15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Default Electrical Problems Caused by Crushed Harness

I purchased my QX30 two months ago. It was back at the dealership one month after owning it because the backup screen was going black, the audio system was malfunctioning and once after turning the car off and opening the door the radio and lights continued to stay on. I was told it was a software problem and that they updated the system.

Then approximately 6 weeks after owning it I released the rear hatch cover to vacuum only to discover the left harness was crushed. The next day I went to the dealership and asked to have the part replaced. When I went in for my follow-up appointment for another problem I was told the cover itself couldn't be replaced, the entire wiring harness had to be done as well and the dealership wasn't authorized to do that since it was an $11,000 repair. The dealership contacted Infiniti and the request was denied. They said it was designed that way. But when I checked the QX30 loaner they had given me, it wasn't crushed. I then checked a couple other cars on the lot. One was crushed to the point it had actually pushed the VIN number plate up and out of place. Several of the other cars also were also crushed.

I then contacted Infiniti Consumer Affairs. Spoke to a regional manager who told me since I haven't had any problems "yet" with the electrical system they can't and won't do anything about it. She also said while my case has been documented she can't guarantee that if these problems don't occur until after the warranty expires, that Infiniti will be willing to assist me.

The major problem is from what I gather, everything electrical runs through that harness. The regional manager did say that every time the hatch is opened and closed those wires are getting pinched. She also said that even if/when they replace it, it will happen again. If it's crushed once, it's going to get crushed again.

I was told the only way something will be done is if enough people have this problem and complain to consumer affairs. IMHO it is a design flaw that Infiniti won't own up to.
Rapidfirerob4 likes this.
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 05:49 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Garage

How many times are you going to post this? I think one thread is sufficient, no?
pavy likes this.

2018 Infiniti QX30 Premium AWD - Majestic White
2019 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD Inscription - Onyx Black Metallic
2018 Honda Gold Wing Tour - Pearl White
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 09:30 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)

Thanks for the warning. I just checked mine and luckily, it was fine.
Get the BBB involved if you feel it was a MFG issue that they should resolve.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 04:18 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

p07r0457 Only posted this once under new thread. Did respond to several other folks concerns because I want to make sure everyone that is having what could be a related problem is aware of the situation.
__XIS__ likes this.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by svnisus View Post
I purchased my QX30 two months ago. It was back at the dealership one month after owning it because the backup screen was going black, the audio system was malfunctioning and once after turning the car off and opening the door the radio and lights continued to stay on. I was told it was a software problem and that they updated the system.

Then approximately 6 weeks after owning it I released the rear hatch cover to vacuum only to discover the left harness was crushed. The next day I went to the dealership and asked to have the part replaced. When I went in for my follow-up appointment for another problem I was told the cover itself couldn't be replaced, the entire wiring harness had to be done as well and the dealership wasn't authorized to do that since it was an $11,000 repair. The dealership contacted Infiniti and the request was denied. They said it was designed that way. But when I checked the QX30 loaner they had given me, it wasn't crushed. I then checked a couple other cars on the lot. One was crushed to the point it had actually pushed the VIN number plate up and out of place. Several of the other cars also were also crushed.

I then contacted Infiniti Consumer Affairs. Spoke to a regional manager who told me since I haven't had any problems "yet" with the electrical system they can't and won't do anything about it. She also said while my case has been documented she can't guarantee that if these problems don't occur until after the warranty expires, that Infiniti will be willing to assist me.

The major problem is from what I gather, everything electrical runs through that harness. The regional manager did say that every time the hatch is opened and closed those wires are getting pinched. She also said that even if/when they replace it, it will happen again. If it's crushed once, it's going to get crushed again.

I was told the only way something will be done is if enough people have this problem and complain to consumer affairs. IMHO it is a design flaw that Infiniti won't own up to.
Do you have any pictures so I can compare yours with mine? I am just curious.
svnisus likes this.

'17 ///M4 DCT - YMB/SO - Current
'17 QX30 Premium AWD - GS/Black - Returned
'15 Porsche Cayman S - White/Red - Sold
'14 Q50S - GS/Black - Returned
'13 Golf R DSG - Grey/Black - Sold
'11 G37xS Coupe - OB/Black - Returned
'08 MINI JCW - Red/Red - Sold
'05 E46 ///M3 - TiAg/IR- Sold
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

The last picture is of the undamaged harness on the right side. The next four are different angles of the left side crushed harness.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crushed harness 2.jpg (81.8 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg crushed harness 3.jpg (80.8 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg crushed harness 4.jpg (84.0 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg crushed harness.jpg (83.6 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg undamaged right harness.jpg (78.9 KB, 35 views)
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 02:34 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Garage

What's actually inside of that sleeve? Is there a harness? Or just wires? Was anything done to determine if there is something wrong with what's inside of the sleeve beyond the obvious outer compression/damage? It's kind of hard to tell, but it doesn't look that it's been crushed that much - are you sure there's something wrong in that exact spot?
p07r0457 and Rapidfirerob4 like this.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 04:15 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Garage

These are good questions, @pavy.

I'm not convinced that the pictures themselves demonstrate actual crush damage. Is it possible the harness if perfectly fine, inside, and it's only the boot that has been twisted?

2018 Infiniti QX30 Premium AWD - Majestic White
2019 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD Inscription - Onyx Black Metallic
2018 Honda Gold Wing Tour - Pearl White
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

I was told by the dealership service manager that one continuous run of wires which control everything electrical in the car are run through both harness covers. He explained that if the repair was authorized basically the entire car from front to rear bumper would have to be disassembled. Then when I spoke to the Infiniti regional manager she said, "yes the wires are being pinched but it doesn't make sense to replace the part at this time since you aren't having any "major" problems because the problem will just reoccur since it seems to be design defect."
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

The service department doesn't know what is causing the problems. They first said the car simply needed a software update which they did. But then yesterday the backup camera once again went black.