LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Default Just bought a qx30! few questions

Good evening gentleman,

I just purchased a 2017 qx30 with 25k mileage on it from a used car dealership, very few dings and scratches, overall great condition. I noticed few things, wanted to ask you guys what you thought.

1. There's a tubing that attaches to NOTHING(see circle blue, one end & the other end), very strange. Does anyone know what's going on here? [dealer had no clue]

2. The rubber sleeve isn't covering the end all the way(see circle red), is that normal/okay?

3. Did anyone replace the tires with non-run flat tires? If so, how was the ride quality?

4. Unfortunately, dealers had one key total, has anyone paid for a second, if so, how much did you pay? (stealership vs independent)

5. When your car is running on highway/local, on the engine temperature gauge, are your levels usually at 50%? i noticed mine to be around 70%.

Thank you for all your inputs and help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180920_203724.jpg (144.6 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg 20180920_203628.jpg (311.7 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 20180920_203617.jpg (298.1 KB, 40 views)
post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 11:38 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Garage

1. That looks like it might be the vent tube for the battery. You should re-connect that.

2. That's fine. The rubber sheath is just to prevent chafing. As long as nothing is rubbing against the wiring, you're fine.

3. I haven't. These vehicles don't have spare tires, so I think run flats are a good idea. I think it rides well, for what it is.

4. They're not cheap. It would have been wise to negotiate a 2nd key as part of your deal.

5. Yes, that's normal.

Image of battery vent tube from service manual:

samziocl and enoch like this.

2018 Infiniti QX30 Premium AWD - Majestic White
2019 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD Inscription - Onyx Black Metallic
2018 Honda Gold Wing Tour - Pearl White
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 01:04 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

We bought a 17 with 18,000 miles on it not that long ago. One key came with my wife's car as well. The key fob was supposed to cost $220 and programming $95. They had trouble programming the key. They had to order a second key fob and went back and forth with the engineers for ten days. Because of the length of time it took to get us two working keys, they knocked off a chunk of change. The SA at Infiniti of Marin said normally it takes an hour, due to it being a MB key fob, which is longer than doing any Infiniti key fob. This was unusual. You may want to call around and get a good price, and have your dealership of choice match it. That's what I did.
__XIS__ and enoch like this.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 12:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

I bought my ‘17 QX30 w/ 28K miles from a Buick dealers’ pre-owned lot. It only had one key fob but the dealer, without me asking, said he would get me a second from the Infiniti dealer (not same dealership owner). Got the second key back, programmed, at no extra cost. He showed me the Infiniti invoice and it was around $300 for the key & programming!
Rapidfirerob4 and enoch like this.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by p07r0457 View Post
1. That looks like it might be the vent tube for the battery. You should re-connect that.

2. That's fine. The rubber sheath is just to prevent chafing. As long as nothing is rubbing against the wiring, you're fine.

3. I haven't. These vehicles don't have spare tires, so I think run flats are a good idea. I think it rides well, for what it is.

4. They're not cheap. It would have been wise to negotiate a 2nd key as part of your deal.

5. Yes, that's normal.

Image of battery vent tube from service manual:

Thank your detailed response! I bought it from a Hertz so it was very difficult to negotiate the 2nd key fob, I really tried too. Had to push them to even replace 1/4 tires, they wouldn't budge on covering anything else.

****So I'm getting super nervous about the tube******
I looked at my battery (see attached, do you guys have the same battery???) and I don't see a battery vent tube insert point, and in addition, I'm not sure where the other end of the tube would attach to. Is it possible to see if you gentlemen have the same tube on your engine tube and where it attaches to?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180921_203156.jpg (247.2 KB, 24 views)
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 12:07 AM

Garage

That’s not the factory battery. Explains why the vent tube was disconnected. Not all aftermarket batteries have vent tubes. That looks like it’s probably a cheap lead-acid battery. If so, then I’d expect you’ll kill it quickly. These cars come with AGM batteries for a reason.

I would have encouraged you not to buy a car from Hertz. But live and learn. If a battery and FOB are the worst you have to deal with, then it’s not the worst of lessons.

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 12:02 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarchitect View Post
I bought my Ď17 QX30 w/ 28K miles from a Buick dealersí pre-owned lot. It only had one key fob but the dealer, without me asking, said he would get me a second from the Infiniti dealer (not same dealership owner). Got the second key back, programmed, at no extra cost. He showed me the Infiniti invoice and it was around $300 for the key & programming!
Good for you! I tried my best to get John L. Sullivan Chevrolet in Roseville to give us a second key fob, to no avail.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by p07r0457 View Post
Thatís not the factory battery. Explains why the vent tube was disconnected. Not all aftermarket batteries have vent tubes. That looks like itís probably a cheap lead-acid battery. If so, then Iíd expect youíll kill it quickly. These cars come with AGM batteries for a reason.

I would have encouraged you not to buy a car from Hertz. But live and learn. If a battery and FOB are the worst you have to deal with, then itís not the worst of lessons.
Thank you
You're absolutely right, a friend of mine has a qx30 rental from enterprise, I looked under the hood and found that it has the OEM car battery with the tubing. These retards must have put inferior lead-acid battery in.

Seems like Infiniti/Mercedes uses a protective plate under the battery using an adhesive as well. Geez...all I am thinking about is dollar signs lol

Do you know how much an OEM battery costs / protective plate costs?
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 07:38 PM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by enoch View Post
Do you know how much an OEM battery costs / protective plate costs?
I wouldn't necessarily bother putting another OEM battery in... However, you can get an Interstate AGM battery, such as the MTX-458 H6 for ~$200.

Our cars actually have two batteries... The second is a smaller "auxiliary" battery that is inside the cabin, under the dash, by the passengers feet. You may want to double check that you still have that battery present and see if it's the OEM one.

As for the "protective plate", I'm not sure which part you're needing (if any). Some batteries have a plastic spacer that is only needed to fill a gap so the battery doesn't move around. Or are you referring to something more?

The parts catalog lists these items that might be what you're talking about:

Support Assembly - Battery

648605DA1A
$102.42

Bracket Assembly - Battery Mounting
648615DA0A
$54.51

648605DA0A
$160.38

648605DA0B
$125.35

Bracket - Battery Mounting
648665DA0C
$9.84

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

I will definitely check tomorrow if the vehicle ATLEAST has the OEM auxillary battery, i hope it does. Definitely frustrating.

The protective plate is labeled as:

Support Assembly - Battery
648605DA1A
$102.42

I see on the owners manual that they recommend replacing that part when replacing the battery, is it absolutely necessary? As I never had a vehicle with an AGM nor Support Panel/Protective Plate under the battery.

Furthermore, would the car have to be reprogrammed at the dealership after the battery replacement?

Thank you again!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pp.jpg (248.1 KB, 12 views)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page