User Tag List

17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 100 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Default Anyone Replace Halogen Headlight Bulbs With LED?

My girl just picked up her QX30 (without the LED package) and we were disappointed to find halogen headlights. After many years of owning/leasing Infiniti, we were surprised to see halogen - I expected HID with LED as an upgrade option.

Nonetheless, I haven't peeked behind the headlight housing yet, but I plan to in the next few days to see if there is room for an LED bulb. It appears the LED bulbs have a slightly larger base to accommodate the fan and cooling fins.

Just thought I'd as before I started my investigation!
post #2 of 100 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 12:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Default Anyone Replace Halogen Headlight Bulbs With LED?

I actually purchased a pair of LED bulbs from JDM Astar to install because I was also disappointed with the halogen bulbs. Although I'm pretty sure I ordered the correct bulbs, I discovered during installation that the connectors did not fit. I returned the bulbs and made an attempt to find a pair of LED with connectors that would fit but was unsuccessful. I decided to purchase a pair of Putco Nitro Blue 9012 Halogen bulbs as a replacement and the bulbs seem to match the LED DRL's and LED fogs perfectly. I'm pleased with them so far.

Attached is a pic after installation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender.jpg (196.4 KB, 213 views)
6t8stang and gregthomas84 like this.
post #3 of 100 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 11:40 PM
sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleaux View Post
I actually purchased a pair of LED bulbs from JDM Astar to install because I was also disappointed with the halogen bulbs. Although I'm pretty sure I ordered the correct bulbs, I discovered during installation that the connectors did not fit. I returned the bulbs and made an attempt to find a pair of LED with connectors that would fit but was unsuccessful. I decided to purchase a pair of Putco Nitro Blue 9012 Halogen bulbs as a replacement and the bulbs seem to match the LED DRL's and LED fogs perfectly. I'm pleased with them so far.

Hello,
I agree with you. I am disappointed with the standard lamps.
Did these lamps made a significant improvement in the lighting? If so, do you have the part number so I can order one pair?
Thanks.

post #4 of 100 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 12:34 PM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam View Post
Hello,
I agree with you. I am disappointed with the standard lamps.
Did these lamps made a significant improvement in the lighting? If so, do you have the part number so I can order one pair?
Thanks.
Hello Sam,

Unfortunately I did not notice any significant improvement in the light output, however, I was please overall with the look of the bulb versus the yellowish stock bulbs.

If you are looking for significant improvement in light output, I would not recommend the bulbs I used. I've listed the product info below in the event that you are interested.

Part#: 239012NB Putco Nitro Blue Halogen Headlight Bulb

Thanks
6t8stang likes this.
post #5 of 100 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi !
Do you have instructions or pictures how to pull/ replace stock bulbs from headlight housing? I am having trouble to pull the housing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleaux View Post

post #6 of 100 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Thanks Marleaux. I've tried two sets of LEDs from Amazon that didn't fit the housing nor plug. I may give your halogen suggestion a try.

QX30feb - you can turn your front wheels in to access and open the little door in the wheel well to access the bulb. I found it easier to remove the wheel to give more room to work. Once inside the little door, there is a cap that spins off. Inside that cap, you spin the bulb counter clockwise and pull out enough to unplug the harness.
post #7 of 100 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 04:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6t8stang View Post
Thanks Marleaux. I've tried two sets of LEDs from Amazon that didn't fit the housing nor plug. I may give your halogen suggestion a try.

QX30feb - you can turn your front wheels in to access and open the little door in the wheel well to access the bulb. I found it easier to remove the wheel to give more room to work. Once inside the little door, there is a cap that spins off. Inside that cap, you spin the bulb counter clockwise and pull out enough to unplug the harness.

Thank you "6t8stang". I'll try to see how it goes
post #8 of 100 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

I snapped a few pics today as I was replacing the bulbs for the 3rd time....this time the Halogens Marleaux suggested worked great. I still may swap them again for 9012 LEDs...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5216 - Copy.JPG (43.3 KB, 223 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5215 - Copy.JPG (33.1 KB, 215 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5217 - Copy.JPG (39.0 KB, 231 views)
post #9 of 100 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 11:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Has anyone considered an HID bulb upgrade?
post #10 of 100 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

The problem with HIDs are the ballasts required. You'll need to modify the cap on the back to feed the wires through. LEDs would run cooler and consume less power.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page