Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Default Lord Help Us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee View Post
I got a chance to record a video after leaving the office. My QX30 sounds nearly identical to yours when starting the car outside. Take a listen:

https://youtu.be/xI6lbbUvk0k

I also made a video while in the car. It sounds very quiet in the cabin:

https://youtu.be/kJ987rgB828
WOW... You're absolutely correct they sound basically the same. It blows my mind how loud these engines are, they sound like they are falling apart lol. My Q50 was good, my G35 coupe was music to my ears, this is satanic heavy metal compared. From the inside it is not to bad, I will give it that. Thanks for taking the time to make a video in return, I really appreciate it. I suppose now that I know this is just what it will always be, I guess it's time to start tinkering with the Turbo and Blow Off Valve to make up for the unholy noises coming from under the hood lol.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 04:46 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Sorry, I had posted this to another thread.

The noise you are hearing is the direct injection (DI) solenoids as they open/close to inject gasoline into each cylinder. DI bypasses the intake valve and is squirting fuel into the cylinder. The solenoids are really loud, just like my Focus ST that I had a while back. I have noticed the hood has no insulation underneath, probably for temperature dissipation reasons (this motor gets HOT) so no noise reduction as a result.

It's totally normal. Mask it with BOVs and better exhausts. Embrace it. It means extra HP
Rapidfirerob4 likes this.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

What @spinadog said is what my first answer is. DIG makes unusual noises. My 2016 Q50 Red Sport makes a ticking noise that is especially noticeable for the first 10-20 seconds after a cold start. QX30 noise is different, but the root cause is the same.

I'm a salesperson at an
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
in the Bay Area. Since many interweb jockeys think all salesmen are untruthful scum, certain users here suggested I put in a signature so you can completely disregard everything I say. YMMV.

You can PM or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
if you are around Northern California and want help with your Infiniti purchase decision.

I currently drive an AWD Q50 Red Sport. Also in the garage is a 1960 Bugeye Sprite.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My QX30 sounds like a chain and sprocket at start up and tends to surge at start up too. Infiniti should have installed a hood liner to reduce the engine noise/reflection. Infiniti service doesn't understand the QX30 because most of it comes from Mercedes. Looking at the Mercedes GLA forum, they have issues just starting, so I feel better now almost.

Another link https://www.infinitiscene.com/thread...tarting.34012/
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Our QX30 and CLA both sound like this (well, same engine). Neither has bothered me. I've had my CLA for four years and love it.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 10:39 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)

I agree it is a unique engine sound at start-up, unlike any engine I have ever had...but it is also the first direct injection Mercedes engine I have ever had. It sounds just like the loaner QX30 I had, and I believe it is pretty consistent with all of our engines.
Loaner cars of the same model you drive are always helpful for comparisons. If you had a noise or characteristic that you were unsure about (like our AC fans in speed 3 has a specific 'hum' to it. I was a little concerned about the fan motor until I drove the loaner that had the exact same noise at speed 3)
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 12:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by __XIS__ View Post
I agree it is a unique engine sound at start-up, unlike any engine I have ever had...but it is also the first direct injection Mercedes engine I have ever had. It sounds just like the loaner QX30 I had, and I believe it is pretty consistent with all of our engines.
Loaner cars of the same model you drive are always helpful for comparisons. If you had a noise or characteristic that you were unsure about (like our AC fans in speed 3 has a specific 'hum' to it. I was a little concerned about the fan motor until I drove the loaner that had the exact same noise at speed 3)
Oh, good to know it wasn't just me with AC 'hum'. Mine does it in speed 2, so I use speed 1 as much as I can while driving near any folks who are walking to stay in stealth mode.
__XIS__ likes this.

'17 ///M4 DCT - YMB/SO - Current
'17 QX30 Premium AWD - GS/Black - Returned
'15 Porsche Cayman S - White/Red - Sold
'14 Q50S - GS/Black - Returned
'13 Golf R DSG - Grey/Black - Sold
'11 G37xS Coupe - OB/Black - Returned
'08 MINI JCW - Red/Red - Sold
'05 E46 ///M3 - TiAg/IR- Sold
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 12:05 PM