5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Default Recently purchased 2017 QX30

Hi there. We recently purchased a used AWD QX30 (for my wife). I have a Mercedes CLA, so am very familiar with this vehicle, as you guys well understand. We've had it for three weeks and really like it. We only got one key fob with the car, and are currently fighting with the dealership to pay for a second one. The car only has 18,000 miles on it.
I'm sorry to read some folks are having the engine inoperative/limp mode issue some CLA owners have had. Luckily, I have not had any issues with my 14 CLA, which I absolutely love. Hopefully, we'll have good luck with this vehicle. We just had it tinted
and the had the Cilajet treatment. It's bronze color, BTW. Looking forward to hanging here on the forum!
As an aside, does anyone know how I can change my username. I didn't mean to use my email address as my username.
Rapidfirerob is a musical nickname I got in an original band in the 90s. I play bass in my own Allman Brothers tribute band, Idlewild West, out of the SF Bay Area, and do other projects. Thanks again!
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 04:37 PM
tt6

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)

Welcome!

Curious what made you choose the QX30 instead of the GLA250? What car did this replace?

What's going on with cars being sold with only one key fob these days? I think someone else just posted that as well. Can/did the dealership change the code on the car or does that mean whomever has the other key fob can gain access to your car? I don't think people think to change the ignition/door locks when buying used cars. Last time I bought a used car was nearly 20 years ago but I never even thought to change the locks.

For your username, you should reach out to a mod. This one has been active lately for some reason... https://www.infinitiqx30.org/forum/m.../sinecure.html
Rapidfirerob4 likes this.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)

Yes there have been more than a couple with just one key fob after purchasing used. Me included. Even though it took more than a month and two different key attempts, I did get the Nissan dealer I bought it from to cover it.

Cilajet sounds very interesting and useful.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

The car was originally a rental car. Weird how it didn't have two key fobs when this dealership bought it.
My wife wanted an larger SUV, but they're too pricey, for the most part. I'm glad she went this route.
She was considering a Mazda CX5, but it's really under powered. We got the QX30 for a good price.
She still has her 2000 Ford Taurus wagon, which she drives sometimes and will be used for gardening runs.
Really nice car and better gas mileage than a huge SUV. It's the luxury model with keyless entry and keyless go,
or whatever Infiniti calls them. I don't believe it has the premium sound system, but sounds all right.
It has voice command, which is nice. No navigation, unfortunately. No blind spot assist either. Crazy these
luxury cars don't come equipped with some of the safety features cheaper cars do. My CLA doesn't have blind spot
assist. Part of another package. MB loves packages.
I had Opticoat and Expel applied to my car when I first got it. I'm not one of those guys who hand washes and details.
I have the coating installed and take it to the car wash. I do use a car cover.
I'll contact the mod to see if I can change my username.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 11:52 AM
tt6

I'm sure your wife will love this car, it's a pretty nice step up from her taurus!

How do you like your Opticoat treatment? I'm the same way about hand washing/waxing cars. Does the dirt and grime really get all washed off in the carwash? Do you use a touchless car wash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapidfirerob4 View Post
The car was originally a rental car. Weird how it didn't have two key fobs when this dealership bought it.
My wife wanted an larger SUV, but they're too pricey, for the most part. I'm glad she went this route.
She was considering a Mazda CX5, but it's really under powered. We got the QX30 for a good price.
She still has her 2000 Ford Taurus wagon, which she drives sometimes and will be used for gardening runs.
Really nice car and better gas mileage than a huge SUV. It's the luxury model with keyless entry and keyless go,
or whatever Infiniti calls them. I don't believe it has the premium sound system, but sounds all right.
It has voice command, which is nice. No navigation, unfortunately. No blind spot assist either. Crazy these
luxury cars don't come equipped with some of the safety features cheaper cars do. My CLA doesn't have blind spot
assist. Part of another package. MB loves packages.
I had Opticoat and Expel applied to my car when I first got it. I'm not one of those guys who hand washes and details.
I have the coating installed and take it to the car wash. I do use a car cover.
I'll contact the mod to see if I can change my username.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Lazy I am when it comes to washing/detailing. Never use a touchless system. Caustic chemicals.
I use a local car wash called Kaady. I see lots of luxury cars there. Works well. If you want amazing,
you have to hand wash and detail. I can't post a link to the car wash as my post count is not high enough!!!!
Opticoat keeps it looking like it's been waxed IMO, and protects the finish. Cilajet does the same thing, which
we had done on the QX30, as I said. I had Expel put on half the hood, on my CLA. It's a protective bra applicant. Pricey, so
I did half. I saw some other guy had done half on his car. Once at work, a woman came in my classroom saying
that someone had scratched my car half way down the hood. Hoi hoi hoi!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 12:46 PM
tt6

Thanks for the sharing your experience with the Opticoat! I'm now considering either that or CQuartz for my wife's QX30, don't think it's worth it for my daily driver since I plan on selling it once the warranty expires. There's just no winning between the whole touchless with harsh chemicals vs a hand carwash place that will inevitably leave swirls. I prefer nothing touching my car unless it's a professional detailer or myself... and I recently reminded myself that the days of me hand washing and waxing a car and it being a labor of love are most definitely over!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)

I am one of the OCD ones that wash my own car...often. Each trip to the dealer has instructions to "do not wash". I carry microfiber cloths and some chemical brothers detail spray in the hatch...along with a car duster. yes - a bit OCD about it.

One thing that has taken some of the pain of self-washing away is I take my battery powered blower (EGO) with me and blow that sucker off and about 50-70% of the water beads up and rolls away. Makes drying it take just a few minutes max (and that is the part I dislike the most)
If I had bought this new, I think the Opticoat or the Cilajet would have been a great idea!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 05:19 PM
tt6

How long does it usually take you to wash and wax your car?

I also used a leaf blower to facilitate drying! I do wish it was ok to use one of my 2 cycle blowers since they blow a lot more air but I use an electric Greenworks blower, which I initially bought to blow out my dryer vent hose every year, works great for that too!

It's not too late to get the coating since your car is still relatively new! Most places I've found offer a paint correction service prior to applying the coating, which I'll definitely do. My challenge is scheduling the 3 days they will have the car with my wife's schedule.

Last edited by tt6; 08-03-2018 at 05:23 PM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Brought the car in today to get a second key fob, which they had to order. SA said it takes longer to program due to it basically being a MB key fob. Came back some time later saying the new key fob works, but the old one now does not, so they have to order a second one to program. It's always something, as Gilda Radner said. Not a big deal. Got a new Q50 loaner.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page