How will the Infiniti QX30 differ from the Mercedes-Benz GLA? - Infiniti QX30 Forum
User Tag List

 3Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Default How will the Infiniti QX30 differ from the Mercedes-Benz GLA?





Infiniti is preparing the QX30 crossover for release in late 2015/ early 2016. When it enters the market it will be competing in a very competitive segment with the like of the Audi Q3, BMW X1, and the Mercedes-Benz GLA -- an almost identical vehicle. How will the QX30 differ from the GLA and how will it attempt to compete in the segment, especially against a vehicle that is almost identical?

Both the QX30 and the GLA are built on Mercedes-Benz' MFA platform. It is this fact that makes both vehicles look so similar. The long bonnet, high beltline, small windows, form of the C-pillar and form of the rear will all be basically the same on both vehicles. The QX30 will wear different badges and will sport a different grille, but that doesn't really differentiate the two vehicles that much.

Even on the inside of the vehicle both vehicles will have the same interior with the same floating display. Under the hood? Again, the same. The QX30 will be using the same 2.0L petrol and 2.2L diesel engines that the GLA is already using.

It is possible that the two vehicles will offer some differing features and options. Another possibility is that Infiniti will try to outsell the GLA by offering an almost identical vehicle for a slightly cheaper price. The GLA starts at $37,200 in Canada. Infiniti could sell the QX30 for a few thousand dollars less and hope that is enough to compete with the GLA. That possibility may be ruled out in the contract between the two companies however.

How do you think the two vehicles will be different from one another, and how do you think Infiniti can compete with the GLA when they are selling virtually the same product?

Infiniti QX30: The Mercedes GLA from Infiniti - MercedesBlog



heinz30 is offline  
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 11:35 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Default

If the QX30 is going to be similar to the GLA, then its going to be a very nice car for the money. It will be interesting to see what they put in the interior. I really like the fit and finish of our 2013 Infiniti JX. We currently have a 2014 Nissan Rogue SL and a 1995 Nissan 300ZX TT and would love to replace the Rogue with another Infiniti. Not that there is anything wrong, I just like the Infiniti features.
BobOB is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 06:46 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 209
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobOB View Post
If the QX30 is going to be similar to the GLA, then its going to be a very nice car for the money. It will be interesting to see what they put in the interior. I really like the fit and finish of our 2013 Infiniti JX. We currently have a 2014 Nissan Rogue SL and a 1995 Nissan 300ZX TT and would love to replace the Rogue with another Infiniti. Not that there is anything wrong, I just like the Infiniti features.
It also helps to look at the new Q60 concept, their latest one. While it is a concept it gives a great look at what they can do when aiming to be sporty. Then use your imagination to work that into production visuals.
BobOB likes this.
Infiniti_Guy is offline  
 
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 03:25 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Default

One thought is this, if QX30 is the same car as the GLA and priced similar to the GLA why shouldn't I just get a GLA? I mean you need to be delusional to think that infiniti holds the same brand cache as Merceredes...



Infiniti_Guy likes this.
Nessie is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 04:25 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 209
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
One thought is this, if QX30 is the same car as the GLA and priced similar to the GLA why shouldn't I just get a GLA? I mean you need to be delusional to think that infiniti holds the same brand cache as Merceredes...
Valid point.

Apparently they see potential in the QX30. Come time for order book to open, seeing how sales kick off and how its momentum stays over the long haul will add to make sense of this.
Infiniti_Guy is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 04:27 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniti_Guy View Post
Valid point.

Apparently they see potential in the QX30. Come time for order book to open, seeing how sales kick off and how its momentum stays over the long haul will add to make sense of this.
The only way I see Infiniti as capable of competing against its own metal under the GLA is by offering a TON of included kit. The GLA makes you option pretty much everything IIRC.



Nessie is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Default

The GLA seems like a Mercedes-Benz-light, whereas the QX30 fits into the Infiniti brand better in my opinion.

This is a valid question though. How will infiniti win over customers in competition with MB? Pricing, marketing and advertising, minute changes in styling. Will these things be enough?



heinz30 is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 02:39 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinz30 View Post
The GLA seems like a Mercedes-Benz-light, whereas the QX30 fits into the Infiniti brand better in my opinion.

This is a valid question though. How will infiniti win over customers in competition with MB? Pricing, marketing and advertising, minute changes in styling. Will these things be enough?
I think its got to be pricing. I don't care how creative your advertising is, I don't care when you distribute it, Infiniti cannot simply change 30 years of history. Mercedes is the legend of luxury and I'm sorry, expecially for millenial drivers, who grew up with their parents either in benzes or chasing benzes, because after all thats what people do, how is Infiniti now going to signal to them that Infiniti is the new Mercedes... they probabaly can't... so price, or equipment but thats basically the same thing, VALUE!



Infiniti_Guy likes this.
Nessie is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 06:31 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 209
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Default

Infiniti undercutting MB is the best play they can take, as high as they try to propel the brand they don't go high enough. Plus staying as brand that isn't as high as the germans ain't so bad, they'll move these in good numbers.... they just need to know their place.
Infiniti_Guy is offline  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 10:38 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniti_Guy View Post
Infiniti undercutting MB is the best play they can take, as high as they try to propel the brand they don't go high enough. Plus staying as brand that isn't as high as the germans ain't so bad, they'll move these in good numbers.... they just need to know their place.
Agreed, Cadillac is learning a painful lesson right now. Yes you can build good cars, yes you can price them as if they're german, but they're not german and people want german for german money...

Lexus has been happy to sit just below the germans and CLEAN up... I dont understand why Acura and Infiniti still fiddle...



Nessie is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome