Anyone Replace Halogen Headlight Bulbs With LED? - Infiniti QX30 Forum
User Tag List

 17Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 100 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Philly Suburbs
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Default Anyone Replace Halogen Headlight Bulbs With LED?

My girl just picked up her QX30 (without the LED package) and we were disappointed to find halogen headlights. After many years of owning/leasing Infiniti, we were surprised to see halogen - I expected HID with LED as an upgrade option.

Nonetheless, I haven't peeked behind the headlight housing yet, but I plan to in the next few days to see if there is room for an LED bulb. It appears the LED bulbs have a slightly larger base to accommodate the fan and cooling fins.

Just thought I'd as before I started my investigation!
6t8stang is offline  
post #2 of 100 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 12:14 AM
Junior Member
 
Marleaux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Default Anyone Replace Halogen Headlight Bulbs With LED?

I actually purchased a pair of LED bulbs from JDM Astar to install because I was also disappointed with the halogen bulbs. Although I'm pretty sure I ordered the correct bulbs, I discovered during installation that the connectors did not fit. I returned the bulbs and made an attempt to find a pair of LED with connectors that would fit but was unsuccessful. I decided to purchase a pair of Putco Nitro Blue 9012 Halogen bulbs as a replacement and the bulbs seem to match the LED DRL's and LED fogs perfectly. I'm pleased with them so far.

Attached is a pic after installation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender.jpg (196.4 KB, 213 views)
6t8stang and gregthomas84 like this.
Marleaux is offline  
post #3 of 100 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 11:40 PM
sam
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleaux View Post
I actually purchased a pair of LED bulbs from JDM Astar to install because I was also disappointed with the halogen bulbs. Although I'm pretty sure I ordered the correct bulbs, I discovered during installation that the connectors did not fit. I returned the bulbs and made an attempt to find a pair of LED with connectors that would fit but was unsuccessful. I decided to purchase a pair of Putco Nitro Blue 9012 Halogen bulbs as a replacement and the bulbs seem to match the LED DRL's and LED fogs perfectly. I'm pleased with them so far.

Attached is a pic after installation.
Hello,
I agree with you. I am disappointed with the standard lamps.
Did these lamps made a significant improvement in the lighting? If so, do you have the part number so I can order one pair?
Thanks.
sam is offline  
 
post #4 of 100 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 12:34 PM
Junior Member
 
Marleaux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam View Post
Hello,
I agree with you. I am disappointed with the standard lamps.
Did these lamps made a significant improvement in the lighting? If so, do you have the part number so I can order one pair?
Thanks.
Hello Sam,

Unfortunately I did not notice any significant improvement in the light output, however, I was please overall with the look of the bulb versus the yellowish stock bulbs.

If you are looking for significant improvement in light output, I would not recommend the bulbs I used. I've listed the product info below in the event that you are interested.

Part#: 239012NB Putco Nitro Blue Halogen Headlight Bulb

Thanks
6t8stang likes this.
Marleaux is offline  
post #5 of 100 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 12:57 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Default

Hi !
Do you have instructions or pictures how to pull/ replace stock bulbs from headlight housing? I am having trouble to pull the housing


Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleaux View Post
I actually purchased a pair of LED bulbs from JDM Astar to install because I was also disappointed with the halogen bulbs. Although I'm pretty sure I ordered the correct bulbs, I discovered during installation that the connectors did not fit. I returned the bulbs and made an attempt to find a pair of LED with connectors that would fit but was unsuccessful. I decided to purchase a pair of Putco Nitro Blue 9012 Halogen bulbs as a replacement and the bulbs seem to match the LED DRL's and LED fogs perfectly. I'm pleased with them so far.

Attached is a pic after installation.
qx30feb is offline  
post #6 of 100 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Philly Suburbs
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Default

Thanks Marleaux. I've tried two sets of LEDs from Amazon that didn't fit the housing nor plug. I may give your halogen suggestion a try.

QX30feb - you can turn your front wheels in to access and open the little door in the wheel well to access the bulb. I found it easier to remove the wheel to give more room to work. Once inside the little door, there is a cap that spins off. Inside that cap, you spin the bulb counter clockwise and pull out enough to unplug the harness.
6t8stang is offline  
post #7 of 100 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 04:50 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6t8stang View Post
Thanks Marleaux. I've tried two sets of LEDs from Amazon that didn't fit the housing nor plug. I may give your halogen suggestion a try.

QX30feb - you can turn your front wheels in to access and open the little door in the wheel well to access the bulb. I found it easier to remove the wheel to give more room to work. Once inside the little door, there is a cap that spins off. Inside that cap, you spin the bulb counter clockwise and pull out enough to unplug the harness.

Thank you "6t8stang". I'll try to see how it goes
qx30feb is offline  
post #8 of 100 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Philly Suburbs
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Default

I snapped a few pics today as I was replacing the bulbs for the 3rd time....this time the Halogens Marleaux suggested worked great. I still may swap them again for 9012 LEDs...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5216 - Copy.JPG (43.3 KB, 223 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5215 - Copy.JPG (33.1 KB, 215 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5217 - Copy.JPG (39.0 KB, 231 views)
6t8stang is offline  
post #9 of 100 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 11:06 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Default

Has anyone considered an HID bulb upgrade?
Ket P. is offline  
post #10 of 100 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Philly Suburbs
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Default

The problem with HIDs are the ballasts required. You'll need to modify the cap on the back to feed the wires through. LEDs would run cooler and consume less power.
6t8stang is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome