post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Angry Electrical issues - They are at a loss as to the cause

Kind of long, I apologize.

Just over three weeks ago (a Tuesday) I walked out to go to work and my car was completely dead. Nothing was left on in the car, but the battery was completely depleted. My son who is a mechanic put a meter on it and verified that it was in fact dead. I had two errors being reported, one was pointing at the ECM and another was something about low voltage. Once we finally got the battery charged up, I had a check engine light on that wouldn't go away. We drove it around a bit, parked it, then waited to see if we could start it, powered right up after sitting for 30 minutes. I called the dealership and took it in the next morning (Wednesday).

The tech who was assigned my QX30 said they couldn't see anything wrong, and that the battery was fine. As they were unable to find anything wrong, they sent it back home with me (Thursday). The two error codes I was told were bogus and didn't mean anything.

On Friday, I go out to go to work, and at least I can enter the car this time. I turn on the ignition and the dash lights up, the car starts (according to the Tach, it was quiet, couldn't tell it was running) and the dash gets an error, "Service Required. Do not shift gears. Visit Dealer". I immediately started taking video (DO THIS, it is proof they can't deny). After the "Service Required" flashed up on the screen, I get another "4WD system currently unavailable". Then it just flashed back and forth between those erorrs. I then proceed to to turn off the car, thinking "WTF is going on now", but now it won't start at all. Same messages, but Tach is stuck on zero.

Other things... At no point was the on dash "R N P D" lit up like it normally is. Console shift knob was also not lit up, would not let you put it in gear even if you wanted to. All lights were on in the car, radio was playing, console screen was on showing the map. At least this time it was not the battery.

I went inside to call the dealership as they were going to have to tow it. The service rep was asking me questions so I went back out to the car and it fired right off. Yeah, I trust this car now (Winter in Colorado and a car having odd issues, no thank you). Check engine light is once again on. They had me drive it to them (about 20 miles in morning rush hour traffic).

Once there the service rep read what the Tech had put int he notes, listened to what I had to say, and then started to get up to see if he could find me a loaner (they were really busy). I said "there is one more thing you need to see". I then proceeded to show him the video I had taken. I offered to email it to them so that they had visual proof that I wasn't making this nightmare up. He sat back down with my phone in front of him and started taking more notes. Again, take video of these weird issues this car is having.

It has now been 3 weeks since I took my car in. They have replaced the ECM, 2 wire harnesses, and the DCU as of last Friday (they believe it is shorting out somewhere). They said (not sure if I believed them or not) that Infiniti has authorized them to take the parts from mine and put them in another QX30 (supposedly the same model, trim package....premium with LED) to see what happens. They are on the phone with Infiniti engineers daily trying to figure it out.

How do you trust a car that not even the techs and engineers can figure out what is going on with it (my issue, the rattling in the roof, mine has rattling in the back around the trunk cover, screen issues, etc)? Has anyone seen anything like this? Reading the posts I see a issues like (one talked about 4WD being unavailable), but nothing quite like my ordeal.

Update: 2017 QX30 Premium, 1.3 years old, <6000 miles on it.

Last edited by Startide; 03-22-2018 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Missing information
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 05:22 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Garage

Yikes, that sounds bad. Maybe you got a lemon? Document everything. Research what the lemon law is, in your area. If it comes to it, file a claim and get Infiniti to buy your QX30 back.

On the bright side, it sounds like your dealer is interested in making things better, and is actively trying. That's huge.

Best of luck.

2018 Infiniti QX30 Premium AWD - Majestic White
2019 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD Inscription - Onyx Black Metallic
2018 Honda Gold Wing Tour - Pearl White
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 03:32 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Hello Startide you have the same problems I had with mine..... I started a topic "4WD not available" take a look at it. Mine got fixed by re-checking and securing connections on the central console/knob area....... I did not believe them when they told me that was the problem but car has not had the issue since.......
Now once in a while I do get the error 4wd not available maybe once a month but only last for a few seconds and disappears on it own (not even need to turn it off/on) my dealer is still looking into the issue with the engineers (that what they say) and I also have an open case with Infiniti Canada to make sure they have it on their records...........warranty.

