The Premium Small SUV Segment is Growing Fast - Infiniti QX30 Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-23-2014, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Default The Premium Small SUV Segment is Growing Fast

We know that Infiniti is going to release its QX30 small SUV sometime in the future as part of its plan to expand its line-up by 60% by 2020. This is a good move for them, and they should maybe think about releasing it sooner because sales figures from Europe show that the Premium Small SUV segment is growing quickly.

The segment is quite small right now, encompassing only 4 models at the moment. Each model has seen increasing sales when compared to the same point last year though. Overall the segment has seen an impressive 24% growth when compared to last year. The Mercedes-Benz GLA was introduced in June, and already it is within 1,000 sales of the number two spot in the segment. That is quite the accomplishment considering the BMW X1 has been on sale all year.

The segment that is right above the Premium Small SUV segment is the Premium Compact SUV segment. This segment includes vehicles like the Audi Q5, BMW X3 and Porsche Macan. That segment is not growing at nearly the same pace. Only 1% compared to last year. Analysts say that by next year the Premium Small SUV segment will actually be larger than the Premium Compact SUV segment. So automakers should be itching to get a product into the Premium Small SUV segment.

If Infiniti wants to really get a foothold in this segment, it should fast track the release of the Infiniti QX30 before other vehicles are seen as the staple of the segment. This is especially true since the QX30's design is pretty unique and could really help to define this new segment. If they come to late to the game, Infiniti may not make as big a splash and the QX30 may not be noticed in the slew of other options that are sure to be released over the coming years.
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-23-2014, 03:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Not bad at all, always had a feeling the Q3 would be in the lead when it comes to this segment. which makes me wonder for how much longer they will be able to hold that position for.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2014, 03:27 PM

The amount of sales the GLA has been getting is crazy, just goes to show how quickly MB can scoop up sales in a segment.
I've even seen a fair amount of them on the road for the time being.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 06:50 PM

i can bet you that a good portion of people buying that GLA have the badge as one of the larger reasons for buying it.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 05:51 PM

it'll be interesting to see how this changes over time.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockaway View Post
The amount of sales the GLA has been getting is crazy, just goes to show how quickly MB can scoop up sales in a segment.
I've even seen a fair amount of them on the road for the time being.
and the CLA

i have been seeing a good amount of CLA's on the road ever since they released.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 06:46 PM

had a chance to drive one around my buddies CLA and it was the least enjoyable MB i've driven.

not even a bit impressed by it.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 05:54 PM

There is some level of expectation you need to have in a vehicle like that. Can't expect a brand new $30k Mercedes to drive how other MB's do.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniti_Guy View Post
There is some level of expectation you need to have in a vehicle like that. Can't expect a brand new $30k Mercedes to drive how other MB's do.
you might be right, but this is Mercedes people did expect better out of it, but fortunately being a mercedes it's something people will look past.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page