LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Default Make Your QX30 Sound Amazing - Full Review

Turbokits.com BOV Spacer Review For 2017 QX30 By Luis Cotto

Recently I got my hands on one of Turbokits.com blow off valve spacers. This device is designed to sit right behind the QX30’s BOV that happens to be an electronically controlled solenoid. The spacer is made of a solid piece of billet aluminum, thats has been CNC machined. In this review I will hit on three main points all of which are my honest opinions. I will touch on build quality, the install experience, and lastly I will describe the changes to the car. I will conclude the review with a summery, and finally talk about whether or not you should consider buying one.

In regard to the build of the spacer I was shocked with the quality of this piece. To my amazement everything about it was flawless. This is definitely not some gimmicky add-on you would find on ebay sold to you from china that will break in a week. This is a part made from a solid piece of billet aluminum thats has been CNC machined to perfection and the part fit spot on. I opted for the anodized black option, and the finish was impeccable. It came packaged with the one and only tool you need for the install, and three longer bolts. Both the tool and the bolts feel very nice, they don't have a cheap brittle feel to them at all. Heck the hex tool is possibly the nicest one I own today.

Six minutes is all it took to me install this part. The step I was hung up on was getting the engine cover off. Like with any new car, I didn't want to break a clip right off the bat. I learned that with these covers you can honestly be fairly firm with them. Grab one corner at a time, start from the corner closest to the drivers side headlight and pull straight up, the cover will come off fairly easily. Given what I know now, I could probably install the spacer faster. So now that you have the cover removed, locate the solenoid (Figure 1). Then I would recommend removing the plug that is connected to it, and also moving the vacuum line out of the way just a bit. Technically you don't need to, but I just find it easier that way (Figure 2). Now locate the bolts (Figure 3) and remove them. The order does not matter just don't drop them. To me they were snug, but were not overly hard to remove by hand. When you add the spacer this is the same way you want to put the new bolts in. Don't go full hulk, your car doesn't care, and you're not going to impress it. If you do think your car is impressed by your actions and has told you so, please seek medical attention. Now with the BOV off place, install the spacer on the back of it. Don't worry installing the spacer incorrectly, the bolt holes only line up one way. Put one bolt in to help you keep the spacer and the BOV aligned during installation. Put all the bolts back in, and don't forget to put the plug back in as well. That's it, you're done, there is really not much to it.

Now for the changes to the car, so here's what I can tell you to expect. You just installed a part on your car that took you five to ten minutes at best. For many of us, myself included, we come from a world where nothing on a car is ever just that simple. Well watch my video, you will notice a major change in the sound of the car in what could possibly be the easiest mod I have ever done to a turbo car. I managed to get the sound I wanted is no time at all, and with no check engine lights to follow. Would I say you're going to produce power from this? I don't really think so, but it is possible to gain a little something since the hot air from the turbo isn't being dumped back into the car. For me with this piece I was honestly going for aesthetic more than anything else, and it really does one heck of a job. I can't tell you how many times I have seen people look over in aw when they realize “Oh dang it was that crossover thing with the turbo”. Without a doubt it's not a very common thing to hear coming from a car in this class.

So to conclude, would I recommend this spacer. It is very clear that my review has been nothing but positive. I truly tried to find something negative to pick at, but with this part there really just isn't anything. It's a simple device with a fairly singular purpose that does what it's made to do, and it does a really good job at it. It's very high quality, its price is more than reasonable, the install is quick, and after the installation the car simply sounds. Lastly because I was so happy with the product I decided to call Turbokits.com. Acting some kind of review ninja I asked them some questions to see if their customer service was to par to their product quality. My incognito call in experience was also surprising, these guys are legit. They were nice over
the phone and very helpful. In no way did I feel rushed or were they rude to me, which goes a long way. Give these guys a shot, you won't regret it. So if you want to get one of these for your QX30 you can order one from here.