I would recommend calling Infiniti Canada / USA and make sure they follow your case when I was dealing with them I was told they have had 3-4 more cars with the same issue and were looking into it.
Please keep us posted with updates

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)

Did you have a ton of errors being logged to the computer? They stated they were not able to reproduce the exact issue, but the computer is sending out a lot of errors. I will mention to them about the connections in the center console area, but since they have it torn apart looking for a short, I am hoping they already did that.

On another note, it is a lease, so if I do have to get them to take it back, hopefully it will be easier. But I don't think our lemon law here in Colorado will help me as I am over that year and they are only on the second attempt.

"When a new vehicle has been purchased with a manufacturer’s warranty and it has a defect that substantially impairs its use and market value within one year of purchase and that defect is not repaired after a “reasonable number of attempts,” the consumer may have recourse under Colorado’s Lemon Law. A court may order the manufacturer to replace the vehicle or refund the purchase price minus a reasonable allowance for use of the vehicle.

Under the law, a “reasonable number of attempts” to repair a defect applies when the same defect remains after it has been subject to repair four (4) or more times within the first year after the date of original delivery. It also applies when the vehicle is out of service for repairs for a cumulative total of thirty (30) or more business days during the warranty term or one year after original delivery, whichever comes first."
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 12:02 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Garage

@Startide I had a weird electrical issue before I even drove my car off the lot (camera system wasn't working). They kept it for two weeks and had to have Infiniti engineers come to the dealership before it was fixed. That was about 13 months ago, and so far, I haven't had any other serious issues.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 12:09 PM

Hi yes, there were a bunch of codes but mostly all pointed to battery being discharged and thus creating those codes......
I dealt with the issue for about 2-3 weeks having different loaners and rent cars as mine was kept at the dealer mostly because the could not reproduce the problem (sounds familiar??) until I opened the case with Infiniti Canada and after they called the dealer and spoke with service they were able to reproduce it and started looking everywhere, it was when they were told by engineers (so they said) to look under the central console re-attached the connections and voilà!! got fixed.

I strongly recommend you to call Infiniti USA and get them to follow your case.......
Keep us posted.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 09:52 AM

Well it seems that the problem has returned...... exactly same issues as I had back in Oct/Nov Saturday am went to turn it on and car was like with a discharged battery after a few tries it turned on and the 4wd not available + car not in P danger of rolling (something like that), emergency brake no operative, and the worse not being able to go into R or D actually not even the P was lit.....if I tried to go into R or D it would show: press brake pedal to switch gears....... (really...) left the car running for a few minutes, then the P lit up but unable to go into R or D; waited 2 min. turned it off and on again... and was able to go into R or D and drive..... had the message for a while few kms about 4 wd not available but car drove ok...... then message disappeared and no more problems until yesterday..... same stuff. Startide are you still having this problem? I thought mine was fixed but .......
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 12:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

The same thing happened to me back when I just got my QX30. I have a early 2017 model. Thankfully after the dealer charged the battery I haven’t had a problem since. This was back in February 2017.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFan714 View Post
The same thing happened to me back when I just got my QX30. I have a early 2017 model. Thankfully after the dealer charged the battery I haven’t had a problem since. This was back in February 2017.
Hello DisneyFan.... did you have the same problems with the AWD not available and not able to shift from P to D or R?
I noticed that since I stopped using the push start the problem disappeared (4 months no problems).... 2 weeks ago I got a new push button and no issues so far; maybe the one I had before was not working properly and was sending the car through different loops?? guess time will tell.....
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 12:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Hello,
sounds like a similar problem. I have 2017 FWD with about 25k miles on it. At first was not able to start the car after driving about 3 hours, although the electric seemed ok...but worked when i jumped a start. I assumed the problem was the battery, so purchased the charger and left it overnight. Next day got a message saying "check coolant level". I brought the car to Inf dealer (still driving fine), after few hours they told me the battery failed, so they changed it.
However a week after I was stuck in the middle of the road, same problem. Electric seems working (radio, lights not deemed , etc) But this time the jump start did not work, as well as the charger did not help. So had to tow it to the nearest dealer, where it is now.
My guess it is a started, doubt that the problem is a bad alternator i.e. low battery (otherwise I presume I would be able to jump a start) or the computer. So to be continued...

Would appreciate any thoughts.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page