12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Default Want Push-Button Start?

So I saw that some people have complained that this car doesn't have push-button start. I found this curious, since it has the same key as a Mercedes and they have PB start. So we tried an experiment. We popped the start button out of an E-class we had on the lot and put it into a new QX30 (it fits perfectly and looks like it was made for the car). With the key inside the car, push the start button a couple times and the car starts. After that, one push and it starts. Car will not start if the key is not inside the car. Basically, it seems to work flawlessly. Someone from Infiniti told us the car needs a different wiring harness for push-button start to work properly, but so far anyway, that runs contrary to our experience.

Note, THIS IS IN NO WAY AN INFINITI APPROVED SOLUTION AND IT COULD POTENTIALLY CAUSE SERIOUS PROBLEMS. IF YOU DO SOMETHING BECAUSE SOME SALESPERSON INTERNET JOCKEY TOLD YOU IT WOULD BE OK, YOU'RE ON YOUR OWN.

All that said, it seems to work fine.

You can buy the part HERE ON AMAZON for around $35. Here's what I got when I ordered a couple:

Taste the druck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6525.jpg (255.6 KB, 136 views)
Jcbama85 likes this.

I'm a salesperson at an
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
in the Bay Area. Since many interweb jockeys think all salesmen are untruthful scum, certain users here suggested I put in a signature so you can completely disregard everything I say. YMMV.

You can PM or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
if you are around Northern California and want help with your Infiniti purchase decision.

I currently drive an AWD Q50 Red Sport. Also in the garage is a 1960 Bugeye Sprite.
post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

(Thread Starter)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6526.jpg (186.1 KB, 136 views)

I'm a salesperson at an
in the Bay Area. Since many interweb jockeys think all salesmen are untruthful scum, certain users here suggested I put in a signature so you can completely disregard everything I say. YMMV.

You can PM or
if you are around Northern California and want help with your Infiniti purchase decision.

I currently drive an AWD Q50 Red Sport. Also in the garage is a 1960 Bugeye Sprite.
post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-17-2016, 02:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Thanks for posting this, hopefully Infiniti will actually make it a standard feature in a future production model year, it's too easy to add and the "ROI" on it is much bigger than the cost to add it.

post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-17-2016, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

(Thread Starter)

I've heard that it is going to be added at some point later this year or early next year. What I was told (don't completely believe it based on my experience with the above experiment) was that there needs to be an update to the wiring harness in the car. If you told me the sensors throughout the car that determine if the key is inside vs. outside the cabin need updating or tuning, I'd believe that. In the meantime, I have a client who is going to try it out for a while and see how it goes.

I'm a salesperson at an

You can PM or

post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 12:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Can't hurt to try. Just bought one on Amazon. Hopefully it works
post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 12:45 AM

I mean really... What's the worst that can happen. It's the same car so I can't imagine it would or could mess anything up. Do they pop in and out easily?
post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by q50aggie View Post
I mean really... What's the worst that can happen?
It could short out the entire wiring harness and since it isn't supported, could cost you a replacement of said harness - plus all the labor that goes along with that. That doesn't appear to be happening though. So far it is working fine.

I'm a salesperson at an

You can PM or

post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinecure View Post
It could short out the entire wiring harness and since it isn't supported, could cost you a replacement of said harness - plus all the labor that goes along with that. That doesn't appear to be happening though. So far it is working fine.
On the Mercedes forums, people say it will either work or or it won't work, depending on if you have the square on the outer door handle. I don't think there are different wiring harnesses since it came from Mercedes. Only Infiniti knows why they didn't include it. Maybe cost. Also are you Timmay237 on Reddit? He said the same thing. He tried it and it works great at his dealership.
post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 11:12 PM

Works like an absolute charm!

What I find interesting is all the press photos of the QX30 on Infiniti Online Newsroom shows this Start/Stop button installed. The question is why didn't Infiniti include it on these first batch of cars? Per Mercedes forums, if it works, your car has all the wiring harnesses, door handles, etc. Would Infiniti really have excluded this to save $30? Are they trying to make this an entry-level car without push button ignition? Did Mercedes not want them to use their Push Button Start?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-20160922_171025.jpg (83.2 KB, 137 views)

Last edited by q50aggie; 09-22-2016 at 11:21 PM.
post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 03:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

It could have been something as simple as a supplier issue, not sure what else it could be.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page