2017 Infiniti QX30 Blow Off Valve Spacer BOV for 2.0T GDi Turbo Model | On Sale: $95.00

Well everyone, it's been a slice. I Hope you enjoyed my review and video. I hope to see some videos of everyone else's cars and hear what you all have to say as well.

Last edited by EMS.Cotto; 05-10-2017 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Video out of place
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 03:22 PM

blow-off valve spacer or diverter valve spacer?

Anyhow, thanks for the write-up and the photos. This will definitely come in to use as I love that sound. Definitely doesn't do anything for performance but it sounds hella cool!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Default Diverted Or Blow Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey View Post
blow-off valve spacer or diverter valve spacer?

Anyhow, thanks for the write-up and the photos. This will definitely come in to use as I love that sound. Definitely doesn't do anything for performance but it sounds hella cool!
Hey Mickey,

In the case of this car from factory, your correct these are Diverter Valves. A valve that send the excess are back into the system is considered a diverter or a recirculating valve. On the website these are sold as Blow Off Spacers, I assume because to some extent they are making the diverter act like a Blow Off Valve. Personally, I believe the valve is acting as a mix of diverter and blow off.

I doubt all of the excuses air is being vented off.
The vent holes are not overly large, so I think a fair amount of the air is being sent back into the engine. I have not had any lights come on as of now (2 weeks running) so I don't think it has effected the richness it leaness of the car at all.

But your absolutely right, I am in love with the sound. Thanks and I'm glade you like it.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 08:18 PM
Zee

This is a great contribution to the QX30 community! For the price and sound difference, it seems like a solid value. The stock turbo whistle/BOV sound in everyday driving is so muted. The upgrade reminds me of my Gran Turismo 2 days when I maxed out the turbo upgrades on an R34 Skyline (e.g., https://youtu.be/8LVSkaHpqV4).

Keep us posted on how this upgrade affects your daily driving routine!

2017 QX30 Premium AWD - Exterior: Black Obsidian - Interior: Graphite
Technology Package - Moonroof - LED Package - Navigation Package

Last edited by Zee; 05-10-2017 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Correcting my own grammar
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee View Post
This is a great contribution to the QX30 community! For the price and sound difference, it seems like a solid value. The stock turbo whistle/BOV sound in everyday driving is so muted. The upgrade reminds me of my Gran Turismo 2 days when I maxed out the turbo upgrades on an R34 Skyline (e.g., https://youtu.be/8LVSkaHpqV4).

Keep us posted on how this upgrade affects your daily driving routine!
I have had this part installed a little over two weeks now. Overall I haven't noticed any change in the way the car drives at all, it drives just as good as it did before. The only difference now I suppose is I tend to drive it a little more aggressively so I can hear it lol.

I have actually had a person next to me ask "hey is that thing turbocharged" I replied with a yup and his response was "wow, sounds good man, nice work" little did he know my work took 5 minutes lol

That's probably the biggest change, you can actually tell the car is turbocharged.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 10:37 PM

How does this affect the warranty?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmychitown View Post
I am 99.99% sure the dealer will blame on this device if something happens to the engine/turbo compartment even though this device has nothing to do with it.

I have ECU chip on most of my turbo cars and I simply unplug it if i have to go to a dealer. i am sure you can unplug it before the dealership visit.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Default Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmychitown View Post
Hello Jimmy,

From what I have read, a dealer must prove that the part that you have changed on the car caused the issue for them not to repair the car in case something's happens while you car is under warranty. So for example if your car over heats, they can't say well your Blow Off Valve Spacer caused it.

Realistically, in my case to keep life simple. If I was going to clame a Engine issue under warranty, I would take the five minutes and just remove the part. Just so I don't have to deal with dumb people.

Just an update here: So far the cars still doing perfect with the TurboKits.com Spacer in place. I have had zero issues with it in place.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 10:40 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Thanks for this review, sounds like a nice addition. Now, if only I could find a sports exhaust that bolted on....
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017, 09:00 PM

Thank you for the write-up. I plan to purchase this for my QX30 Sport.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page