS account reflects the new location.
  4. Go to https://mytitlesupport.com and start the process of the state transfer. This costs $30 and what they do is send over the title to the appropriate organization. In Massachusetts, the title is sent to the insurance company. The insurance company then generates an RMV1 form that I need to pick up from my local insurance office. One very frustrating experience is that MyTitleSupport does not know where to send the title to and it is up to you to figure it out. No one has the answer, but in the state of Massachusetts, it should be sent to the physical address of your insurance company. If you are unsure, contact MyTitleSupport and ask them. They will tell you generally and you need to figure out the rest.
  5. Once the title is received, you can pick it up along with the appropriate form you need for your local RMV/DMV/MVA/etc. In my case, I then started a new auto policy for the state of Mass., effective the same day. Make sure that the lien holder and financial company information match between the title and any other forms that you're taking to the local registration authority. They're typical bureaucrats, so every detail counts.
  6. Go to the RMV/DMV/MVA/etc., and apply for new tags. In my case, before I did this, I changed my license from Maryland to Mass. I'm not sure if this is a requirement, but when I registered my vehicle, the person asked for my Mass., driving license.
  7. Get your new tags and send back your old tags to the previous state's RMV/DMV/MVA/etc. I mailed them via certified mail to Maryland's MVA. Maryland is very aggressive in fining motorists that don't have coverage on their plates until they are returned.
  8. Cancel your insurance from your old state once you can confirm that they have received the tags.

Overall, the process is not difficult, per se, but there wasn't much help from Infiniti or MyTitleSupport. My insurance company, Liberty Mutual, was probably the most helpful because they were responsive and guided me on the process. Well, they weren't helpful because of the rate increase, but I'm blaming that square on the QX30. Yes, the premium also depends on the location, but the rate to cover the car specifically was hundreds more per year.

2017 QX30 Premium AWD - Exterior: Black Obsidian - Interior: Graphite
Technology Package - Moonroof - LED Package - Navigation Package
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Garage

I don't think it's fair to compare insurance premiums for a premium/luxury crossover against the soul-less mass-produced tin can that is the RAV4.

2018 Infiniti QX30 Premium AWD - Majestic White
2019 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD Inscription - Onyx Black Metallic
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS - Candy Diamond Red
1986 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk S - Candy Aleutian Blue and Shasta White
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Today, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Zee

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

OK, perhaps an apples-to-apples comparison is in order for vehicle collision coverage per year from GEICO:

2017 QX30 AWD: $1,118

2017 MB GLA 4Matic: $618

It's still nearly 50% higher. In my opinion, it's not inexpensive to insure this vehicle given its value/price.

My point in mentioning the insurance rate is this: be sure it makes sense to transfer the registration to the new state (if you have that option).

2017 QX30 Premium AWD - Exterior: Black Obsidian - Interior: Graphite
Technology Package - Moonroof - LED Package - Navigation Package

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page